Trans Topic

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New developmentys on the trans topic!

I was looking through ebay and noticed this Fuller 10 speed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=4543455895&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Guess where it came from?

A 1983 S-1854 4x4 with a DT466, which is basically a predecessor to my truck. What that tells me is a "big box" (twin countershaft) transmission should fit my truck!

If you look at the picture of the Fuller 10 speed, you'll notice it's quite wide.

Looks like I'm on the road to a twin countershaft big box!!!! :)

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, they'll fit. The bellhousing is a seperate piece, and they were made in both SAE-1 (most class-8's) and SAE-2 (most med truck engines). I have an RT910 sitting on a skid with an sae-1 on it. It's so clean and shiny black, I think it was a recon that never got re-installed...

On some mediums, the shifter set-back from the front edge may be an issue.... Might have to cut a new hole for it, and bend the shifter to set the knob back forward...or find the original hump-plate that went with it...if it's actually different than what went with the smaller med-duty box...

Or heck, maybe she'll just bolt right in! :D

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think a rebuilt RTO910 is worth (overdrive model)?

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duke, a couple weeks back, I saw a place in Portland advertising some on either Truckpaper or MLS; for about 700 bucks I think. Titled them as surplus recons.

It was either 700 for OD and 500 or regular, or 900 OD and 700 regular. Something like that.

I was also told recently that a regular RT910 can be made into an RTO by swapping a pair of gears inside. I believe it requires a press of some type; but the guy didn't make it sound like a 100% dis-assy and re-assy was required.

I have never driven an RT910, but every single person I've talked to said they are -the- standard to compare to. Supposed to be just a great tranny. Rugged, and sweet shifting.

ps; they're a crash-box tho....not synchro like the modern small boxes in the M/D's...

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's gonna be a real eye opener for me. I've only driven synchro transmissions.

If you find the RTO910 rebuilt boxes, let me know. I need some good prices to compare to the ones I get around here.

Sbrem

Reaction score
Duke said:
Yeah, that's gonna be a real eye opener for me. I've only driven synchro transmissions.

You will probably hate it for a short while until you get used to it, then you will love it. For a dump truck I really like the 8LL. But with your 2 speed T-case you probably don't need the deep reduction gear in the 8LL anyways.

Stephen

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
That truck is good for hauling topsoil or a farm truck that has loads under 10 ton it says in the add that it has a tare weight of 17,000lbs but thats prolly BS. I wouldn't pay much more than 10,000 dollars for the truck because legally it won't carry alot more than a single axle with a 35,000lb gvw. It will stop better because it has the extra 2 brakes.

I know once Duke gets the 13spd in his truck it will be a world of difference the fuel mileage will prolly increase the stress on the engine will decrease. I know Dukes hearing will come back to normal when he gets the 13spd in his truck no more screaming engine LOL

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the TARE of 17,000 sounds a bit light. My IH weighs 16,000. I would think that pup prolly weighs 18.5-19K.

Those kinds of trucks are ideal around here for construction & contracting work. It's compact, easy to drive, not much HP is needed and the hills are small.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys,

I took my big boy down today for the tranny transplant.

I'm supposed to get some news tues/weds on it. Sure am sweating this one.

I actually drove it over to them and double clutched on every shift
to start practicing!!! LOL

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Double clutching ???

You should learn how to double clutch then start practicing floating the transmission because its alot easier to down shift etc. I know some people are against floating but if you get good at it you can shift smoother than using the clutch. You should use the clutch for some shifts thou where you need to break the torque to make the shift.

Hopefully the swap goes easy with no big surprises then you can use the old 5spd for a boat anchor or try sell it to someone that has a 5+2 set up.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Duke said:
Yeah the TARE of 17,000 sounds a bit light. My IH weighs 16,000. I would think that pup prolly weighs 18.5-19K.

Those kinds of trucks are ideal around here for construction & contracting work. It's compact, easy to drive, not much HP is needed and the hills are small.

Your truck is only 16K? Upping the fuel & doing the gov springs must make it real nice to drive! Mine is 26,400 and moves pretty darn good for being that heavy.