Tranny Temps

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
I recently, because of a leak, removed my factory tranny cooler and replaced it with 2 aftermarket coolers mounted in front of the condensing unit.. prior to removing the factory cooler it was extremely rare for the temp to get over 140-150 even under a mild load....now with the 2 aftermarkets the tranny is always above 150 even on a cooler day?? So what gives???

Oh yeah the two new coolers ..one is rated at 26k and the other at 22K...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll ask a silly question here: Youre still using the cooler inside the radiator right? Then from there you are in series through your two aftermarket coolers?

I just installed a Tru-cool 4950 28000 stacked plate cooler yesterday. Unfortunatley I dont know the effects on my trans temps since DIS is jerking me around on my guages (which I had hoped to install last week).

Mike

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Wideopen,

A couple of things... are you running in series or paralel? I have heard that you actually get better cooling by running in paralel... By running hot oil into one cooler and then cooler oil into the next will not work as well as running hot oil into both ... You actually get more heat transference by running hot oil through both. Also I heard but know if its true, that in series there is a pressure drop on the system.. That one I don't know about, But the other is a proven fact.

Also, are you not running through the radiator any longer? The reason Ford went with the cooler inside of the radiator was because they found that air to air was not enough to cool the tranny's on these trucks, thus air/water exchange.

That might be your problem if you did away with the factory cooler.

Just some ideas for you.

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Mine never went through the radiator there was a cooler in-between the Radiator and the condensing unit thats it..the radiator has no place for tranny lines..I am running them parallel in one out to the other then back to the tranny??

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the factory cooler rated at? The two coolers you put on there should give you nearly a combined 45,000 BTU removal capacity. Thats alot of heat removal. Im stumped on this one as well. Are the coolers you put on stacked plate design or tube and fin?

Mike

Dockboy

Reaction score
Wideopen,

When was your 2000 built?

Most 2000 have both, an air cooler and a cooler in the botom of the radiator.

Mines a June 2000 build NVK5 truck and it does:confused:

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
What was the factory cooler rated at? The two coolers you put on there should give you nearly a combined 45,000 BTU removal capacity. Thats alot of heat removal. Im stumped on this one as well. Are the coolers you put on stacked plate design or tube and fin?

Mike

The new coolers are finn and tube.....

# 1404 Heavy duty driving, Cars, trucks, class "C" motor homes
GVW to 22,000 lbs.
7 1/2" x 15 1/2" x 3/4"

You must be registered for see images

1405 Heavy duty driving, trucks, class "A" motor homes
GVW to 26,000 lbs.
10" x 15 1/2" x 3/4"

I have the smaller of the 2 mounted where the bumper center hole is and the bigger above it

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dockboy
Wideopen,

When was your 2000 built?

Most 2000 have both, an air cooler and a cooler in the botom of the radiator.

Mines a June 2000 build NVK5 truck and it does:confused:

Mine is a early 2000 I have the NVK4 code and it only has a air cooler

this is kinda what it looked like

You must be registered for see images attach

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the stock cooler in the 94-97 year trucks, its a tube and fin style and a real POS

This is what I went to yesterday, Tru-cool 4950 stacked plate Low Pressure Drop rated at 28,000 gvw. Your stock cooler looks to be a stacked plate design. Was it? If so they are FAR more efficient than tube and fin types and that could very well be the source of you elevated trans temps now. You also may have a significantly higher pressure drop (equates to less flow) across two coolers in series now.

Mike

sagebel

Reaction score
I have a 2000 with the air cooler. When I put in the BTS I also installed the V-10 trans cooler(3" taller). Prior to trans swap it would take a while for temp to come up but would keep going. Now it quickly comes up to 150 and stays there. We had a couple days around 80 and I tried to work the trans to see if it would go up but it didn't.

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Originally posted by sagebel
I have a 2000 with the air cooler. When I put in the BTS I also installed the V-10 trans cooler(3" taller). Prior to trans swap it would take a while for temp to come up but would keep going. Now it quickly comes up to 150 and stays there. We had a couple days around 80 and I tried to work the trans to see if it would go up but it didn't.

This makes me feel a little better because i races up to 150 and a little over but I really havent worked it to see if it goes any higher

probear

AKA pooh :)
Reaction score
FYI, I lifted this from another site:
"Tru-Cool" self regulating coolers - Thick or thin, it's the oil that regulates the cooler. That's the principle behind the revolutionary new TRU-COOL SR series of self regulating transmission oil coolers. Thicker oil that is below the ideal operating temperature by-passes the cooler through the upper two plates. When the temperature rises, it becomes thin enough to pass through the entire cooler and receive TRU-COOL's superior heat transfer efficiently, automatically. To view our product catalogue click the document below.

also, go here http://www.longmfg.com/web/longwebf...bcf0077ad28/df6d58e066dcafcc05256c650003652a/ for the info sheet on Tru-cooll.

Sounds like your coolers are working just as they should.:D

Last edited:

Quadzilla

Reaction score
According to Dale Isley, the stacked plate design of the Tru-Cool is superior to the fin and tube design. And, even running the stock cooler in series with a Tru-Cool will reduce pressure enough for you to lose efficiency. His recommendation was for me to ditch the stock cooler, and replace it with a single Tru-Cool. My tranny temps, even when towing, have never exceeded 165, and when empty, never over 150 in the heat of summer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7