Track n go

KGIA103

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen these in action yet? There is another video I've seen where they install a set of these on a military Humvee, so I'm sure they are made stout. What do they feel like to an idi is what I'm wondering...?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Now to look at pricing just for laughs.

KGIA103

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$25 k is what I've seen.

From their site:

Vehicle Requirements
All 4×4 pickup trucks and some 4×4 Large SUV’s** that meet the following requirements:

• Automatic transmission with low range 4L
  • Automatic differential lock (or limiter slip diff.) on rear axle
  • Winter and all seasons tires with regular soft compound (Mud tires works but not recommended)
  • Important: Use tires without studs
  • Outside tire diameter required: 31 to 35 inches (780 to 875 mm)
  • Tire width: up to 13 inches (330 mm)
  • Engine: V-8 with 5 liters and up for full sized pickup truck and Large SUV’s also V6 for mid-sized pickup truck and Off-road SUV’s

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious(I've seen the producf before), but why is an auto a requirement? Seems to me like 4x4 low range 1st would work fine in a manual.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, and I think a 4 banger diesel would work just fine in a smaller vehicle, v6 being a requirement just seems silly

KGIA103

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious(I've seen the producf before), but why is an auto a requirement? Seems to me like 4x4 low range 1st would work fine in a manual.
I thought that at first too, but I almost feel like they are talking about the Tcase. Ie you can't use with an awd vehicle. Has to be full time, on demand, low range.

KGIA103

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it gives some added ground clearance and probably has some sort of gear reducing or increasing effect.

Runningaford

Reaction score
I've looked at those tracks; they look like fun for snow, but I think they're about worthless in practicality. Most tracked vehicles as I think most know, use brakes to steer. The videos of these in action on a vehicle, never quite focus on how great they turn; I'd be shocked if you could make a u-turn in under 100ft. Then how much wear, and tear is it putting on your front end steering components? I think some sort of half track would be better, perhaps even throw a ski under the front wheels; it would definitely steer easier; maybe not a tighter radius, but easier.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's just amazing any way you cut it. Being able to tear through a 3ft berm at will!

Now if they cost 25k... I'm guessing you can find some kind of dedicated snow track for that. But still really really amazing.

Runningaford

Reaction score
http://www.mattracks.co/tracks/trucks/

The original, better, proven, and only 3-4k each corner.
I knew a guy sporting some of those on a 6.2l diesel Chevy suburban that he used for plowing his long drive. It was the coolest thing I think I've ever seen.

I met the guy, as I was stuck in his driveway(about 2 miles long; thought it was a forest service road) in my Dodge diesel truck; it just takes one tire to slip off the ice into the culvert, and good luck getting a heavy diesel back out. Well, this guy definitely got me out easy, but while getting me out, his front hub just blew apart. He then told me how great the tracks were, but this was his third time breaking something like that.

The tracks are cool, no matter which way you go, but I really don't think they're plug, and play; at least without some serious beefing up of the existing rig.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm just glad that I live in Northwest Kansas and it doesn't snow that much here. Regular tires and 4x4 work just fine. They look cool, but I really don't like the snow all that much anyway.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that at first too, but I almost feel like they are talking about the Tcase. Ie you can't use with an awd vehicle. Has to be full time, on demand, low range.
It specifically says "automatic transmission". That would be a deal-breaker for me (well, so would the price.....).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance