towing- weight, speed, and temps

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
putting this thread here cause i don't want to know what the power strokes, cummins, and duramax's do... My question is for the folks running their IDIs and making them do work... My truck is primarliy used for hauling my play truck around, truck and trailer combined weight roughly 10.5-11k lbs, plus pull truck weight, so all in all probably 20k lbs running.. i am in FL, flat land running 95 degree days most of the year..when i combine that weight with wanting to run hwy spd my temps climb up rather quickly.. about 58mph and 4th gear seems to be the sweet spot to keep the temps at about 205-210 and when taking off and shifting the temps goes around 210-215 then running levels back out 205-210 again.. but if i hit 60+mph the temp goes to 210 and above, haven't let it get above 215 or so yet, i honestly haven't pushed it yet to see where it goes if i stay running above 60mph..but i also don't want to push it and screw something up and sit roadside with that much needing to get towed..
wondering what temps you folks see when hauling some heavy weight like that and at what speed ya'll are running? thanks guys..

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck, trailer, and tractor I'm near 16k and that's about my personal limit I want to haul with my truck the way it is. With that being said I've never seen mine above 220 with all the hills I have around me. 200 is 60mph cruising

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your towing numbers sound close, maybe a little high. I'd investigate two things: your clutch fan and your radiator. What's the bottom of the front of your radiator look like? I'd spray it down from the backside with a hose and see what falls off. After that, I'd make sure that the inside of your radiator doesn't look too corroded. I think the cooling systems on the IDIs are pretty robust if they are in good shape, but it doesn't take that much internal or external crud to limit their performance, which becomes more critical when you are towing heavy.

Just my .02 worth, but you could think about a Rodney Red radiator.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lotza - i am going to replace the radiator, it has developed a small leak here recently... but prior to finding the leak it still would run up in temp under the heavy load and hwy speed... i will also inspect the clutch fan...

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another rad to look into is the champion alum rad. Lots of members here are using one, myself included. I'm happy with the results and the fit is near perfect.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I put the fresh 7.3 + a turbo, zf-5 and hydroboost brakes I won't be too scared of the 20k mark. Hope to put a set of air bags also. Dads truck has them and its night and day trailer handling with and without them

I had a champion in my 88 crew cab and was very pleased with the price an quality. Sadly I never hooked a trailer to it before I sold it to see how it held up

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will look into that champion radiator, just looked at those rodney reds, wooo they are high dollar!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Rodney Red is an expensive radiator but its far above the best aluminum you can buy. I have had mine for 8 years now and just last weekend saw 205 degrees on the isspro electrical EV gause. I normally see 190 and no higher. Its a fine radiator. you may want to run a coolant system flush before you replace the radiator. Just flush the engine well and please... Remove the block drains and install okiegringo block drains. Those are the simple radiator drains with the nipple on the ends so you can instal a short rubber hose to it. Then you can direct the coolant to a bucket and not spread it all over the ground when it has to be drained for coolant system repairs. Also refill with steam distilled water only. Its non conductive so thee is no electrolysis action and it wont drop out minerals like tap or well water does.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks icanfixall, will look into all that.. i normally only see 190 when running empty,200 if i am heavy footing... my truck only gets driven maybe once a week usually, and usually thats with the truck and trailer in tow... average temp if i hold 4th gear, and 55-58mph while loaded it stays about 205-210... but when on open stretch hwy 55-58mph down here is impeeding traffic..

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also wondering, once i put new radiator in, would it hurt anything to add an electric fan to the system? my fan clutch seems fine, just wonder if adding the electric fan would be worth doing...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its my opinion that electric fans are not worth bothering with. Especially pusher fans as they block more air than they push.and theres no electric fan made that can match your mechanical fan and working clutch. I suspect that your fan clutch has lost some ability to pull air as it has aged.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10/4, maybe i will just replace it too then with the radiator.. also going to get with Banks and order a 3" downpipe,maybe that will help the engine run a little cooler when hauling...

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man up and get the 3 inch down pipe and 4 inch exhaust or just a 3.5 powerstroke exhaust....:D That always help with temps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert