Towing temps

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if it all works out this weekend will be the first time I am doing any real towing with my van for an extended distance. I have all my gauges hooked up, but wanted to make sure I had my limits straight,
1. EGT below 1200*
2. Coolant Temp below 240*
3. Trans Temp below 220*. Not 100% sure on this one. My trans is a C6.

What do you guys think?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. You might see slightly higher temps with the C6. Really depends on if you have a good oil cooler attached to it. They usually run a little hotter because torque converter never locks up.
Good rule of thumb is when your egt’s get high, drop a gear and wind the hell out of the engine. That’ll lower egt’s and actually provide better cooling for the engine believe it or not.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. You might see slightly higher temps with the C6. Really depends on if you have a good oil cooler attached to it. They usually run a little hotter because torque converter never locks up.
Good rule of thumb is when your egt’s get high, drop a gear and wind the hell out of the engine. That’ll lower egt’s and actually provide better cooling for the engine believe it or not.

Thanks. I have towed vehicles on an open car trailer before. Probably between 6000-7000lbs. I am going to look at a 30ft travel trailer on Saturday. If everything is in line I will be towing it home. Owner says the title says 5100lbs, but that it is probably closer to the 6500-7000lb range. Not too worried about the weight, but the bigger frontal area it is going to pushing a lot more air.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stupid question. where is your pyro stuffed?
only numbers I have is the pyro. I'm just outside of the driver's side exhaust manifold on the crossover pipe. with IC, I have yet to push past 1000* with a 10k/lb gross and a 10k/lb trailer. still running at 55 mph on a 7* grade up I80 heading into Truckee, Ca.
My ZF5 quiets down significantly after an hour of driving, so it must be happy. :D

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stupid question. where is your pyro stuffed?
only numbers I have is the pyro. I'm just outside of the driver's side exhaust manifold on the crossover pipe. with IC, I have yet to push past 1000* with a 10k/lb gross and a 10k/lb trailer. still running at 55 mph on a 7* grade up I80 heading into Truckee, Ca.
My ZF5 quiets down significantly after an hour of driving, so it must be happy. :D

My pyro is on the drivers side rear cylinder manifold.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I couldn't agree more. My daily drive home includes several steep hills and winding out 3rd gear always drops my EGTs as compared to lower RPMs in 4th. Plus I absolutely love how an N/A engine sounds at 3000 RPM, maybe it's just me:D.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. My daily drive home includes several steep hills and winding out 3rd gear always drops my EGTs as compared to lower RPMs in 4th. Plus I absolutely love how an N/A engine sounds at 3000 RPM, maybe it's just me:D.

3k? Mine sounded the best at about 3,850rpm lol.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your limits are spot on. When towing heavy I’d always see high coolant temps when really heavy. So don’t be afraid if it shoots up to 230, mine would get to about 235 and stay there up long climbs. If you see it start going past 235 just turn the heater on

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. If I do end up dragging the trailer home I will report back.

I checked all my fluids yesterday and fixed my broken trans temp sensor.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have towed vehicles on an open car trailer before. Probably between 6000-7000lbs. I am going to look at a 30ft travel trailer on Saturday. If everything is in line I will be towing it home. Owner says the title says 5100lbs, but that it is probably closer to the 6500-7000lb range. Not too worried about the weight, but the bigger frontal area it is going to pushing a lot more air.
That 5100 pounds is empty weight so if There is no fluid in any of the tanks that’s probably right. My 30 foot camper weighs in at about the same ,5300 is mine empty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked this up yesterday. No issues towing home. Trans stayed in the 160's, Coolant in the 190-205 range and only had to let off 1 or 2 times due to EGT. Pics below..
You must be registered for see images attach