towed "the guesthouse" for the first time

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You have a 5spd not an auto, I think everyone else said this but I'll add to it. You have about 3800rpms You can use safely, drop a gear and push the go pedal. Also regarding the high EGT's You might want to look into timing it if it was not done already.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also regarding the high EGT's You might want to look into timing it if it was not done already.

Keep in mind that ADVANCED timing will elevate the temperatures inside the cylinder while lowering the reading at the probe, due to the combustion taking place long before the exhaust valve opens.

In a heavy towing situation, slightly retarded timing is safer than advanced, so far as melting pistons is concerned. ;Really

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed this around all day yesterday
You must be registered for see images attach

The machine is 6500 plus the trailer, had it at 70 at the freeway like it was nothing. I havent weighed my truck for a while but my transfer tank has 100gal in it so im guessing 7500 at least. I never saw 1000 degrees but I do have an intercooler.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
all very interesting comments. ya i really do think i have a problem with revving the thing. i dont know why i just hate hearing that thing scream. unlike the one guy on here that keeps wanting it to rev to 5000 rpm! but ya, i think i do need to retrain myself on how to pull that. ive never towed anything that big with a pickup either. the GVWR on that camper is 10,900 lbs so the unloaded weight has to be lower than that. but i agree it feels way heavier than that. i hauled roughly 10,500 lbd home from charlotte and it pulled MUCH better. it was also a pickup on a flatbed trailer, not a 12' tall brick either. but even on the slower speeds before aerodynamics become an issue i can tell its heavy. and agreed on the axles and tires being too light. it only has 4700 lb axles on it but has a 10,900 gvwr??? even with 50 psi the tires still look a bit low. the bobbing is just having 2000 lbs pin weight and the really rough bouncy roads. i think airbags or a couple extra springs would help. and ya im thinking about the adjustable shocks too. so, do i spend a bunch of time and money getting this truck to tow it or should i look for a dually?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, do i spend a bunch of time and money getting this truck to tow it or should i look for a dually?

You could just put the camper on Craig'slist and that be that; or, block it up in the yard and rent it to some old hippie. LOL

As far as stability, a genuine DRW truck will make all the difference; but, a DRW IDI is still gonna pull the same as your truck. ;Really

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bobbing is just having 2000 lbs pin weight

Like I stated, they put the axles much too far forward for good weight transfer and handling; nearly all camper-trailers are plagued by this.

If the axles were located more like those on a goose-neck of equal length, it would put a lot more weight on the truck; and, by doing so, also take a lot of the pressure off of those much too light-duty axles/tires. ;Sweet

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
thats funny you mention that. i suggested putting it back up for sale but was IMMEDIATELY shot down by the other half. truthfully i love that camper. so does she. even though im pretty sure i could make about $2000 profit. but... id spend that in buying something thats smaller and that just doesnt make sense. i also said we could rent it out and have it paid for in about 1.5 years! also shot down. and ya, buying a dually would handle better but still tow the same...UNTIL the DT 360 gets swapped in!!!! then ill be a cummins-huntin som *****! hahaha! u see where i really want to go with this????

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
One reason campers pull harder than that of a equally heavy piece of equipment so something of that nature is wind resistance... The nose of that camper is catching a ton of air and you ain't gonna get away from the air resistance - you can shed some of it by using an air deflector but how much that's gonna help I don't know... I know from talking with Ron (dogmolester) that his big honk'n air deflector helps with the 5er he has (30ft you can stand up in the bedroom). I know from when I was pulling the 31TT we had - it was almost as tall as a 5er because it didn't have wheel wells in the trailer they mounted the tires well below the frame of the trailer and the E struggled with it quite a bit until I added a topper on the back which kept the air flowing over cab of the truck from sliding back down and slamming into the entire nose of the trailer - I could tell a difference and so could the E. And when I pulling the 30ft 5er with the nanny goat I after switching from the TT (same weight) the 5er pulled harder - less sway but I could tell that the nose was sticking up in the air.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air those 5er tires up 5-7 lbs cold over there rating. It will help the sway like you wouldn't believe, won't hurt a thing.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What RPM were you running? stay above 2000 on flat ground, above 2500 on hills or higher speeds or wind

What turbocharger version are you running? wastegated 093 can build decent low end boost but comes at the price of higher EGTs if you use too much of it

gatorman21218

Reaction score
So is it better to run high rpms even when unloaded? I'm thinking that my truck cant hit 55 going up hills (1900rpm) so should I drop into 4th and scream up?

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i believe its the 088 non gated. ive looked at those turbo wings, good Lord are they expensive!! im going to be running wvo so fuel cost isnt an issue. i cant justify spending $7-800 just to cut the wind better. id rather spend a few hundred more and swap in the dt360. boy i want that motor. im thinking about doing an intercooler soon. maybe one of my camping trips should be down mels way and get the thing timed too. i have no idea where its at.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you check out some of the RV forums, the general consensus with the wings is that they just move the smashed bugs up higher on the camper, no really noticable mpg savings. They do look cool though......

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i have heard several mention that it definately helps cut through a head/cross wind. mileage gains might be smaller but it does something at least. that and look really cool! mels got one on his dually he tows with right?? maybe he can chime in. kinda surprised he hasnt yet since hes got a big camper he tows too. i was thinking about this today, do you guys think my boost is a bit low? i do. would that maybe be a cause to my egt's also? if i can get egt down then i can give more throttle. right now im just driving by the gauges which kinda sucks.