Torquer Camshaft=Typ4?

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening all....I've got my 6.9 good and broke in now and when I rebuilt it, I stuck the old cam & lifters back in it. Now occasionally when I start it, I've got a cyl w/no compression due to a leaked down lifter or 2. As soon as it starts you can kill it and it restarts right up w/no problems.....no biggie, but I'm gonna fix it right at some point.
Now my problem, I've scoured the forums for specific info and availability, and I can't nail one down.
Does anyone have one or know where to get one? How about lifters and rocker arms....anything special there? Any help would be appreciated!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got some ready to go, I can get a price on lifters and rockers also if you like,. Also pushrods.??

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure replacing the pushrods wouldn't hurt! This really is the last step in having a brand new 6.9! Has anyone else had an issue with lifters leaking down? I've also noticed that it happens more frequently towards the end of an oil change cycle!?.
I can come up with a core cam too if necessary. What is different about these cams and what can I expect to gain from the swap? Can you give me a price breakdown and then a package deal?
Thanks, Quigly

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to take bussines away from typ-4. But seeing as your runnin a turbo, you might see if you can find a cam company local, or have it shipped off and get a regrind designed around forced induction. Or perhaps typ-4 can regrind you a different profile. Im sure the NA cam wont hurt the truck being turbo'd but im sure there is potential for more, and if your already going to regrind, why not get the best bang for your buck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The typ4 cam does all the above... Guess what the turbo 7.3 engines run for a cam.... The same non turbo cam found in all 6.9 or 7.3 engines.....:eek::angel: A member named Abull from Vegas "found" a cam builder located in West Covina Ca..... About 10 miles from me...:love: They quoted him $1800.00 per cam to make what he wanted... Not just a regrind.... So, now you have a choice... It just depends on what you can spend... The typ4 regrind is proven to work and work well.... Is there something better on the shelf out there... Not that anyone has found... Yet.... But we still look none the less. I also live about 3 miles from Blower Drive Service... BDS blowers was found on an id here in Ca a few years ago... So I printed the ebay pics and went shopping there.... The guy I talked with was their head design engineer. He told me they had nothing to do with the build but yes... That was their blower. They offered to build me a custom intake for their blower... One off price.... $18,000.00 to $20,000.00:eek: They told me if I got more orders the price would come down some.....:angel: That BDS blower was not much more than just the wow factor. Thats what the seller had to say about his own truck....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Txquigly, I will get some numbers and pm you, please set up your pm box.

The cam works very well, brings in boost lower across the rpm range, if we had engines that turned 7k rpm I am sure there could be major improvements in forced induction cam choice, but we dont.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
How many trucks are running the Typ4 cam? The only one 2 i know of are Typ4 and Goose. From what I hear, Russ's truck will haul some serious ass. We'll probably hear some results from Goose once he gets his turbo back in.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The typ4 cam does all the above... Guess what the turbo 7.3 engines run for a cam.... The same non turbo cam found in all 6.9 or 7.3 engines.....:eek::angel: A member named Abull from Vegas "found" a cam builder located in West Covina Ca..... About 10 miles from me...:love: They quoted him $1800.00 per cam to make what he wanted... Not just a regrind.... So, now you have a choice... It just depends on what you can spend... The typ4 regrind is proven to work and work well.... Is there something better on the shelf out there... Not that anyone has found... Yet.... But we still look none the less. I also live about 3 miles from Blower Drive Service... BDS blowers was found on an id here in Ca a few years ago... So I printed the ebay pics and went shopping there.... The guy I talked with was their head design engineer. He told me they had nothing to do with the build but yes... That was their blower. They offered to build me a custom intake for their blower... One off price.... $18,000.00 to $20,000.00:eek: They told me if I got more orders the price would come down some.....:angel: That BDS blower was not much more than just the wow factor. Thats what the seller had to say about his own truck....

I know the turbo models had the same cam, that doen not mean that its "good" otherwise, typ-4 wouldnt be selling cams at all. Like i said, im sure the typ-4 cam will not hurt running a turbo, in fact im sure it will increase over the stock cam. But surely you know that there is a big big difference in cam profiles for NA and for forced induction. There are even different profiles between different turbo characteristics. The typ-4 cam is a NA profile, surely you realize you can run a better matched profile and net bigger gains. Its great that he can get us this cam, im simply stating, it is not the end-all cam for every appliacation. Great for NA, good for turbo, but there are better profiles for forced air induction.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Harrybox... There are no better cams available for our idi engines. I feel your refering to cams found in gasser engines too. This is what we have in the idi engines...Low rpm compared to a small block gasser. We turn around 3500 to 3800 rpm....No big numbers there. Now add a turbo pushing 12 lbs of boost... No big deal.... So we have 12 lbs of air pressure living in the entire intake manifold pressing against the closed intake valve in the head.... Then said valve goes open.... Woosh.... That pressureized air rushes into a cylinder trying to pull in as much air as it can because the piston is creating a slight vacuum. Nobody really knows if the cylinder has 12 lbs of boost in it before the piston reaches the bottom of the stroke... I'm betting it does. So now all that pressure volume is pushed up into an area between the head and the piston thats around 42 thousands thick. Thats 4.100x around 4.100 square... Thats a lot of volume being crushed into a very small space. Then the diesel gets injected into this superheated compressed air. And your off to the races. In short it sucks, pops, blows and goes. Porting these air passages in and out of the heads willsincrease the flow. Like said... these are not gasser small blocks where youscan ruin a head by porting them wrong. We really can't ruin these heads by porting. Anything we do increases the flow. I personally feel the exhaust ports need the most porting.sWe have 12 lbs on boost waiting tosrush into the cylinders... Now lets get it out of the cylinders fast and completely.sMel has a very good cut down head showing the exhaust port. It clearly shows where the most important area is to clean up. Its the curve just after the seat. Its too sharp and needs to be smoothed out. Kinda straighten it out. You need a special grinding burr to grind this of the back side. I'm very good at getting to this area. Typ4 (Russ) is the member thats responsiblesfor the cut down heads that Mel shares at every ralley... He has painted them so you actually see the differant passages thru the heads... I can't thank both of these members for the work they put into these heads. Would anyone here spend $1800.00 for a one off "special cam" designed for our engines...Nope... Who here has the experiance to tell the cam builders whats going to work best for as turbo engine. I could afford the $1800.00 but I can't justily it. So for now we have a very good torquer cam thats getting the job done. This forum is a worldwide forum. So why can't we find some injector nozzles and pintles or a raw cam that we could have ground the way we want. Surely some far away land is casting these as we speak. Whay can't webuy what we have the economical money for....:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk