Tool tips

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps there is a place for this already, would make a good sticky if not.

Like a place to share "Tool Tips" i know you guys have some tricks up your sleeves.....

Here is one i was just reminded of as i was ordering a water pump. If you are not familiar with 3M's Roloc Bristle Discs, then I really suggest picking some up. The first time i removed an old water pump gasket with one of these was like seeing the light. They may seem a little pricey to some, but I have found them to be worth their weight in gold. I believe they come in three flavors, white, yellow and green. my experience is with the yellow ones mainly and in the 2" size.

and no, I have zero 3M affiliation

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I use them and the scotchbrite ones as well, just have to be careful. You can't imagine how many head gasket surfaces I saw destroyed with the scotchbrite ones. The bristle disks don't seem to do that damage, but I have had to clean some of the melted goo off a surface or two! lol

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Locking flex head 3/8's ratchet for getting to those transfer pump mounting bolts from underneath ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The 3M Scotchbrite pads will remove metal. We used them in the machine shop all the time for just that. Used on the block or heads to remove gasket material is to ruin the surfaces. No matter how smart you "THINK" you are or how lite you feel you can use them.. But your probably gonna have to attempt to prove me wrong.. This is something I know. They do a great job of removing stuff from gasket surfaces. But metal comes with them.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use them and the scotchbrite ones as well, just have to be careful. You can't imagine how many head gasket surfaces I saw destroyed with the scotchbrite ones. The bristle disks don't seem to do that damage, but I have had to clean some of the melted goo off a surface or two! lol

The coarse (I think they're brown) pads will eat aluminum... -cuss

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am fairly certain that we had a tips and tricks thread some few years ago.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have experience with the roloc scotchbrites, but i agree having used the large pads for all kinds of metal work. the bristle brushes are just plan awesome if you have to get a gasket/gunk off aluminum, no damage.

My tool tip...

90 degree impact adapters...ya I got em!

Love em!

pictures or it didn't happen :)

also, there is a locking type of flex head ratchet? going to buy one right now.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I use them both on gasket surfaces, but again, I've been a machinist for quite a bit of my life and know what I'm getting into. The bristles were made just because people thought they could lean on the scotchbrite ones too hard...the harder you lean on them, the quicker the gaskets come off, right? lol One of the handiest ratchets I've ever used is an SK, called a Roto Ratchet. They aren't cheap, but another company makes something similar, haven't tried the other one, but plan too. At any rate, here's what it looks like - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...&utm_campaign=enhancedrm&utm_content=22980381

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have experience with the roloc scotchbrites, but i agree having used the large pads for all kinds of metal work. the bristle brushes are just plan awesome if you have to get a gasket/gunk off aluminum, no damage.

Mine is a Snap-On but Matco makes them too (Locking flex head rules ;Sweet)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would strongly suggest you watch what you say....;Poke cause I don't do pics :rotflmao:rotflmao

Instead I gots VIDEOLOL

1/2" model
http://youtu.be/gpCU7L3KGQ8

3/8" model
http://youtu.be/8fiqOjZToio

BOTH Ingersol Rand!

NUFF SAID!

Now don't ask cause I'm not sellin:rotflmao ever!:backoff:backoff

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ I need one! ^^^^ The impact universals I have don't quite do the job sometimes -cuss

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coarse (I think they're brown) pads will eat aluminum... -cuss

I was using them yesterday to remove some paint on the ID tags on some large piston accumulators on one of our machines. I was unaware that the tag underneath was printed and not stamped.....yep no more model or serial# on that tank now :frustrate

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you check for a paracitic draw with a multimeter take a 10amp fuse and put it imbetween the meter lead and the neagative terminal, it will blow that fuse instead of the one in the meter.

For stick welding when reusing or before restarting a arc with the electrode it helps to rake it across a old file first, it gets all the slag and other crap off the tip the arc will start quicker and cleaner.
For tig welding put the tungsten in a cordless drill turn on and grind away you get a perfectly even tip all the way around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker