Took the plunge...

wmoguy

Reaction score
Hey NT, PM if you need help. I"ll give u my cell and we can walk thru it. Or if you prefer, call Joe at PaBio. He's a fantastic dude willing to help. He WILL call you back if you leave a vmail (Last I talked with him, he still held a day job while the business grew)

If you burned up an electric motor that was known to be in good shape something isn't going right. If you have the 65 gph fuge, like I think you do, it can be turned with a 1/3 hp motor. I made probably close to 1k gallons with the 65 gph fuge, and 1/3 electric motor w/o any issues. (thats about 6k hours of use and that motor has a new owner who I presume is still using it.)

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Motor was a half hp freebie. Pretty old unit. I didnt have a gage, only cranked the pressure up to get the fuge spinning and then left it at that setting. I do have a gage to install.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Motor was a half hp freebie. Pretty old unit. I didnt have a gage, only cranked the pressure up to get the fuge spinning and then left it at that setting. I do have a gage to install.

Gauge is an absolute must. You'll feel "spool" of the fuge as low as 45 psi, but thats half the pressure you need to run it at. 85-90psi is right where you want to be to do anything. At 90 psi you'll know its spinning. Solid mounted like yours is, it'll hum BIG TIME. The rotor is spinning about 10k rpms, and when you spool it down it'll sound like a jet engine coming to a stop

I'm pretty certain your problem isn't related to the fuge. They are super basic with very few moving parts. The only way you'll have fuge problems is if the feed stick (can't think of the real name right now, but its the rod the rotor slides down on) is clogged, or if your two nozzle/jets are clogged. I've clogged both before w/ a lil piece of thread tape (hate the crap dont use it) all you have to do to get it out is squirt a little brake cleaner thru them w/ the plastic tube the bottle came with.

If your motor crapped out and you think it was in good shape your pump is too much for that motor to spin. ICBW, but it seems like the guys using power steering pumps have to use larger electric motors than the ones that use the gear pumps designed for these "kits" They must just need more "juice". FWIW up until a week ago when I "upgraded" to a monstrous Oberdorfer pump w/ 3/4 hp motor, I had a 1/2 motor w/ carbonator pump. It powered my 108 gph PABiodiesel fuge with ease (i.e. it could easily power a 108 + a 65)

First things first, don't screw with it anymore until you get that pressure guage inline, post pump.

If your black o-ring at the base of the rotor is squirtin out on you, it's either that you tightened the nut down too tight (it just needs to be snug) or you might've gotten the wrong o-ring. I've not had that happen to me, but can't forsee how that could happen any other way. By accident I've had my fuge spinning w/ 140 psi for a short period, and it didn't spit out the o ring.

Edit: come to think of it, no way you got the wrong o-ring. the next size up they sell is the 108 gph. the rotor size is substantially bigger than the 65gph one. The 108 oring would fall right off the 65 gph fuge.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I did not realise you did not have a gage, I agree you need one. I have spit the oring out on mine when it would not spin up. It was clogged jets that messed me up. I actually watched it happen since I had the cover off wondering why I could not get it going. Shot my toolbox across the bay when it happened, not sure what psi it was a just quick spike on the gage and almost stalled my motor. Once I cleaned the jets I and reset the oring I was back in business.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
If your black o-ring at the base of the rotor is squirtin out on you, it's either that you tightened the nut down too tight (it just needs to be snug) or you might've gotten the wrong o-ring. I've not had that happen to me, but can't forsee how that could happen any other way. By accident I've had my fuge spinning w/ 140 psi for a short period, and it didn't spit out the o ring.

Edit: come to think of it, no way you got the wrong o-ring. the next size up they sell is the 108 gph. the rotor size is substantially bigger than the 65gph one. The 108 oring would fall right off the 65 gph fuge.

The nut on the top half of the bowl never touches nor never has touched the top of the bowl since I got it. ITs always had clearance. The pic I posted shows the clearance between the nut and the top of the bowl. as soon as presure builds, the bowl moves up and the o ring lets loose.

wmoguy

Reaction score
The nut on the top half of the bowl never touches nor never has touched the top of the bowl since I got it. ITs always had clearance. The pic I posted shows the clearance between the nut and the top of the bowl. as soon as presure builds, the bowl moves up and the o ring lets loose.
Oh that doesn't sound good. Sorry I didn't catch that in the pics. Yea if you don't have a seal it will not spool up. I'd call Joe or email him and ask for help.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Over pressuring the fuge will distort the cap. Thats why I was having issues. Got a gage on, put the cap for the bowl in a press and flattened it out and I am back in business.

Now I need to get the water out.........