Tires

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
So right now I have 235/85/16 on my 1993 f250 7.3 IDI....My tires are dry rotted and I am going to replace them. I don't want to go real big, but does anyone know what a "next size up" that would work without going too aggressive? Thanks for the input

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
285/75R16 or 285/85/R16 would be a good size.
what are you going to use the truck for Hauling/daily driver ?

me personally I'm going with some Goodyear duratracs great tire never had any problem with them ;Sweet

Last edited:

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
Hauling a trailer every once in a while....I plow with it. When not driving one of the work vans I usually take the truck!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oem rims are usually 16x6. 235/85/16 fits very well on them. 265/75/16 is the widest you will want to go unless you have zero plans on towing. ideally, you want the sidewalls to sit "square" in relation to the rim width and tread width. Unsexy and uncool looking, but you can tow just about anything with the combo and not have your sidewalls walk on you.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clarify "up". Do you want WIDER? TALLER? Both?

And +1 on the rims; are you planning on a different rim width?

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also knowing whether your IDI is turbo'd and what gears you're running is helpful. Taller tires obviously take a bit more to get moving, particularly if you're running NA with 3:55s, and could be more a problem if you do a lot of towing, especially with an auto trans. If you can fill out your sig, you won't have to answer all the questions every time for those who can't remember what you're running! LOL

I'm running 285s on 3:55 gears but I don't tow anything yet.. just haul wood so far... But I can definitely see the 33" tires being less desirable for towing than 31s with my current setup.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has 285/75/16 tires and 3.55 gears. I can attest to the above post that it does take more power to turn those tires. Before forced induction came into my life, 70-75 mph was about all she'd hold in overdrive (ZF5 trans). Toss in a bit of a headwind (not at all uncommon here in central KS) and things got ugly fast. LOL

Course now with a turbo those things are rapidly fading memories LOL

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!! I think I will just stay stock. Looking at it more I think they look good the way they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
both trucks 285 75 r16 and never looked back. Fills in the wheel well nicely and you can gain a little from slowing down the drivetrain (taller effect ratio with the tire change)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online