Tire shop: rant/question...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, stainless that gets heated will rust....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He talks about stainless throughout the vijeo.... Is almost 20 minutes long, but is good at explaining.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't think you will see that kind of heat there. Those center caps chrome plated, iirc. Pretty cheaply made. Doesn't take much to get a scratch and have rust poking through.
Brake dust can rust too....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you will see that kind of heat there

A buddy of mine had the caliper lock up on his corolla on his way to work. He kept driving it anyway. Got to work and the plastic hubcap had started to melt LOL Not exactly the same but made me think of it.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a guy show up with a caliper locked up on his 1500 Silverado. It was so hot the plastic lug and hub covers had completely melted to the lugs.... And then we shattered every stud on the wheel, I assume from being tempered lol..

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If that happened to a idi owner, he needs to hand over his man card..... (or woman card)
Heating up a metal center cap will be the least of your worries...

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that happened to a idi owner, he needs to hand over his man card..... (or woman card)
Heating up a metal center cap will be the least of your worries...
How about forgetting to take off the E-brake(dash brake light burned out just then) with a heavy load of hay behind me. 20 miles later, I look behind me and am making a huge cloud of smoke... because the axle seal was leaking as well. Stopped to figure it out and the oil lit on fire it was that hot. Put the fire out, splashed some water on it, got back in the truck and kept going, before something bad could happen. I didn't have much brakes at first(brake fluid boiling), but hey - trailer brakes will stop everything!

By the time I got halfway home(40 more miles away), everything had cooled down enough that I had brakes back again. And, after replacing the leaking axle seal(and probably brakes later), everything was fine - axle's still working.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about forgetting to take off the E-brake(dash brake light burned out just then) with a heavy load of hay behind me. 20 miles later, I look behind me and am making a huge cloud of smoke... because the axle seal was leaking as well. Stopped to figure it out and the oil lit on fire it was that hot. Put the fire out, splashed some water on it, got back in the truck and kept going, before something bad could happen. I didn't have much brakes at first(brake fluid boiling), but hey - trailer brakes will stop everything!

By the time I got halfway home(40 more miles away), everything had cooled down enough that I had brakes back again. And, after replacing the leaking axle seal(and probably brakes later), everything was fine - axle's still working.
I did that on my expedition, 5miles it took before the glue holding on the shoes came apart. Jammed itself and was wondering why it felt down on power.... It also started to make the LSD rear shatter after. Not fun.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets be honest, we've all done something like this at one time or another.

Like towing nearly 100 miles on the freeway with the hitch tongue unlocked. I found out when I flew through a yellow light and bounced over the camber of the cross flowing freeway. Pop, off it came! I looked in the rear view mirror and noticed something wasn't right. Pulled over immediately but it happened to be pointing uphill. Boy, was it a relief when the trailer STOPPED rolling back and jolted my indignant truck. Sometimes I wonder why our trucks put up with us.

But on the original topic, I've been buying tires from the same shop for years now. I rarely leave the truck out of my sight even while they work on it. Some guys don't like that but they never told me to get lost. Over the years, they figured out there are several vehicles in my family that need tires. And I've watched them respect the vehicles they work on. The "tire monkey" is basically the shop manager, while his dad manages the branch and mom handles the storefront. That being said, I still would rather change and balance the tires myself. We tried a manual tire changer years ago, but it failed on the first bead.

You guys really have me wondering about those balancing beads though...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Be warned, if you have a shop do beads, they toss the whole bag inside, can take quite a bit of driving to break the bag open and get it to settle down.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting new tires on my truck always ends up with me getting pissed off. Every shop I've ever tried just doesn't give a crap. If it's not my alloy dually rims being drug across the damn tire changer putting gouges in the wheels (which they always deny claiming it was already there, even when faced with pictures i took right before they changed the tires), or its tightening the lug nuts down with 'full impact power' instead of using a torque wrench making them way too tight threatening to strip or brake the lug bolts or worse warp an alloy wheel (yes this can happen).

Makes me mad, this is the reason I do all my own maintenance, i just can't affird to buy tire balancing and front end Alignment equipment or I would do it myself!

Anyone have a suggestion for a tire shop in Houston, TX, preferably on the south side around the gulf freeway (however i will travel for a reputable shop), that actually cares about the work they do?

Now I'm off to go pull all my lug nuts and properly torque them....

Thanks.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

hadley000

Reaction score
After having new tires put on a 1 ton dump a few years back and having the nuts not tightened down on one tire, after waiting 4 hours for the shop to change them, I got a cheap manual tire changer from HF. It works pretty well for what I need it for. It's no fun to look in your mirror and see your wheel just wobbling around as you're going down the road. I torque every wheel nut and haven't any problems with them coming loose.

I use ceramic tire beads and I really like them. I've reused them on a few sets of tires, no need to rebuy them. I use the ones from Checkered Flag but any will work. You can also put them through the stem with a filling hose and bottle they sell. I just throw them in loose when changing tires, I don't want the plastic bag in there. I tended to lose my balancing weights when snowplowing or running through the mud at jobsites anyway. Tires are always balanced now.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when lug nuts get loose interesting things can happen. Look at six pics toward the bottom of this album.
https://goo.gl/photos/hQSWmXVQ6HsMVWzh6

This is my 2001 PSD. It weighs 12K#. Best I can determine, the inside tire picked up that screw, the tire deflated, that set up a vibration that loosened the nuts, and eight, 9/16 bolts sheared off. Based on the damage to the outside wheel, one went early then the others went together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance