Tire shop: rant/question...

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used to work at a ****** looking mom and pop shop for tires.

The two owners were straight up insane about not scratching or damaging anything, if the guy changing your tires doesn't have a rag or two on him to use to not scratch up the alloy or paint then walk away, even those plastic guards they used for spoons and the swinging arm will scratch if they're old and not taken care of.

This shop is located in the ghetto of my town in Florida and we have people coming with high dollar wheels and cars because we look after them. Bought a manual tire changer from harbor freight, couple extra spoons, and I've been doing my own tires since. Balancing Ill use a bubble on the f250/trailers but my wifes daily gets road balanced, it's a bit tighter than the f250 and you can tell a huge different at 80...

I heard someone say something about balancing beads, how good are those ? We talking well balanced or close enough where it doesn't shake the truck apart? I'd be interested in that and testing it out on the wife's car it needs a new set soon.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do say to retorque them after a few days to a week. Walmart even puts that in the notes that you should return to get them retorqued within a week, or something like that.

On the other side of the spectrum, I broke a lug bolt on a Corolla trying to change a flat tire. It's only 4 lug so yeah, 1/4 of the bolts ended up gone. Tire shops had overtorqued, stretched and/or cross threaded the nut so many times over the years that a factory size lug nut wrench broke it off when trying to change a flat.
Every manual I've ever seen says torque once then torque again after 50 miles or a week, etc. I can't remember a time when the re-torque was actually needed when done right but it's definitely a good idea.
One thing that drove me crazy for 13 years is that some of the lugs on my pickup were over torqued at some point and the acorn tip gets squashed and takes a ton of effort to just spin down the stud. Finally got a high speed tap and no more! Anyway it's one negative for over-torque. Never had a loose lug nut on my pickup in 13 years using a bar or torque wrench.

Glad to hear that. I've been considering it for mine. What brand do you use?

I've used stainless bb's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The easy hack that I read was to use airsoft beads. I have tried it on at least 12 tires and am happy with it. I read up on this over the years and used them on all 4 trailer tires, 4 cabriolet, and just a few months ago all 4 tires on my moms 2004 XC90. I'm very pleased to say that everything runs smooth and easy, and even up to 100mph the XC90 was buttery smooth. You just need to take the existing weights off and let the beads do the work.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Every manual I've ever seen says torque once then torque again after 50 miles or a week, etc. I can't remember a time when the re-torque was actually needed when done right but it's definitely a good idea.

Never had a loose lug nut on my pickup in 13 years using a bar or torque wrench.

Oh yeah! I think the Walmart receipt says 50 miles actually. Also, they always seem to use a torque wrench to install. I got new tires put on the trailer I had last year at a Walmart and they used one. This year, I had new tires put on the motorhome at a different Walmart and they did too.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tire balancing equipment to avoid tire shops.
It works on the vehicle, laptop and camera is just for viewing in the cab.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is for most people tires are a one and done purchase. Buy a car, go through a set, replace tires, trade car.
I don't know about that one. The last tire shop I worked at, I noticed that most new vehicles (cars, trucks, vans, all of them) had between 15,000 and 20,000 miles and were coming in for a set of tires and an alignment. Those people were stupid!!! If I was to buy a new vehicle and the tires were wearing out that quickly, I'd be right back at the dealership telling them to fix the SOB! Doesn't anyone know about their warranty?

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that one. The last tire shop I worked at, I noticed that most new vehicles (cars, trucks, vans, all of them) had between 15,000 and 20,000 miles and were coming in for a set of tires and an alignment. Those people were stupid!!! If I was to buy a new vehicle and the tires were wearing out that quickly, I'd be right back at the dealership telling them to fix the SOB! Doesn't anyone know about their warranty?
It seems manufacturers get "low mileage" tires because I've seen those brand new cars with 20k miles have flat wear pattern... No alignment issues or anything... It's odd... I just assume they get a higher tread wear tire to slap on for some reason .

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It seems manufacturers get "low mileage" tires because I've seen those brand new cars with 20k miles have flat wear pattern... No alignment issues or anything... It's odd... I just assume they get a higher tread wear tire to slap on for some reason .

No. Most, if not all, of these were from bad alignment. One vehicle had less than 8000 miles on it. I quit working there in 2007. Maybe things are different now.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The best story I have from working there was in the winter of 2006. I was doing an oil change on a 2006 Ford focus. I was told to try to see if I could tell why the windshield washer wasn't working. It was in the single digits and the washer reservoir was a blue block of ice. If mine wasn't working on a car that new, I'd be taking it back to the dealership! After the oil change, I told the woman who ran the front of the shop that it was just frozen. She actually asked me if I'd put more washer fluid in.cookoo I told her no. It's frozen and I couldn't really see that point!cookoo

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's another one for you. If you're using BBs or Airsoft pellets, how do you know how much to use? My tires are due for a balance and I've been considering it for a while. What better time than before a road trip lol.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's another one for you. If you're using BBs or Airsoft pellets, how do you know how much to use? My tires are due for a balance and I've been considering it for a while. What better time than before a road trip lol.
Check out the durabead website for oz per tire size. I think it's durabead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online