Tire shop: rant/question...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the durabead website for oz per tire size. I think it's durabead.

Thanks. I always wondered if that was accurate for my retreads or not. They're heavier than comparable new tires. Then again, the tread is half gone so maybe they're closer now lol!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I always wondered if that was accurate for my retreads or not. They're heavier than comparable new tires. Then again, the tread is half gone so maybe they're closer now lol!
You can wonder or you can jump in and do it! Haha something I have to constantly remind myself.
But for your question I would just do the recommended amount on 2 tires and run it up to speed then see if it needs more. Breaking the bead to add more is nothing compared to the whole ordeal of changing the tires in the first place.
Also as @mblaney linked that site has different weights for 1/2 ton vs 1 ton trucks, so maybe go by the 1 ton weight for your heavier retreads?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I've wondered about using BB's. Anything wrong with using BB's? They wear out the tire or something? And where do airplanes use ceremic beads at, in their tires?

I have my own tire machine (picked up cheap yrs ago) & have mted many, many of my own tires thru the yrs.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
beads do not wear out the tire. The only time the beads are rolling around is when traveling slow (stop to 20kph?). On a highway the beads are stationary with respect to the tire. The only time they move is if the tire balance changes (for example if your tread chucks a pebble from the tread).

The only requirement for beads is that they roll - glass beads to golf balls will work. Golf balls are more difficult to get through the valve stem :rotflmao

If you are using bb's make sure they don't rust. Also, NEVER use a tire slime with beads; inside needs to be dry!

Black dawg

Reaction score
So, OP...….what were they torqued to? Doubtful they where anywhere near over torqued using just a 1/2 drive gun.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First excuse my novice question do we the means to have a doughnut tire like cars/vans/ranger size trucks or are we all stuck without one? Was curious is all seeing as most of not all of use have had the old spare under the bed dry rot,not to mention cost of tires.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about using BB's. Anything wrong with using BB's? They wear out the tire or something? And where do airplanes use ceremic beads at, in their tires?

I have my own tire machine (picked up cheap yrs ago) & have mted many, many of my own tires thru the yrs.
Unless they are 100% stainless steel or some non-ferrous metal they will break down and rust, normal BB's are cheap chunks of s
I've been sitting through this entire thread since beads were first mentioned... Picturing people taking out the valve stem, and tediously pushing one bead at a time, though the valve stem. :rotflmao
Haha no you have to break the bead with airsoft ammo. Some "official" balance beads can be pushed through the valve stem.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So they say... Did it for my brother in law. I'll buy the damn tire machine before I screw with that again. Royal PITA.
I hear you there, that sounded like no fun to me so I went with airsoft from the start. I was changing tires anyway! Guess I was right after all. :)

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been using atlas tire machine and balancer in the shop and also recently Mayflower brand. They get pretty heavy daily use and no issues. They don't do the low profile tires, but I tend to not work on those types of cars anyway. I'm a non ironic fan of Chinese machines as it puts food on my table

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, OP...….what were they torqued to? Doubtful they where anywhere near over torqued using just a 1/2 drive gun.
Checked the next day and all the lug nuts had to be retorqued.... and then noticed they dented up my center caps be letting the impact socket jump around the bolt :(

Anyone know where to get center caps for the factory 1993 alloy dually wheels? Seems like i can't find anyone that makes them anymore. Pics below before they were dented, however they have started to rust even though they claimed they were polished stainless steel when i bought them.
You must be registered for see images attach

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief stainless does rust.

Lower grade stainless steel will rust under the right conditions (low grade stainless will also attract a magnet). Higher grade stainless will rust when it becomes contaminated by regular carbon steel (ie lug nuts).

I can't give you scientific details or anything, just telling you what I've learned over the years working at a fabrication plant.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief stainless does rust.

Lower grade stainless steel will rust under the right conditions (low grade stainless will also attract a magnet)....

I suspect they are 'low grade'. until they got dented up i was considering cleaning then up and applying a 'chrome' powder coating.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual