timimg gear alignment

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have had to pull my head off due to a broke off GP (change you Gps if you havent in a while!) today Its reassemble time and one good question I have is when the Ip came out we took it off as a whole piece with the filler tube housing gear injector lines all still on. We were frazzled by this time after trying like mad to get it to come out and did not even think about timing gear marks. So the motor is still where we left it but the gear on the Ip has moved and how do I figure out how to get the timing gears to re align? The #1 piston was not a tdc then either. There is a "Y" on the cam gear and the pump gear,right so can I turn the dampener till the #1 piston is at TDC on the compresssion stroke and see the marking and put the pump gear on with the Y's lined up?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Be careful when looking at the pictures. The crank gear in our motors does not have two alignment marks on it and you do not need to align the oil pump gear to the crank gear. This was just an oversite on the author of this diagram but otherwise its very accurate and most helpfull to anyone needing this. When I build a motor I take digital pictures of this and other things that I can't see when "things" are assembled. It has really saved me from taking things apart because I forgot whether I had done something or not. Aren't digital cameras great.....:D

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I am taking lots of pics so I can know for later. On my cam gear ther is 2 copper colored teeth that seem to be where the TDC mark may be for the Y. Have you seen a gear with 2 off colored teeth that was the marks for timing?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Be careful when looking at the pictures. The crank gear in our motors does not have two alignment marks on it and you do not need to align the oil pump gear to the crank gear. This was just an oversite on the author of this diagram but otherwise its very accurate and most helpfull to anyone needing this. When I build a motor I take digital pictures of this and other things that I can't see when "things" are assembled. It has really saved me from taking things apart because I forgot whether I had done something or not. Aren't digital cameras great.....:D

Yes I love using the cameras........ and we would like to see the pictures you take!!!!!:hail:backoff;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Use a wire brush or some wet & dry to bring up the "Y"... Its there but sometimes it will hide from you. Don't make a mistake here. If you can take a picture of the timing when you have the gears set and post it we can tell you right or wrong...

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so this has been a long fix here. I had to let it sit cause I work a lot. Tonight was the starting attempt. I could not take alignment pics cause I could not see anyways. I had put the ip gear Y in between the two copper colored teeth I think but it cranked stumbled then fired up and died right away with a puff of white smoke out the intake. I thought it was maybe off 180 so I re aligned the balancer one turn with the O mark on the metal thing. put the pump back and now it just cranks. Theres no stumbling just lots of unburnt diesel fumes coming out of the intake as I crank, so I think I had the right stroke the first time but was maybe off a tooth one way or the other. What do yall think

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I poked fun at you in your other post, but seriously you have to follow the proceedure Zigg describes to the letter. I've never made this mistake, so I've never had to do it, but based on your observations it's not injecting fuel a the right time. One thing you might be able to do is temporarily hook up your #1 injector line in such a way that the injector can be hanging out in the air, and you can then put your finger in the injector hole, and see if you feel presure building until the moment of injection which you could observe when the injector fires. BE CAREFULL! Keep your skin and eyes away from the injector nozzle and spray.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online