Throwing in the towel... anybody want my IDI?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Dangit Alan, I wasn't ready to read this post.

I wished I was closer to ya.
I really hate to see ya have us talk ya into the truck, spend some money and still not get it to fire. I'm just as frustrated at this point as well.:dunno

I don't like losing to a piece of iron but can understand where you're at with it.
Tis gotta be in the timing at this point if not in conjunction with the lower compression.

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have fuel to the IP, have you verified that ~6psi is getting to the filter head? These motors wont run on even 3psi, trust me I've tried it, it'll sputter and try to start but it wont happen. You'll see fuel getting to the injectors but it's not enough for the IP to pop a good fuel charge off. So check that.

I bought a fuel pressure gauge and put it on the fuel filter schrader valve. It showed basically nothing... no pressure. I figured the valve was messed up. Guess I should have replaced the schrader valve and verified that.

When I crack the injectors and crank, fuel squirts out. I figured that meant the fuel pressure was good. No?

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I really hate to see ya have us talk ya into the truck, spend some money and still not get it to fire. I'm just as frustrated at this point as well.:dunno

I don't like losing to a piece of iron but can understand where you're at with it.
Tis gotta be in the timing at this point if not in conjunction with the lower compression.

Ron, no worries. Nobody here talked me into the truck; I just bit off more than I could chew. But, I'm not into it too deep money wise, so hopefully can get a decent portion back. I figure somebody probably has a truck that runs like a top but has a really rusted out body... this could be a good option for them.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be as simple as a bad fuel pump. Here is how you test it:

Take the core out of the schrader valve on the fuel filter head. Hook up a pressure guage to that valve and crank the engine. It should be 4-6 psi. For volume, you should get 1/3 of a pint minimum with 10 seconds of cranking.

If it is the fuel pump, you can just replace it with an electric pump. If you go with another mechanical be careful. Make sure that the cam is at low position, it is usually necessary to use a mirror and a remote starter switch. Observe the cam through the mounting port and bump the engine around until a one inch wide machine surface is observed. This is low position of the cam. If not installed correctely, it can damage the pump and possible the motor

Heath

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate hearing about that level offrustration with an engine. I know the feeling. Hope it works out ofr you one way or the other.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be as simple as a bad fuel pump. Here is how you test it:

Take the core out of the schrader valve on the fuel filter head. Hook up a pressure guage to that valve and crank the engine. It should be 4-6 psi. For volume, you should get 1/3 of a pint minimum with 10 seconds of cranking.

If it is the fuel pump, you can just replace it with an electric pump. If you go with another mechanical be careful. Make sure that the cam is at low position, it is usually necessary to use a mirror and a remote starter switch. Observe the cam through the mounting port and bump the engine around until a one inch wide machine surface is observed. This is low position of the cam. If not installed correctely, it can damage the pump and possible the motor

Heath

You gotta realize that even LOTS of ether was not making this truck fire off. So it is one of two things. Either the cam timing is off and the valve timing is screwed up, the low compression measured, or both.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hey dog diddler-
if I bought this thing and had it transported to your place, can you get it running for my sister?

gandalf

Reaction score
Puffs of air out the exhaust, but no white 'smoke' of unburned fuel. Do those puffs of air have any smell?

If you're getting no unburned fuel out the exhaust, it sounds as though the fuel is not getting into the cylinders, regardless of any timing issue. Whether the timing is good or bad, fuel into the cylinders has to show some sign in the exhaust.

Following this reasoning, I'd go with the idea, mentioned above, of low fuel pressure. It sounds almost as though there isn't enough pressure to pop the injectors. If the injectors are newish, and were tested, I'd take a look at the fuel pressure.

Just a guess, feeling around in the dark.

Last edited:

vt951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Puffs of air out the exhaust, but no white 'smoke' of unburned fuel. Do those puffs of air have any smell?

If you're getting no unburned fuel out the exhaust, it sounds as though the fuel is not getting into the cylinders, regardless of any timing issue. Whether the timing is good or bad, fuel into the cylinders has to show some sign in the exhaust.

Following this reasoning, I'd go with the idea, mentioned above, of low fuel pressure. It soulds almost as though there isn't enough pressure to pop the injectors. If the injectors are newish, and were tested, I'd take a look at the fuel pressure.

I can see doing one last ditch test. I'll pull the schrader valve out at the fuel filter, and see what the pressure is there.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
if you want to collect on her, drop by her neck of the woods....in uniform. She has a thing for guys in uniform.:eek::rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

No way man!
Not after her waiting all day for her prelim cause they used the Y instead of using the O as it should have been.

I'll arrive in civies for that thankyou very much!LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope she is cuter than you Calvin.
Put a little oil down the glow plug holes, leave them out and crank it over to spread it around, After all that ether the cylinders are probably real dry.
The compression is low but it should fire up on ether. Pains me to say that.
I should just load up some tools and drive all over the country and fix these trucks , if some one would pay for fuel and food. LOL

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Following this reasoning, I'd go with the idea, mentioned above, of low fuel pressure. It sounds almost as though there isn't enough pressure to pop the injectors. If the injectors are newish, and were tested, I'd take a look at the fuel pressure.

i agree, how are the batteries? cables? starter? i fought mine for a week and about gave up because i had new napa batteries that wouldnt hold a good enough charge to crank the truck over enough to bleed the fuel system. i replaced the lift pump, starter, cables, injection pump only to find that it would not crank for more than 10 seconds to where the batteries wouldnt crank quite fast enough. i got some new autocraft platinum group 65 batteries and it bled right down and fired right up.

i ended up switching to a facet inline electric lift pump shortly after she fired up on the original mechanical lift pump. it was doing like you said it would only bog down a tad on ether and no smoke at all before i got it bled. you say there is fuel getting to the injectors but does it squirt out when you crack the lines and crank?

kool55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your offer. I'll give you a call. But, like I said, I'm throwing in the towel. If it's an easy fix, somebody buy it, fix it, and enjoy (or sell it for a profit).

Regardless of IP timing, should it fire up on ether?

vt951, I have seen a bunch of diesels over the years that were unresponsive to ether. These were sound engines that just had fuel related issues. I don't like your compression readings on the left bank. Couple that with , lets say , slow cranking speed...... Sometimes it pays to walk away from it for a bit and regroup. Not to mention that it will be bugging you for for a long time that it got the best of you. Hang in there. Just my .02 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle