Thoughts/comments/suggestions on floating gears.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
How well do you gear floaters manage with a ZF? I used to float my old 4spd with no problems, but the ZF seems a little stiff. I guess I'm still getting used to the different RPMs of a diesel. When I change gears, theres no grinding, but it doesn't change as easily as I'm used to. I can't for the life of me hit 5th without the clutch.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
zf's arent designed to float gears. It is possible to do in emergency situations, just keep in mind that a zf is not only a royal pita to rebuild its also expencive. Use the clutch and it will last you a LOOOONG time.

punk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
zf's arent designed to float gears. It is possible to do in emergency situations, just keep in mind that a zf is not only a royal pita to rebuild its also expencive. Use the clutch and it will last you a LOOOONG time.

punk
+1 on what he said. Floating gears on a ZF is a great way to destroy the synchros, and rebuilding it's a royal PITA. I wouldn't float except in an emergency...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+2
floating gears is a good thing to know how to do. but do keep in mind the syncros for a zf are $450 for a set:eek:

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Well I'm dam glad I posted this then. I guess I'll stop, only been trying the last two days so hopefully no real harm done.

EricW

my $h!t is stuff
Reaction score
Good one Dan, sheesh... Don't think I've ever tried with my dad's truck (not that I need to worry about it now...), for that matter don't think I've tried with the '86...

There's a joke for the fifth gear issues, but I'll refrain...

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
did it all the time in my 4 speed, do it all the time in my spicer 6+, but not at all in my zf, in my old zf with bad syncros it was all but impossible

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
hmmm i havent ever had any trouble doing it in my dads old truck they come out and go right in no problem what so ever:dunno, my 4 speed as long as i tach it to 2800 in each gear it will come out and go right in no problem

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
It seems like T19's do it very easily, and do not have any adverse side effects from it.
ZF's on the other hand, no. Don't do it with one of those. They'll make you pay for it in the long run. I've only floated a ZF when I blew a clutch and needed to get it home.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mine seems exactly opposite of what everyone else says, my zf does it easier than my t-19

bowedup2003

Reaction score
My ZF shifts better floating the gears than using the clutch, been floating them since the repower 5 or 6 years ago w/ no problems.

Now my NV5600 in the Dodge, that's another story. They float smooth loaded, but unloaded unless you hit it dead on it won't shift.

Bowedup

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do it all the time in my spicer 6+
those are also bad trannys to do that to. the gears are only surface hardened. many towdrivers with IH 4700's found out the hard way. The place I used to work for had six of these trucks. in three years, every single one but mime needed a rebuilt trans. the rebuilder used genuine spicer parts and left a warning note on every single rebuild with the old parts as proof.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
those are also bad trannys to do that to. the gears are only surface hardened. many towdrivers with IH 4700's found out the hard way. The place I used to work for had six of these trucks. in three years, every single one but mime needed a rebuilt trans. the rebuilder used genuine spicer parts and left a warning note on every single rebuild with the old parts as proof.

the one we have grinds more with the clutch that it does with out, but granted I only use the first 3 gears and top speed is limited to 15 mph where I use the truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online