This sounds like heat soak, right?

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, so the other day I was driving the truck and it died and wouldn't restart. I think it died because of the gas cap thing, but now I'm thinking the IP was heat soaked which is why it didn't restart.

Now today, I went out and replaced the power steering pump and took it for a drive around the block... Everything was running good, so I took it around a few more times, until it got hot. I came back and parked it, and then it wouldn't restart. After awhile, I finally got it to start and then I let it run for a bit then shut her down. And then just now, I went outside to look at it, and it started right up. I did the same thing, got the engine hot and then shut it down. Then again, it won't restart. I loosened the main fuel line off of the filter head and there is plenty of fuel, so I think the injection pump is getting heat soaked. Right?

This is a new, rebuilt IP with a 3 year warranty so I'm not concerned there... My only concern is if it is heat soak, what can I do to prevent this from happening to the next pump I put on it? I need this thing to be reliable, it is going to be a daily driver for me in a month or so. Other than this issue, the thing runs great and drives great.

Thanks fellas, and sorry to keep on posting new threads... I've just been having quite a few issues.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Replied to your PM.

It sounds exactly like heat soak. It's one of the "little" things that is a killer of rebuilt IP's... because most builders don't replace the faulty parts. There's nothing you can do to prevent it aside from filtering your fuel down to 1 micron. And there's nothing you can do to fix it. It's an internal problem that can only be fixed by replacing the plunger.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try thickening your FUEL with some ATF or fresh motor oil I'm not sure on amount but quart or two should do!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thickening the fuel with atf will tell you if its heat soak or not. I'm hopeing when you use the term "hot" you actually mean warmed up to normal operating temps.. Is that what you mean..:dunno

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the ATF. We were actually going to add some anyway, after reading that we should for lubrication. Granted it has been pushing 100 degrees here, I just didn't think a freshly "re-manufactured" i.p., especially by a reputable company, should have "heat soak" issues. I talked to the seller, and they agreed. We should have a "new" pump Saturday. Just thinking, though, does a quart of oil (both for lubrication and fuel thickness) make a significant difference?

Thanks,

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO 2 stroke oil is a much better choice for lube in the fuel than ATF. Atf is not designed to be burned but 2 stroke is designed to clean and leave no deposits.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small volume delivery with OEM fuel lines leads to heat soak/Vapor lock I also got tired of that BS so I replaced all my lines with 5/8 and 1/2 fuel lines, never a single issue again!

Javier

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting concept. We are actually running the stock 3/8" and 5/16" lines. That may be something to look at upgrading down the road.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small volume delivery with OEM fuel lines leads to heat soak/Vapor lock I also got tired of that BS so I replaced all my lines with 5/8 and 1/2 fuel lines, never a single issue again!

Javier

I thought heat soak happened after shut down and there wasn't any fuel flowing to cool the IP; how does oversize fuel lines help when there is no fuel flow?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Interesting thought. Does it flow more luel this way, keeping the pump a bit cooler and providing more lube? I would be surprised if that made enough af a difference. But possible worth doing if one had the lines apart anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online