this pos sob is one step away form the scrap yard urg

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would get the thing running before glow plugs. Like he said, its not even catching with ether. Ether has a very low combustion temperature, so the compression alone should ignite it very easily. Since its not, something screwy is happening.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I would get the thing running before glow plugs. Like he said, its not even catching with ether. Ether has a very low combustion temperature, so the compression alone should ignite it very easily. Since its not, something screwy is happening.

well drive to ky and ill show you the truck that wont run off ether. runs great once you get the fuel system primed up ;Sweet

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any order of troubleshooting is better than just throwing parts at it. Pick a system, any system, and go through it to see if it's working right. I picked GPs because they're so easy to remove as a variable. I just went back through the thread and saw no verification that the truck is even getting fuel. Another poster mentioned the cranking white smoke being an indicator of fuel getting to the engine but the OP never replied whether indeed he was getting that. Will a truck start momentarily on ONLY ether? Seems to me it'd have to be a helluva shot of ether. Personally I'd be for getting the GP system working like it's supposed to and eliminate that uncertainty altogether.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
because a mottor need three things to run right air fuel and combstion i know it geting are and fuel so that leads me to combstion
I work on diesel engines for a living, I appreciate you trying to teach me something in a thread that you started over an engine you are incapable of getting to run. You are however somewhat off in your view of the situation however.
You need
1. Fuel
2. Air
3. Ignition
you claim to have 1 and 2. So that leaves #3

You claim that in California you do not need a block heater.... I beg to differ. If you cannot get the glowplugs to work you need some sort of starting aid. I live in South Georgia which stays pretty hot. We had a truck that didn't have a functioning glowplug system. On 100 degree days in the summer it did not fire readily unless plugged in. After we got it to fire off it was fine for the day, but the first cold fire is a little ******* these old guys.
If I recall I spent about $5 to wire the glowplugs to come on manually. Buy a set of glowplugs and move on.

So.... from someone that *might* know a little more about engines than you:

When you encounter an engine. You do a fact finding mission. Armed with this information you make a list of the most likely problems to the least likely and work your way through them.
Everyone in this thread has done this but you. We have all screamed that the first thing you need to do is get the glowplugs working (or any starting aid really). You have pretty much flat out refused to do this for some reason.

So I have to ask... why the hell are you here?

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't scrap it, as others have said, pay the price for a new set of GP's, it could make all the difference in the world, even in cali or Tx,

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I've been out at sea for the last month, I get home Thursday night. Lemme check in my bag of old crap. I know I *had* a set of Glowplugs I changed out on principle. They worked fine. I have a habit of changing out a part with something brand new and saving the old ones for spares. They are yours for the taking if I can find them.

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work on diesel engines for a living, I appreciate you trying to teach me something in a thread that you started over an engine you are incapable of getting to run. You are however somewhat off in your view of the situation however.
You need
1. Fuel
2. Air
3. Ignition
you claim to have 1 and 2. So that leaves #3

You claim that in California you do not need a block heater.... I beg to differ. If you cannot get the glowplugs to work you need some sort of starting aid. I live in South Georgia which stays pretty hot. We had a truck that didn't have a functioning glowplug system. On 100 degree days in the summer it did not fire readily unless plugged in. After we got it to fire off it was fine for the day, but the first cold fire is a little ******* these old guys.
If I recall I spent about $5 to wire the glowplugs to come on manually. Buy a set of glowplugs and move on.

So.... from someone that *might* know a little more about engines than you:

When you encounter an engine. You do a fact finding mission. Armed with this information you make a list of the most likely problems to the least likely and work your way through them.
Everyone in this thread has done this but you. We have all screamed that the first thing you need to do is get the glowplugs working (or any starting aid really). You have pretty much flat out refused to do this for some reason.

So I have to ask... why the hell are you here?

i dont refuse to replace the gps i cant aford to replace the gps so i useing either till i can get a new set i know it get fuel cause i have blead out the injectors at the end of the metal line and i dint say i dont need a block heater sayed in cali most the time u dont need one so alot of idi in cali dont ever have on installed

sootman73

Reaction score
I'm not gonna bust your balls cuz I know how frustrating things get time after time but these guys know there stuff down to every little detail. Lets focus on what you can afford to do, I know my truck wasn't perfect like i wanted and that was because of lack of money, a block heater is quite affordable at around $40 and if you dont want to pull a freeze plug get a magnetic one or plumb one into the radiator hose.

or hell if you have access to a kerosene salamander heater then put that pointed on the engine for an hour or until the engine is warm to the touch on top compared to the ambient air temp.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joe if your that broke give me your address and i will send you a ratty old return kit thats got toolbox wear, still fine and somwe oringsand olives. for crist sakes gotta fix the leaks before itl run.
glad to help to keep it running, you just need to help someone out down the road.DEAL?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Joe to help explain things make a video of it cranking over.

Trucks vary from truck to truck, some need the glow plugs working to start, some never need them.

When cranking the motor over, can you push the schrader valve and get fuel? Have you cracked your injector lines to verify your getting fuel to them? Spin off your fuel filter, is it full, half full or empty?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bad. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. :rolleyes:
mel-
he's alot more readable than what his posts used to look like. I'll give him credit for making the effort, but I'll admit he's got a long way to go.
joe-
if you still have my number, give me a call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle