this pos sob is one step away form the scrap yard urg

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
When? I have been in your spot - same symptoms. I bled all 8 injectors, and waited a day or two and the fuel drained right back out.

My suggestion would be to start with a fully charged battery. Next crank it and follow the fuel flow. Make sure there is fuel in the tanks - are the shower heads broken off? Move to the lift pump. Is it pumping out fuel? What pressure and volume? Move to the IP. Make sure fuel is coming out of the return. Crack the injector lines again. I do ALL 8 and crank the engine with the key on and throttle wide open. As fuel starts coming out, tighten each one.

It really sounds like it could be stubborn air. Do you have the factory water separator? They are known to leak.

Check for repairs in the nylon lines - see if there is air intrusion there.

I do not want to beat a dead horse with the fuel thing, but it sounds like the frustrations I went through at the beginning of the year.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If it's cranking normal and not catching with ether your F'ed. Doesn't need fuel in the injectors to get it to fire off with ether, ether alone should get it to catch for a split second. If it's not, something internal is screwy.

How much ether are you giving it?

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace your GPs or install a block heater from NAPA. Even with CA weather; With no heat it can't be good for the starter...

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off this is a slightly dangerous method but alot easier on the engine than ether is. First make sure you have fuel at the injectors by cracking a couple lines and spinning it over. If there is fuel then take a shop rag and wet it down good with gasoline. Lay the wet area over the intake screen. Try to crank it up. I've had diesels that would start no matter what fire up with this trick.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
First off this is a slightly dangerous method but alot easier on the engine than ether is. First make sure you have fuel at the injectors by cracking a couple lines and spinning it over. If there is fuel then take a shop rag and wet it down good with gasoline. Lay the wet area over the intake screen. Try to crank it up. I've had diesels that would start no matter what fire up with this trick.

I've done this before. It's better doing it with two people, otherwise you have to move quick to get the rag out of there when it starts.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why? You don't have a screen over your intake opening also? I have also done this by stuffing the rag into the air cleaner housings neck.

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's cranking normal and not catching with ether your F'ed. Doesn't need fuel in the injectors to get it to fire off with ether, ether alone should get it to catch for a split second. If it's not, something internal is screwy.

How much ether are you giving it?

very little shots maybe half a second it not catching at thats what has me thinking rings im gona try re bleading it tomaro

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Why? You don't have a screen over your intake opening also? I have also done this by stuffing the rag into the air cleaner housings neck.

On my current truck, no the screen was missing when I got the truck.
But even with the screen, when it starts it's pulling those fumes into a running engine. That can't be good for it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my current truck, no the screen was missing when I got the truck.
But even with the screen, when it starts it's pulling those fumes into a running engine. That can't be good for it.

Won't hurt a damn thing, gas evaporates pretty quick.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
ok man get some glow plugs in that thing. helped a buddy work on a truck the other day that wouldnt even hit with ether. my 93 wouldnt hit a lick with one bad gp at 90* outside. replaced gps, all was good. diesels need heat to get going. some more so then others. if your getting white smoke while cranking then your getting fuel. you say its cranking fast so thats good. next thing you need is heat. you really need glow plugs or a block heater. the hairdryer trick might work, dunno never tried it.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll give it a shot:

I see but 2 known things so far in this thread:
1. The truck won't start
2. Fuel is getting to the injectors (I think I got that you cracked them and got fuel)

I don't see - sorry if I missed it - how the conclusion was drawn that the GPs are shot. I don't even see how we know that they're not working. (2 different things - are they even getting juice from the relay and controller to do work?) How do you know that they're shot? Any chance you could get lucky and light things off with a $20 relay? Simple tests will give you the answer.

2 things you can do to verify this, that even a rank amateur like myself was able to do last week:

1. Check to see if they're getting any voltage with a test light
2. Get a multi-meter on them and check for resistance. All 8 of mine would show voltage but little to no resistance and wouldn't even warm up when hooked directly to a spare battery. Try that with a new one and things get fun in a hurry.

It may be that you have IP or compression issues in addition to that, but at this point you have to start ruling things out to get anywhere. You're just going to go backwards flailing around like this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online