This is why you dont use ether on diesels!!

dslbroncotom

Diesel Bronco Tom
Reaction score
Pics speak for themselves:

You must be registered for see images attach

dslbroncotom

Diesel Bronco Tom
Reaction score
Just wanna make it clear, That is not my truck, It belogs to a friend of my who picked it up from a guy that said he couldnt get it running exept for on ether, He said he actually stood there and continuously sprayed ether into the turbo to keep the truck running. Turns out it was just a bad IPR.

In any case, Ether is still NEVER recommended to be used on a diesel for any reason. Silicon spray lubricant works just as good and is safer for these motors.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Uh oh The Industrial Cummins 5.9 that is now in my brothers F350 came in a school bus with an ether injector from the factory and its going strong after all these years...

That said running a diesel on ether only is a bad idea--no brainer! :dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a PSD. He probably used ether and glow plugs. He probably didn't know that a slight whiff in the intake is almost too much but if used with no gow plugs or grid heater and with extreme caution it works in a pinch. A PSD even more than an IDI should be able to take a small whiff, being a DI.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like someone tried to stuff the whole can itself into the cylinder :rotflmao

Black dawg

Reaction score
Thats ugly! what do the other holes look like? I saw pictures of one that the guy thought that since the pyro went to 1600 that 1500 must be ok. Looked real similar, but dodge.

they should change the name of starting fluid.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh oh The Industrial Cummins 5.9 that is now in my brothers F350 came in a school bus with an ether injector from the factory and its going strong after all these years...

Yeah the one in our delivery truck is like that too...but it doesn't have the can in it and we've never put one in.

It's there as a cold start aid though, the engine has no grid heater or GP's

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ether injectors work fine if installed properly.
That damage, my friends, is what happens when an injector just pours fuel into the cylinder and melts the piston. He ran it on ether only because of the lack of compression. I have seen this damage in industrial engines ,usually perkins with a shot fuel system, that never have seen ether. I been wrenching too many years.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Friend of mine has a GMC Dump with I think a 8.2 diesel v8. It also has the ether injection system on it with a line and a solenoid on it shoot it in the engine.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got no glow plugs, I've used it a few times on my engine to get it to start- hopefully there is no damage like that, still runs and drives great.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine has a GMC Dump with I think a 8.2 diesel v8. It also has the ether injection system on it with a line and a solenoid on it shoot it in the engine.

That's gotta be a Detroit diesel.

All the old GM Greyhound/Blue Goose busses had 8V71 Detroits in them and all had the ether injection system on them, and none had an automatic tranny or power steering.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I've got no glow plugs, I've used it a few times on my engine to get it to start- hopefully there is no damage like that, still runs and drives great.

As long as you use either in small shots and know what your doing you will not hurt the engine, ether doesnt hurt it idiots do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance