This is why you dont use ether on diesels!!

sassyrel

Reaction score
thats what happens when you dont know how to use ether in a diesel. cookoo

damn straight,skippy!!! used it for years--but you SHOULD know what you are doing--as for how many years--have diesels of construction caliber been started on it???? then again--some people,,can destroy a anvil--with a rubber mallet--in less than 1 hr----:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I've had to ether all of our trucks here at some point or another. Usually when the batteries don't want to hold up to the temps outside and the only option I have for getting the truck running is to ether it right off the bat or forget about getting it running. However, my dad taught me when I was just a little guy that only a whiff of ether was enough to get it firing. He also taught me (if the truck had a GP controller) to cycle the GP's, leave the ignition switch in the ON position so that the controller could run its full cycle until it stops clicking, and then let them cool for 2-3 minutes before trying to start the truck with ether.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have a can of ether around a diesel if they don't have the common sense to use it properly.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll admit, I hosed the air filter with it and cranked the motor over. It fired right up, the truck has no GP's. Still pulls my trailer just fine-

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Ether injectors work fine if installed properly.
That damage, my friends, is what happens when an injector just pours fuel into the cylinder and melts the piston. He ran it on ether only because of the lack of compression. I have seen this damage in industrial engines ,usually perkins with a shot fuel system, that never have seen ether. I been wrenching too many years.

Piston definitely looks like a meltdown, rather than a catastrophic let-go.

Looks like that hole got really, really hot! :puke:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
either runs pepboys atvs pretty well when the carb was clogged with rtv spray half a bottle run around the lot it dies then scratch head why its still not getting fuel
i use it everyday but the valvoline stuff with cylinder lube in it
works good sometimes i use too much let it sit a min and then try again

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I'm with Russ, that's a ******* injector causing a hot spot. It's called streaking.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
proud abuser of WD-40 ;Sweet

I can't get WD-40 to do jack ****!

There's been times when we've had fires going and (I get bored) I'll take old water bottles and fill them with WD-40 and throw them on the fire, I'm sitting there expecting some HUGE fireball to come shooting out, and the most you get is a puff, and that's probably just from the water bottles. :mad:

So I'm guessing if I can't get WD-40 to light up in a fire, then it won't do much inside my engine.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't get vegetable oil to burn even with a propane torch, but its powered my truck thousands of miles. Compress it enough and lots of stuff will burn. Not even diesel in a bottle thrown on a fire will give you a huge fireball.

I can't get WD-40 to do jack ****!

There's been times when we've had fires going and (I get bored) I'll take old water bottles and fill them with WD-40 and throw them on the fire, I'm sitting there expecting some HUGE fireball to come shooting out, and the most you get is a puff, and that's probably just from the water bottles. :mad:

So I'm guessing if I can't get WD-40 to light up in a fire, then it won't do much inside my engine.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
You can't get vegetable oil to burn even with a propane torch, but its powered my truck thousands of miles. Compress it enough and lots of stuff will burn. Not even diesel in a bottle thrown on a fire will give you a huge fireball.

I will test this the next time we light a fire :rotflmao

It's very scientific.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the rare occasion we have a diesel that doesn't want to start I'll wet a rag with a small amount of gasoline then lay it over the air intake of the filter housing. Works every time.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In any case, Ether is still NEVER recommended to be used on a diesel for any reason. Silicon spray lubricant works just as good and is safer for these motors.

guess you never seen the diesels with the ether start option from the factory?

that is what happens when you let an idiot use ether.when used properly it wont hurt a damn thing.you have a higher chance of a runaway when using silicone spray or wd40.had a 425 cat runaway on wd40.hairy situation when you cant shut it down except for stuffing it in 13th and dumping the clutch hoping not to peel out a clutch,tranny or power divider.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

a few years ago the wd40 formula was changed so it was no longer flammable.not sure if thats still the case.after having a runaway on it i wont even attemp using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online