Thermostat check ball

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
I just had my block machined and now the check ball is missing that goes in the hole by the thermostat. Does anyone know where I can get one or what size it is? Also is it just the coolant pipe that holds it in?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Knowing the size of that Bb might help. Making something to hold it in the housing is going to be tuff. Might use a dab of rtv around the edges. Maybe even grease the ball incase some rtv get stuck to it. The purpose of this ball is to allow trapped air to bleed out of the cooling system. When the ball sees coolant it forces the ball on the seat closeing the port... Same principal as the fuel filter bleeder works.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knowing the size of that Bb might help. Making something to hold it in the housing is going to be tuff.....
I don't know if this would WORK or NOT WORK...

How about tapping that hole in the housing with a size that fits...and installing a small allen head set screw drill out to allow air/coolant to pass and then install ball, then allen head screw (MODIFIED) and then stake it in place? Whatcha think Gary?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score

How about tapping that hole in the housing with a size that fits...and installing a small allen head set screw drill out to allow air/coolant to pass and then install ball, then allen head screw (MODIFIED) and then stake it in place? Whatcha think Gary?

i would think that as long as you kept the final size of the passage the same as stock i don't see why it wouldn't work.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

I think that would work great. Those flimsy fiber gadgets holding the factory balls in place dont last forever and when thye go, there's nothing to hold the ball in position, it pretty well renders the bypass useless and you need to plug it unless you want the extra flow

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Thanks for the help but I know where it goes but there is not one there. I acctually need a bb. Does anyone know what size or how to get one?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help but I know where it goes but there is not one there. I acctually need a bb. Does anyone know what size or how to get one?

I'll see about finding the one I had...I think I know where it was...and while at it, I just may measure up my extra stat housing and try that allen kead bolt trick too...

I sense yet another....Pictutorial coming.....

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Well guys I figured out where my check ball was.... In the pipe haha. I always thought it was in the block. I was looking at the block and I just kept thinking that there was no way it would stay in the hole as the hole goes all the way into the coolant gallery. Thanks for the input guys. My bad ha.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well guys I figured out where my check ball was.... In the pipe haha. I always thought it was in the block. I was looking at the block and I just kept thinking that there was no way it would stay in the hole as the hole goes all the way into the coolant gallery. Thanks for the input guys. My bad ha.

Glad you located it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... So you were not looking for the BB even in the pics supplied by Roitwarrior.... You bad person... You go to bed hungry....:rotflmao:angel: Glad you "found" the missing ball and you don't have to make any modifications.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... So you were not looking for the BB even in the pics supplied by Roitwarrior.... You bad person... You go to bed hungry....:rotflmao:angel: Glad you "found" the missing ball and you don't have to make any modifications.

Funny thing is i read and looked at the pictures too. O well cant win them all.

;Poke Ya I know....kinda like leading horse to water....but can't make it drink I guess eh? ;Poke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online

No members online now.