The ZF Helps with MPG here is the proof

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I been using fuelfrog for a long while, When I had the C6 I was getting 11-13 MPG, only one time did I get 19 but only because I was traveling I-75. The last two readings show the average of where I am at now with the ZF5. I plan on keeping up again with the tracking of my mileage, I just kind of slacked because it wasto depressing.:puke:

http://fuelfrog.com/users/rmalott/fuels/records

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am a mileage nerd too. I have every fillup I have ever made with my truck. Its nice when the mileage is up so high...

I would love a ZF 5....I wonder if its better to swap one in or buy a whole new truck.....

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
swap one in. You get to know your truck and all its ups and downs, buying a new one is nice for a bit, then you find the flaws and start to think about your old one. vicious cycle.

punk

a zf swap isnt too bad if you have the parts ready.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I meant "new" as in different IDI with a 5 spd.....but I understand. I just lack the time and ability to put a 5 spd in myself. Unless you want to volunteer your time and come to Kansas.....please?

Thad

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you can do like my brother in law did with me. we found a idi truck for cheep with a connecting rod hanging out the side of the block. he needed the 5 speed i needed a turbo. we grabbed some other misc stuff and parted the rest. after all was said and done i think we about broke even not including labor.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
The biggest problem is that I lack the time, tools and know how to complete the process efficiently....

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, half the things that I do I had no Idea how to do them before I jumped in and tore things apart.

I can put anything back together that I can take a part.

In reality, putting a 5 sp in is far easier then putting in the automatic. The only thing to deal with would be the rear driveshaft.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Hey Ryan, nice to see a familiar truck. Glad to see your liking that 5spd swap. I bought my IDI with a 5spd so I wouldn't have to do it again. I still picked up 4.5mpg with my 460 by ditching that C6. I'm still getting better mpg with the diesel though.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is a MPG difference between an E4OD and a ZF5, I haven't seen it. The E4OD has a little more losses, but has a taller overdrive ratio. Once you are up to cruising speed, I would be very suprised if the losses would be much different between the two transmissions.

I suppose it you simply don't like the E4OD and prefer stick shift, then that could be reason enough to swap to a 5 speed, but you will NOT see the kind of gain as going from a C6 to a 5 speed. The C6 is a great transmission for anything other than cruising/economy LOL.

I was able to keep my truck between 19 and 24.9 MPG highway last june when fuel prices were going ape sh*t. Averaged about 4 fillups between those numbers but the average is lower since I usually drive with an eye on the clock lately instead of the fuel gauge. That will probably change by mid summer with fuel prices drifting up already.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is a MPG difference between an E4OD and a ZF5, I haven't seen it. The E4OD has a little more losses, but has a taller overdrive ratio. Once you are up to cruising speed, I would be very suprised if the losses would be much different between the two transmissions.

I suppose it you simply don't like the E4OD and prefer stick shift, then that could be reason enough to swap to a 5 speed, but you will NOT see the kind of gain as going from a C6 to a 5 speed. The C6 is a great transmission for anything other than cruising/economy LOL.

I was able to keep my truck between 19 and 24.9 MPG highway last june when fuel prices were going ape sh*t. Averaged about 4 fillups between those numbers but the average is lower since I usually drive with an eye on the clock lately instead of the fuel gauge. That will probably change by mid summer with fuel prices drifting up already.

I agree with above.
I recently traded IDIs and went from an e40d to a zf, both with 3.55s. I have picked up a mpg or two in around town driving, but I lost it on the interstate. The taller OD on the e40d really makes a difference. Before I could travel about 72mph without breaking 2krpms. With the zf I approach 2k just a hair above 65.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
I hit 2k at about 53mph with the E40D. I have the 4:10s though. Does that sound normal?

I was thinking about swapping in a manual trans until I read this thread. My torque converter is going out and I'm not sure if I want to just replace it or put in a manual. I thought I might increase mpg. I get 12-13 currently.

Anybody have a thought on this?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I hit 3400rpm at about 60mph in my brown truck, but it still has the T19 and a 4:10 locker in the back. :D
Think i got about 7-8mpg in that thing. lol

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
I see you're going to swap trannys and put in an ATS non-wg. That should bring your 7-8 up! I'd like to do that myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes