"Engineering Study Exchange Program" Decal on ZF-5 (1987 F-250)

HudsonvilleHornet

Reaction score
Yep - upper left corner (with relation to the text orientation!), you've got a 02/87 date of manufacture. I'm not sure if that's actual or schedule, but it's an interesting data point.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Another possibility. I believe that 87 was the 1st year of the ZF-5. Since it is a 1st year truck/transmission. Maybe Ford had a program that if the transmission failed, they wanted it back so the engineers could go through it and determine why it failed. If this was the case, that transmission would have been removed, and a completely different one installed in its place. It would have then been sent to a specific person or place for examination.

I am only making this WAG, based on experience in my line of work. I’ve seen equipment that fails in a unique/unusual way be completely replaced, not just fixed. It is then sent in for engineering analysis, or even back to the manufacturer to do an in-depth analysis to find root cause.

If this is the case, I would say this would attest to the durability of the ZF-5… since that transmission is still in there 35 years later…..
If that was the situation
1) There would have been thousands of trannys marked up with that sticker. It would not be a oddity.
2) Also it appears the Oasis Report tracks repairs made under warranty, not potential for them.
3) Logic would suggest there would be thousands of E40D’s with this sticker.
But maybe you are correct.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I believe the 86 Model year (end of the Bullnose trucks) was the last year for the T-18/9 4 speed.

Somewhat unrelated, but i think 89 was the 1st year for the E4OD…. We had an 88 that was a C-6. Allegedly, you could option a C-6 up into the 90’s sometime… but I have never seen one…..
I have read U-Haul‘s based on Ford trucks and van’s got C-6’s based on U-Hauls request. It was inferred the c-6 was very trouble free so they wanted to stick with them. Just read that, so it is not verified.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know that I've seen an incomplete vehicle sold as an E350 bus with a C6 and a IDI. It was registered as a 1995, but was most likely made earlier.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another possibility. I believe that 87 was the 1st year of the ZF-5. Since it is a 1st year truck/transmission. Maybe Ford had a program that if the transmission failed, they wanted it back so the engineers could go through it and determine why it failed. If this was the case, that transmission would have been removed, and a completely different one installed in its place. It would have then been sent to a specific person or place for examination.

I am only making this WAG, based on experience in my line of work. I’ve seen equipment that fails in a unique/unusual way be completely replaced, not just fixed. It is then sent in for engineering analysis, or even back to the manufacturer to do an in-depth analysis to find root cause.

If this is the case, I would say this would attest to the durability of the ZF-5… since that transmission is still in there 35 years later…..

My Dad had a 94 Ford Station Wagon he bought brand new. I don`t know how many miles he had on it at the time, but Ford contacted him and said they wanted his engine. They dropped in a new engine at the dealer for him.

Maybe they were having troubles with them and wanted one that was still running so they could tear it down.

Goat

jibronee

Reaction score
I have the same sticker on my zf5 on my 88' parts truck. I'll look and check dates. I have always wondered what that sticker meant. The truck ran/drove fine when I bought it 10+ years ago.

Hudonville, let me know how the solid mass flywheel works. I just did the zf5 swap to my 86' f350 dually and used the 6.9 flywheel behind my 6.9 and the rollover noise is horrendous at idle!! It turns out the 6.9 flywheel is @ 2/3 the thickness and weight of the DMF originally used. I'm searching for a good dmf or will do the smf conversions if it quiets the rollover noise down enough. Let me know!! Thanks!

HudsonvilleHornet

Reaction score
Will do jibronee. I'm a bit nervous about it to be honest, I've read a lot of good and bad experiences, and heard some pretty horrific sounding videos on youtube. Replacing in/output seals in anticipation of needing to overfill the ATF to try and combat noise. I would have gone with a DMF wheel to just not have to worry about it, truth be told...but I couldn't find one anywhere at any price.

jibronee

Reaction score
I resealed my tranny and added another 3+ quarts of fluid through shift hole; and added a good layer of insulation under rubber floor matt. It did help quiet it down in the cab, but when you open the door it's crazy loud echoing off the street, etc. Get your smf conversion done and let me know!!! hahahahaha

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an 87' F350 with a ZF5, it has a century wrecker body on it. I just got it a month ago and have spent most of my time working on the wrecker body. But while I was under there staring at the hydraulic pump that runs on the transmission, I noticed a sticker on the transmission that I think looks like that. I'll check tomorrow and compare notes.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure nuff, I got the same sticker on mine. It's birthday is 7/87.

Attachments

• IMG_20220405_080929.jpg
    IMG_20220405_080929.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220405_081022.jpg
    IMG_20220405_081022.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 7

HudsonvilleHornet

Reaction score
Can't really be definitive with a sample pool of two whose production dates are separated by a minimum of two and maximum of ~61 days, but with the same program expiration date, this has me leaning a lot more towards Ford wanting to know about problems with the early production units more than anything, which really makes the most sense all in all I think.

jibronee

Reaction score
Here's my tag from Oct. 31, 1987. My truck is registered as an 88'.

Attachments

• zf5 engineering tag.jpg
    zf5 engineering tag.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online