The moose pump revisited

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure this is a question that can be answered. Ive been studying on how these pumps work etc. I guess im a nerd and like to know as much as possible about something. What is it that makes the moose pump the moose pump. I mean honestly i think even a stock pump when turned up hgh enuf can supply the same amount of fuel, at least thats what i would think. So does it change the timing or?

If this question cant be answered due to business reasons i understand. Feel free to delete this post if need be.

Thanks again
Will

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the timing curve has been modified to produce more usable power. Also the plungers in the pump which meter the fuel have been enlarged making it possible to flow more fuel than a stock pump maxxed out. I don't have any facts but this is what I understand to be the case.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I wont give away any secrets but I will tell you this... They just plain work better than a stock pump. I suppose if you bought one and "investigated" the internals you "might" and I say that lightly... You might find out whats been done.... But why???:dunno I have never taken a pump apart. I don't plan on it either. Its much more than just a mechanical operation going on in the pumps. The calibration machine is something really special too. So knowing whats going on plus... Being able to operate a calibration machine might get you close. I'm no dummy.. I can't say I have any limitations either but I do. I know to tackle what I need to understand more of what makes it tick... But these pumps are something I have no interest in opening up. I have always shared all my "black magic" that I have learned with everyone. I even share what didn't work so others can understand the whys of our motors. For me the pumps are off limits but the motor internals are wide open...:sly I hope you attend the rally and get to ride in a few Moose pumped trucks. I will be giving rides in mine free but... The second ride is gonna cost ya....:rotflmao

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I will be giving rides in mine free but... The second ride is gonna cost ya....:rotflmao

So yer gonna turn the pump BACK up Gary?;Poke

Kinda reminds me of the guy who has a Holley carb on top of his spark plugger. Always tweakin it.:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a fair question to ask. There is some parts substitution, some machining, and a lot of tweaking that goes on. I suppose if you were a dedicated individual, you could sit down with a Moose Pump and a stock one, get out your micrometer, your dial caliper, your pantograph, and commence to taking both apart, comparing every part until you arrived at the sum of all the changes. Then you could try and make your own, but you still wouldn't have the knowledge of how to calibrate it, and since every pump is just a hair different, you can't really count the number of turns of a given screw or fitting to arrive at an identical unit. That's all I can tell you, because I don't personally do them. That's done by a mad scientist in a secret lab that only I know about. LOL. But I can tell you that this person knows what you say about him, likes his work, and likes hearing that you guys are happy with the fruits of his labor. I myself, along with many here, have taken pumps apart, and tried playing with the settings and seeing what happens. If you ever get one all the way apart, you know they have a lot of little pieces, and a lot of precision fit parts. Just like a vehicle windsheild, on the surface it all looks real easy, but once you get into it, suddenly your lack of knowledge, resources, and tools, becomes a buggaboo to deal with, and the problems can come faster than the solutions. I'll have a Moose Pump for sale at the rally. If someone wants to buy it and take it apart right there, I'm all for it! Then we can see whats inside. :angel: Oh, but the warranty ends with the sale then. LOL