Tempted by Newer Truck

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy Monday Gang,
I sit here having stayed home with the flu. However that isn't my true torment right now. An old friend of mine has offered me a good deal on his 2006 F-250 King Ranch 4x4 6.0. It is all stock with 170,000mi. Well taken care of, first owner being a Ford service manager. My torture is that I would need to sell my old girl Lil. I have spent hours and spilled much blood, sweat and even some tears over the years we have spent together. She has become a part of me. On the flip side, I am growing a bit tired of working on her and my wife has been for a while. I have a lot of other projects she has kept me from finishing. More so we have some trips coming up with motorcycles and our travel trailer. A newer truck that is quieter inside, can keep up with traffic, while getting better mileage and have luxury the old one will never dream of is hard to pass up.
If I decide to take the plunge what do you all think Lil would be worth?
1987 F-350 6.9 4x4 C6 Old style Banks Turbo 4in exhaust good tires. Straight body with no rust, interior in good shape.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7k? Really hard to say without knowing used car prices in your area.

I would be careful with the 6.0 if you are tired of spending money working on stuff. A friend of mine bought one with about the same mileage because it was well maintained and a good deal. He had terrible luck with it, got tired of repairs and sold it. He's an engineer, very handy and has worked for aviation piston and jet engine manufacturers his entire life.

If you are taking regular highway trips with your wife I can see there is a need for a newer, quieter vehicle. My IDI is mostly for trips around town, the occasional 2-3 hour highway trip and that almost never with the wife. Still, I sold my old truck with the C6 for one with a ZF5 and I spent a lot of time and $$ quieting mine down.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Food for thought; I have a 2009 f350 with the powerstroke in it at work. It's been a good truck with lots of power. Started smelling coolant. Kept adding coolant once in awhile, then it started leaving puddles. I looked it over a little bit, you can hardly see the engine under all that mess. They finally took it to the dealer, they said it needed the upper and lower radiator hoses. They did it for $849.00. $500 labor, the rest for parts.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6.0s have really come down in prices lately and a few of my customers have either sold off their idis or made them more of a toy to put miles on the newer trucks, dont think any of them have been free of issues from what I hear. On the flip side, theres about 3-5 idis posted each week in Texas with 10k+ price tags, and usually only last a few weeks at that price. The values of these trucks are only going up, and I could really see them becoming the next classic truck that everyone wants, just like an old c10 being worth 10x what it was worth twenty years ago. As posted before, a zf swapped in and some insulation along the firewall and under the carpet will seriously cut down on the road noise. That truck of yours is so nice its definitely worth putting the time and money into to make it what you need, just my two cents:)

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its loud because of the c-6. Put a gear vendors behind that and it will be much quieter on the highway.
I get the alure of the newer truck. I have a 2017 superduty at work and that thing sails down the interstate. But it cost the company $47K and has already been back at the dealer once for computer issues.
I just took my 94 on a 2800 mile road trip. It was louder and smellier, but I got better mileage than my 2017 would have gotten and I could work on any issues on my own.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no issue with the 6.0, but if it’s all stock at that mileage you need to be prepared for the cost of bullet proofing it. And the cost is basically an idi truck.

It isn’t if it needs egr, it’s when. If never tuned you *might not need to stud it, but you still might. They can be very good trucks, but eventually almost all of them need that work done and it isn’t cheap. Once it’s done they’ll go as long as you want to pay for diesel.

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a drop dead gorgeous 87 man, not much else to add lol.
I loved my 6.0 it was more comfortable, quieter and faster than my idi ever will but it wasn't cheap by any means.
Stock 6.0s that don't need major work are without a doubt the exception and not the rule. Once they're addressed though, you're pretty much set but don't think a 12 - 16 year old truck is never going need wheel bearings, brakes, steering components, accessories, etc at a higher cost

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 6.0 has so much more to go wrong than an IDI. Literally every person I've spoken to said their 6.0 was a great truck when it was running right, but that it was expensive to keep it running right, and nobody said they were sad to get rid of them.

Kevo1288

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 6.0 has so much more to go wrong than an IDI. Literally every person I've spoken to said their 6.0 was a great truck when it was running right, but that it was expensive to keep it running right, and nobody said they were sad to get rid of them.

This..... and that's why I passed up the 6.0 excursion that was immaculate this weekend. My 06 was so amazing WHEN IT RAN, however over the year of owner ship it spent 6 months in the shop, 6 months running.

Grady J

Reaction score
You should at least test the oil cooler on the 6.0 first before you make any decisions, you'll need a diagnostic tool that reads live data, under load the coolant and oil temp difference should not be greater than 15 degrees, anything more than that and the oil cooler is on its way out and will cause a lot of other issues. Everyone i know that owns a 6.0 loves their truck, but they've all had to eventually replace the oil cooler, egr or head gaskets.

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to say this, but that truck you got now is better than any 6.0 pile of $h!t out there. Yeah they can be great trucks if you got an extra 2-5k to dump into it annually just to keep it on the road. I know multiple people that have owned the 6.0, and all of them have dumped so much $ into them it’s unreal.
To top it off, my pops had one as a company vehicle, and it blew up in 20k. So fed up with it, he walked back to work and left the truck there cookoo.
You have a very nice truck. Keep it

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really miss my old 6.0 it was a great truck but yes some can be matience problems before our buy one hit up the 6.0 section and ask a few questions they saved me on one but it's d still buy one for the right price on the right truck they really are good trucks just picky like a woman

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 6 but I intentionally bought a ratty one with the intention of completely doing the suspension, brakes, driveline and the engine down to the short block, it's the only way to not have it in the shop constantly after 150k+ miles. That was cheap compared to buying a new truck, but it wasn't cheap. Injectors cost more each than a set for the idi. I'm loving that.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at your 87 CC and drooling. I'd love a crew cab, especially that nice! Couldn't afford one right now, but it's honestly a nice looking truck.

I agree with others here- 5-speed swap and it'll purr. With the turbo, if you can get the revs to around 2K at 70, it'll be much quieter, and have good power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online