Tell me it's NOT the fuel injection pump.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 F250 7.3 I.D.I., Duralift fuel pump. Just changed the fuel filter under the hood and cleaned the Duralift fuel pump filter. Have to ether it to get it to start and it runs 10 secs. and dies. Removed the left front injector line and cranked engine, got a little trickle of fuel, no real pressure.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I depress the Schraeder valve with the key on, pump pumping, the fuel sputters out. Replaced the i.P. about 4 years ago. How do you unstick a metering valve?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Don't even worry about the metering valve. That's not your problem. It won't magically stick after changing a fuel filter.
First thing anyone should do if having problems after changing a filter is check fuel pressure.
Sound like your lift pump is picking up air, if the fuel is sputtering out. Is it foamy? That has a clear bowl on the bottom? Look for air bubbles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you just have to bleed the system some more.

Always fill a new filter with diesel or fuel additive before you install it. Same when cleaning the Duralift filter.... Fill the bowl with diesel/fuel additive before install. You will still need to bleed the system at the schrader valve on the fuel filter until you get nothing but fuel. No air or bubbles/foam...... just a constant stream of fuel. Only then do you try and crank it over.

Once air gets to the IP, it's a pain to get bled.

Heath

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I depress the Schraeder valve with the key on, pump pumping, the fuel sputters out. Replaced the i.P. about 4 years ago. How do you unstick a metering valve?

Fuel should be constant out of the Schrader valve. No bubbles or sputtering. Only worry about the metering valve if you have completely purged the air from the fuel lines and the IP is not pushing fuel to the injectors. Disconnect the return hose from the IP and see if you are getting fuel out the top. If you are getting fuel out the top but no fuel to the injectors, then it's the metering valve.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your selector valve working properly? How much fuel is in your tank?

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I had filled the tank(s) up the day before. Prior to this happening I was driving in some heavy tall grass for 30 minutes or so when the truck died and would not restart w/o ether. It would then run and die. I noticed fuel was squirting from the filter under the hood. I ASSumed that the filter was clogged, so I changed the filter and cleaned the Duralift filter. I DID fill the underhood filter with fresh diesel before installing it. The Duralift filter looked like it immediately filled as soon as I tuned on the key and went to see if it was full and it was. Question# 651 and 652. Could there still be air in the system from the filter repairs and how do you unstick a metering valve? Oh yeah . . . #653 . . . why did it die in the first place?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay metering valve is not your problem, it’s unlikely to ever stick in a run dry situation and if it did it would be stuck fully open, and would readjust once lubricated with fuel.

Do you have a tach on your truck? How many rpms are you seeing when cranking?

Likely cause for it to die in tall grass is a fuel hose got snagged on something and it punctured a line up stream of your lift pump. Selector valve could even be cracked

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, when you ask about the rpm's are you asking what they are before it starts or after it starts and dies. If it is before it starts I will check that and get back to you, and if it were a cracked/pucntured fuel line would there not be massive diesel leak?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy.... It would be A LOT easier to diagnose the issue IF you gave us all the info at ONCE.
Any more "oh by the way" antidotes????

Just a few quick questions....

What could you have hit in said tall grass?
Could the truck have electrical issues?
How do you know the fsv is working?
Have you pulled it out of the weeds and looked under it?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you were driving around in tall enough grass for about 30 minutes, and the grass was dry, maybe enough grass got sucked into your air cleaner to clog the filter. Maybe you should check that first. The ether will burn easier and with less air than the diesel will. I'm not saying that this is your problem, but it's easy enough to check.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay metering valve is not your problem, it’s unlikely to ever stick in a run dry situation and if it did it would be stuck fully open, and would readjust once lubricated with fuel.

I've had two IP's get stuck metering valves from a dry reservoir. Justin from R&D taught me himself how to adjust the metering valve because this type of thing can happen. It is "unlikely" as you say, but I'm assuming what the OP is telling us is correct, then his symptoms are nearly identical to when I've experienced a stuck-closed metering valve in an IDI IP.

I had this happen a few times. I had an IP on the shelf, installed it, and I was getting good pressure to the IP with the fuel lines fully purged. I even got diesel flowing out of the top IP fuel return, but nothing to the injectors. On a different occasion, I accidentally ran the tank dry (back before I fixed the fuel gauge) and it put air in the system. The dry IP reservoir allowed to the metering valve (this was on a 2nd IP) to stuck in a nearly-closed position, thus allowing a tiny trickle to the injectors, even though the fuel lines up the IP had been completely purged of air. The IP return showed fuel flowing as well.

I opened the IP in both situations (as per Justin's instructions over the phone) and fiddled with the valve (much like the video I posted above shows). Just by moving the action back and forth a few times, it freed up the valve and I reinstalled the IP cover. Then I cracked the injector lines and fuel flowed MUCH better. Within a few cranks, the air was purged and the engine ran.

This could be his problem, however, I'm not completely convinced he purged the air from his fuel lines. Opening the IP should be the LAST thing the OP does when diagnosing this problem. The up-to-IP-inlet fuel system should be completely checked over (like in my link) before resorting to the metering valve manipulation. And the OP should take a few sessions of cranking before assuming the air in the injector lines are fully purged of air. Also, I'd like to hear from him if he pulled the IP return hose off and cranked it over. Is he getting fuel from the IP return line, but no fuel from the cracked injector lines? That would be a good way to help diagnose.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had two IP's get stuck metering valves from a dry reservoir. Justin from R&D taught me himself how to adjust the metering valve because this type of thing can happen. It is "unlikely" as you say, but I'm assuming what the OP is telling us is correct, then his symptoms are nearly identical to when I've experienced a stuck-closed metering valve in an IDI IP.

I had this happen a few times. I had an IP on the shelf, installed it, and I was getting good pressure to the IP with the fuel lines fully purged. I even got diesel flowing out of the top IP fuel return, but nothing to the injectors. On a different occasion, I accidentally ran the tank dry (back before I fixed the fuel gauge) and it put air in the system. The dry IP reservoir allowed to the metering valve (this was on a 2nd IP) to stuck in a nearly-closed position, thus allowing a tiny trickle to the injectors, even though the fuel lines up the IP had been completely purged of air. The IP return showed fuel flowing as well.

I opened the IP in both situations (as per Justin's instructions over the phone) and fiddled with the valve (much like the video I posted above shows). Just by moving the action back and forth a few times, it freed up the valve and I reinstalled the IP cover. Then I cracked the injector lines and fuel flowed MUCH better. Within a few cranks, the air was purged and the engine ran.

This could be his problem, however, I'm not completely convinced he purged the air from his fuel lines. Opening the IP should be the LAST thing the OP does when diagnosing this problem. The up-to-IP-inlet fuel system should be completely checked over (like in my link) before resorting to the metering valve manipulation. And the OP should take a few sessions of cranking before assuming the air in the injector lines are fully purged of air. Also, I'd like to hear from him if he pulled the IP return hose off and cranked it over. Is he getting fuel from the IP return line, but no fuel from the cracked injector lines? That would be a good way to help diagnose.
When an IP starts to run dry, the metering valve opens all the way up to compensate for the air in order to keep the rpms up, now if you shut it off, then drain the fuel and it rusts up, or you pulled a pump from the junkyard then sure I could see that happening. But a metering valve sticking shut doesn’t just “happen” to a truck that was momentarily ago running fine. It’s about as common as an idi splitting a crankshaft in my experience, and it sounds like you just got really unlucky.