"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did Email a supplier years ago that listed a stainless steel unit but it wasn't in stock> I don't remember who it was. I wasn't in the mood to spend money either, so it's not like I could make a business case for them to stock up on bling like that. I would love to install a stainless sender and poly tank, but the truth is, even a steel tank can last 15-20 years in my neck of the woods (oil undercoating can extend it dramatically).

Except for galvanized frames. That's something I'll never stop wanting.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I plan on getting my tank painted before I put it in. Should last plenty long I would imagine. Although in fairness even if I don't paint it I'm sure it will last quite a while. The only vehicles I've replaced leaky tanks on have been 20+ years old....

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this stall mat a couple days ago so I can put the 100gal tank back in the bed. I didn't like the tank just sitting on the bed vibrating metal on metal.

You must be registered for see images attach

The plan was to cut some of it and use a couple strips between the new 38gal fuel tank and the skid plate. I cut it just shy of the fifth wheel rails so maybe I could get the pins in if I need to.

I'll be darned if the excess left over piece wasn't EXACTLY the right size for the end of the bed. How does that happen???

But I mean like.... PERFECT.

Very happy with how that accidentally turned out. Guess I'll just have to buy another piece and scab it in the middle and use some of THAT between the 38gal fuel tank and skid plate.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More goodies showed up today. I wanted to just go with the aerosol cans but that was a little cost prohibitive. This was plenty expensive but I can use the aerosol cans for the enclosed and hard to reach places and still have the bulk to brush on everything else. I should also have enough to coat at LEAST the underside of the cab and wheel wells too.

I'm strongly considering a set of stainless braided brake hoses. PMF looks cheapest but they're still $170. Any better suggestions are welcome.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Degreased the new F26E tank best I could last night.

Hard to tell but Sherwin Williams Industrial Etching primer went on first. Light green hue.

First coat of black! Almost a shame to hide this! The lighting makes it look grey but it's definitely black.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went out today and unbolted a bunch of stuff off the new donor truck getting ready to pull the axles. It's supposed to start raining this afternoon and rain until Wednesday so I doubt I'll get as much progress as I'd like to.

I figured out which springs are best and pulled those off so I can "rebuild" them.

I have new tip pads, I hope they fit correctly. I'll have to see what size center pin I need and track down the Teflon pads that go in the middle between the springs but I don't think that will be much trouble.

I can replace the bushings while I have them out too. These really aren't horrible, at least they're not half gone, but now is the time to do it.

I already bought the urethane bushing kit so that'll give me some inside work if it's pouring outside.

I was going to use the overload springs off this axle too but they're pretty rough. Rust has compromised them near the center pin so I'll have to weigh my options on that. I may run them anyway because I hope to add air bags later when I can spare the money.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This morning while the wife sleeps in I pulled the RSK bracket off the donor. Fought me a little bit because no matter which way you lift it's twisting but I eventually got it out.

Slipped it on the new frame to get a better idea of where the bolts are actually going to land. I may have to trim my frame box braces some and this will tell me what needs to go where.

I was concerned from eyeballing it that the holes might land halfway on existing holes but that doesn't appear to be the case thankfully.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning while the wife sleeps in I pulled the RSK bracket off the donor. Fought me a little bit because no matter which way you lift it's twisting but I eventually got it out.

Slipped it on the new frame to get a better idea of where the bolts are actually going to land. I may have to trim my frame box braces some and this will tell me what needs to go where.

I was concerned from eyeballing it that the holes might land halfway on existing holes but that doesn't appear to be the case thankfully.
That RSK is a great look on the new frame.
Time to roll some axles.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the wife and I got back home I got the brackets trimmed down and everything fit up to mark the 5/8 holes. I didn't think they would be close enough to the front to catch that bottom hole but I was able to tap them forward with a hammer enough to fit.

Turns out I ruined my 5/8 drill bit last time I used it, lots of runout. I'm going to see if my buddy at the machine shop can punch those holes for me tomorrow.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you go to replace that drill, consider one of these:
Milwaukee Red Helix Cobalt Drill Bit Set

Easily the best metal drills I've ever used, and poking around online people that use them professionally say the same. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Don't get the red helix titanium, get the cobalt.

BTW's I love that you posted about getting the fitment right on the first try on your fab work, etc. Sounds just like myself! I rarely make something work first try, of course I always do my best, but it rarely works out. I appreciate you sharing and the excitement! :D

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you go to replace that drill, consider one of these:
Milwaukee Red Helix Cobalt Drill Bit Set

Easily the best metal drills I've ever used, and poking around online people that use them professionally say the same.

Yeah I have a problem with that. I don't want to buy good bits because I keep breaking cheap bits. I know it's a self inflicted cycle but I'm stubborn LOL

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give them a try. I've considered a set like this....

But they aren't cheap. Maybe that's a good thing though....

BTW's I love that you posted about getting the fitment right on the first try on your fab work, etc. Sounds just like myself! I rarely make something work first try, of course I always do my best, but it rarely works out. I appreciate you sharing and the excitement! :D

I know! Sometimes I get lucky but I'm so used to riding the struggle bus it's unexpected LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx