"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice lights and style wish my 93 came with those can't bring my self to drill holes install them.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not today but last Thursday...

I'm thinking my 4wd swap moved a little higher up my list...

You must be registered for see images attach

It was infuriating at the time, but as soon as I unhooked the (nearly empty) trailer she walked out of it (after blocking it up trying to move them both). Ended up unloading the trailer by hand, then dragging the trailer out with a few straps with the truck on the gravel.

What made it worse was having a 4wd wrecker 20 feet away. Not running, and with a bad frame, but still. Insult to injury.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it was just spinning one side? Iirc all the first gen sterlings are open diffs

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it was just spinning one side? Iirc all the first gen sterlings are open diffs

Yessir, passenger side tires would spin away... Even on the 1/2" steel plate I put under them. Polished it up nicely though. I'd strongly consider a used trac-loc if it wasn't for the additional setup of the ring and pinion...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe keep an eye out for an obs dually axle, it would swap right in and you would have the better bearing setup and factory lsd

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir, passenger side tires would spin away... Even on the 1/2" steel plate I put under them. Polished it up nicely though. I'd strongly consider a used trac-loc if it wasn't for the additional setup of the ring and pinion...
After reading this on FTE:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1415013-nothing-special-s-guide-to-differentials.html I'm convinced that the Trac-Loc is the best setup for the rear on my rig as well. Someday when I have time(and a dial indicator) I'll get one and figure out the install...
But I agree with you, 4x4 swap sounds great. I have 4x4 and its saved my bacon a few times with my trailer, besides all the other excellent uses.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well other than a fuel or air related issue Monday and my sticky parking brake she's been running great.

1/8th mile from work today and I get pulled over.... Blown headlight. So now I finally get to deal with this one that is glued into the housing.... In the rain/snow... In 30 degree weather. Fun...

Does anything besides the grille and batteries have to come off to pull bricknose headlight housings off?

I also have noticed a very alkaline smell since yesterday afternoon inside the truck. I do have the headlight relay harness, can't find anything visibly wrong, hot, or smoking... Any suggestions? I'll probably hoe the truck out tonight just to make sure it's nothing else. I'm not very good about keeping the cab clean in the winter unfortunately. Nasty habit of "I'll do it later" lol.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the old lights off and the "new to me" lights got hit with some 600 grit, 1200 grit, and clear. Far from show quality but more of a difference than this pic shows (old one on the bottom). These lights were in better shape than mine were to begin with.

Here's the mess the PO left for me...

Sure looks weird with no grille at all!

Anyone know what this thing is?? Looks like a dummy plug. Near the drivers side headlight.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wes!

The deed is done. New to me headlights are in and work good against the garage door lol. We'll see if they're noticably better in the morning. Sure LOOK a lot clearer though so it can't hurt.