"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell how much difference it made. Completely worth it just because now my high beams are actually worth using.

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it didn't work at all! Those lights suck!
:rotflmao:rotflmao

(They aren't on, lol)

Great, both of them are blown? :rotflmao

I was afraid one of them would blow before I got the ticket signed off since they're used bulbs. That would have been my luck lol!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well no pictures to share but I think I finally fixed my fuel gauge. I replaced about 6 feet of the sending unit wire. Pretty much just clipped until I got wire that wasn't black from corrosion.

I knew when I replaced my tank selector valve that using unsealed crimp connectors would be a problem down the road. Sure enough, I started untaping the wires and water started dripping down. Apparently the tape job was good enough to seal in any water that sprayed into it. A couple of the connections had come apart. They all needed to be redone.

I replaced all the crimps with adhesive heatshrink crimps and figured I'd test my gauge by switching tanks since the rear is empty... .... No switching. I'm getting 12v at the plug and the wiring switches polarity as it should. I'm pretty upset though, the "weatherpack" style connector didn't seal worth jack. Unplugged it and everything was green and wet :mad: I tried cleaning it but I'm betting it's got water inside the FSV. No amount of cleaning managed to get it to switch. That switch is only a year old!!!!! I installed it before the rally last year.

I'm not sure if I'll bother replacing it or not yet. Might be an ideal time for a 38gal tank but money is pretty tight. If I do replace it, everything will get a heavy coat of dielectric grease before assembly!!!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
everything will get a heavy coat of dielectric grease before assembly!!!
I did this to the main plug on my engine wiring harness while putting my engine back in last year. I think it's a good idea. As for the unsealed crimp connectors, I have a friend who used to cover both ends of the connectors with RTV before taping them up. He said that it was to keep water out. I have no idea if it worked, but it sounds like it should. I DO know from experience helping him with trailer light replacement that it does make a BIG mess on your hands.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this to the main plug on my engine wiring harness while putting my engine back in last year. I think it's a good idea. As for the unsealed crimp connectors, I have a friend who used to cover both ends of the connectors with RTV before taping them up. He said that it was to keep water out. I have no idea if it worked, but it sounds like it should. I DO know from experience helping him with trailer light replacement that it does make a BIG mess on your hands.
I bet it does! Adhesive shrink wrap FTW, finally got me some earlier this year and a box of bare terminals; now fixing wires the RIGHT way is almost too easy! I love it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My go to is liquid electrical tape followed by heat shrink. If you are careful, you can shrink the tube without boiling the solvent in the liquid tape. Nice to see a little ooze out as it shrinks up the last bit. Dialectic grease never hurt anyone. Me, I just don’t drive mine in the rain if I can help it.

LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I bet it does! Adhesive shrink wrap FTW, finally got me some earlier this year and a box of bare terminals; now fixing wires the RIGHT way is almost too easy! I love it.
I forgot to mention that this was back in the mid 90's. If good things like the adhesive/weatherproof shrink wrap was available, we didn't know about it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I would have used that first but didn't have any due to poor planning on my part lol.

Me, I just don’t drive mine in the rain if I can help it.

Yeah sadly the problem wasn't rain but saltwater.... I didn't want to but it beats walking to work LOL

I would have used it before but... Why would I be worried about a ""waterproof"" connector -cuss

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragging the new trailer home the other day my fender marker lights on the truck went out. I checked the relay under the hood and it clicked, and had power.

I spent a couple hours crawling around underneath this truck, tracing wires, unhooking stuff, removing looms looking for a split... Nothing.

Finally managed to figure out even though my two year old relay was clicking it wasn't doing jack. I'm tired of replacing a $12 relay.... I've had issues with it getting wet and sticking on before too.

That should fix it. Now it uses a standard 5 pin Bosch style relay and worst case I can steal one off something else in the truck if it goes bad again on the road.