T-19 to ZF5

ammocan

Reaction score
So I desperately want a 5 speed in my truck since I do enough highway driving to make me crazy. I have a friend with a ZF5 laying around and I want to scrap my 4 speed T-19. Both are 2wd so I dont have to mess with 4wd stuff. I have heard that this is a direct bolt on replacement. Is this true?
I am trying to get a good idea of what considerations need to be made before starting this project. I want to hear from people with experience in this swap and what I will need other than the trans and clutch to do it. Any modifications such as shortening the drive line or parts I will need. And any heads up on problems or pitfalls I will encounter.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a T-19 to ZF5 swap in 2005, but my truck's a 4x4. I don't know if the 2WD T-19 and ZF are the same length...I know that the 4x4 variants are identical.

If they're different lengths, but only by an inch or so, the driveshaft may be able to make up the difference. Also, the U-joint at the transmission may be different...I remember someone went from a C6 to a ZF5, and ended up needing to get creative with finding a U-joint that would work. For that matter, some trucks have slip joints at the back of the transmission instead of U-joints...so, you might have to source at least the front part of a driveshaft. The good news is, there's a slip-fitting in the driveshaft...this can accomodate a slightly different length, and if the spline count is the same, you can put the front half of a ZF driveshaft onto the rear part of the driveshaft you already have, and then you won't have to worry about U-joints at the axle.

Beyond that...really, the only thing you need is a clutch assembly and a floor pan insert. The hydraulics are the same ;Sweet

You MIGHT be able to beat the T-19 floor pan insert and make it work with the ZF, but in stock form, the pan insert hits the back of the transmission. Take a look at these pics...the T-19 pan is the one that drops down behind the gearshift lever and already has the hole fro the transfer case shifter in the pics (I cut out a hole in the ZF pan for my shifter). In the last picture, it's resting on the back of the ZF with about 3/4" of a gap between the insert and the floor pan...

I've done quite a bit to my truck over the years...but, I strongly contend that the ZF5 swap is the best thing I ever did to it ;Sweet I strongly encourage you to go ahead and do it!

Attachments

• ZF inner shift boot 01.jpg
    ZF inner shift boot 01.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 17
  • paninsert1.jpg
    paninsert1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Floor Pan 01.jpg
    Floor Pan 01.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Floor Pan 02.jpg
    Floor Pan 02.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 17

ammocan

Reaction score
Awesome info thx! Any idea where I can get the pan without hunting junk yards?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use a pan from an auto...and cut your own hole. I did this when I swapped from my auto to my zf. Might open up your options in finding one quicker.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont send the T-19 to china, some people actually like them!

ammocan

Reaction score
Well lets be clear about my intentions here. I have no issues with the t-19 other than I hate driving in the slow lane and still having cars lining up behind me on the interstate and my engine wrapped out with the valves ricocheting off the underside of my hood. Around town I have no issues with the trans as is but even 1 trip a month on the freeway would make 5th gear worth it.
If it makes the T-19 fans happy I am not resigning the trans to the grave. Im sure it will find its way to a grateful truck.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I hate driving in the slow lane and still having cars lining up behind me on the interstate and my engine wrapped out with the valves ricocheting off the underside of my hood...

might actually be the sound of small arms fire from fellow motorists!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use a pan from an auto...and cut your own hole. I did this when I swapped from my auto to my zf. Might open up your options in finding one quicker.
What he said...I don't know about the C6, but the E4DOA uses the same pan as the ZF; all you have to do is cut a hole. Actually, I've always thought that the factory hole for the ZF gearshift lever was on the big side; I wonder if taking a slushbox pan and cutting a smaller hole would allow less noise and heat to enter the cab?

Speaking of noise, if you don't already have a good shift boot, shelling out the money for a factory replacement is money well spent. Ford did a VERY good job with the factory shift boot as far as noise deadening is concerned...

dont send the T-19 to china, some people actually like them!
X2.. bomb proof tranny, shame to see it swapped.
well he did say he logs a lot of interstate miles & i believe the speed limit is 85mph in UT if i remember correctly!
The T-19's a bomb-proof transmission, but IMHO that overdrive gear is worth its weight in gold if you do a lot of freeway driving. An overdrive unit is another option, or you could do both the ZF and an OD unit and get double overdrive ;Sweet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the T-19 may be a solid unit. but the ZF5 completely blew my mind.
more low end grunt, and overdrive!
as far as the t-19 goes, its so popular, ive had the pieces for an entire swap on CL for a month now, no bites at 300 bucks.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the T-19 may be a solid unit. but the ZF5 completely blew my mind.
more low end grunt, and overdrive!
as far as the t-19 goes, its so popular, ive had the pieces for an entire swap on CL for a month now, no bites at 300 bucks.

That would depend on which ZF you get, the early ones are basically the same as the T-19 and the later ones have the lower first gear and wider gear splits.

When I was looking for ZF info, I found a blog about a guy who did the same thing you want with basically the same early 2wd truck. He said that as far as bolting it up you could swap just the clutch disc (spring hub and splines to fit ZF) and throw out bearing if your flywheel and pressure plate were good, and you need the right u-joint as the ZF has a larger one than the t-19 trucks. Then deal with your floor however you want and hit the road. He even had pics, seemed pretty straight forward to me.
Travis..

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah I think ther earlier ZF's (S5-42) had a 1st gear ratio very close to, if not the same as the 4.14 ratio of the T-19. And reverse is damn close to. But that .77 OD of the ZF makes it SOOO worth the swap for anyone doing any amount of hwy driving!!!! ITs the BEST mod I have done to my truck!

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^Absolutely, the OD makes all the difference. My truck has a GV, and without it, you are returned to the era of that circled double nickel on the speedo.
Travis..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is an F450 ZF5. dont know the year, but it rocks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online