Switch to IH Crew cab questions

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, if you have tons of money laying around to make it 800 streetable HP. For a pulling engine, you don't have emmissions inspections, overheating, making smoke clouds that get you pulled over by the cops, etc.. They seem like minor issues, but they aren't.

I'd doubt an 800HP DT466 stuffed in a pickup would make a reliable everyday driver, Dale. cookoo LOL

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Naah...seems a bit underpowered! Maybe a nice round 1000HP. :)

Make mine an S1900 with a 5+2 Spicer.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other issue is of course, the drivetrain.

MD trannies won't handle much more TQ than the diesel puts out stock. We all know most MD trannies have a max input rating of 660 ftlbs. Some of the allison transmissions are 540 ft lbs some are 620 to 660. Some of the Fuller directs can take 700+ ft lbs. Another problem is wheel slippage. A pick-up can release excess power since the ass end is generally light and tires are smaller & lighter through smoking the tires. Most 8 ton MD's with 40" tall 200lb tires can barely break them loose. Result is a box full of shredded gears or a blown TC. Seen it already.

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a RTOO-913 would be just about right. That is a Roadranger rated for over 900 foot pounds and the last 2 gears are overdriven. I don't know what sort of bell comes on a 466 but if it is a SAE type then a Roadranger ought to be able to fit. Shifter, air, controls and all that would come into play but even with a 4.50 or so gear ratio, it should cruise nicely down the freeway. I am thinking with all those gears and ultimately less then 30k to deal with (even with a truck change) it should be fine. I will post a couple pics on the next post with my rig and what it may have to do.
Kevin

Pics here. The camping pics were yesterday -
Put camper and trailer with same truck and you see my dilema
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=7573&s=30110#content

Attachments

• race.jpg
    race.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Camping 010.jpg
    Camping 010.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can put almost anything behind a DT. I wanted a 13 speed RTO6613 behind my DT466. i almost went with one when I did my trans swap, but it's discontinued for quite a while and was expensive. There's a limited amount of trannies you can do with a 4x4 because some of the big box twin countershaft trannies don't leave enough room for the front drive shaft and exhaust to both pass by on the passenger side.
I decided on the Spicer 7 speed O/D since it would handle 660ftlbs, give me the O/D I so badly wanted and fit within my budget. it's no Road Ranger, but I like it.

My next truck is gonna be a tandem 10x10 with a demolition body and hyraulic tailgate. I even know where it's going to come from. just a matter of time & money.

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duke - what do you think of those conversion photo's? Earlier in the thread..
I found a Ford F-700 4x4, early 90's but a gasser. Not a crew cab either but lots of frame to add one. Since I have a truck camper the 4x4 is a nice feature but really detracts from freeway operation and the gear ratios are pretty slow.

Then there is this I just found..I think I am in love... :hail
http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...1103304&guid=094FA171D792491F94CD1C86B03FBDCD

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The F800 4x4 is kinda cool, but to me it's impractical. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm too old for something like that. :eek: It just looks like a truck meant for someone who has something to prove.....The M/D 4x4 is pretty useless unless you do a lot of off-road work or are using it for fire/rescue.
The other that really concerns me is the mismatched tires cookoo . The height of the tires is different. We all know what happens when you use 4x4 with different height tires front & rear. :eek: If engaged in 4x4 with those mismatched tires, the transfer case would be destroyed in short order.

The thing I never liked about Ford & GM 4x4 conversions was their ridiculous front ends. They sit far too high for anything more than the trips a fire truck or a local dump truck/site truck would make. That's why I went with IH 4x4. They're built right on the IH assembly line. They're engineered correctly. IMO, MH systems aren't built under the front suspension & oil pan the way they should be.

I use my truck off the pavement enough where the 4x4 is a real lifesaver and the front end sits low enough that I can see the road. I can't imagine trying to manuever & park that F-800 everyday with its' football field turning radius and poor visibility. trying to get into a parking spot or campsite would get you more laughs from onlookers than you'll want.

I've read through this thread a few times and if you want my opinion, get an F-450/550 4x4 crewcab converted to a pickup and throw your camper on it. It'll take you way farther on or off road than a big M/D truck. Trust me, I've owned both for years and worked them side by side on the same jobsites on & off road. I'm not some kid or internet "supertrucker". I've done it all with these trucks. A 450 or 550 4x4 will walk all over an F800 4x4 or my IH off road and be much more civilized over the road. The 450/550 will satisfy the MD lover in you and all your friends & family will appreciate the lower step-in height and far better ride. Plus you'll look a lot nicer and get lots of looks on the campgrounds and you can buy an endless number of aftermarket upgrades since they're a truck still in production. You can easily make your 7.3L 400RWHP or drop a 5.9L Cummins in it!!!
I bet you can pick one up used in the mid-20's!

I just don't see that truck as something you'd want to haul the family around in on a long distance trip, but if you like it, go for it! 8.3's are a nice diesel.

Is it in your price range?

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I really need to do is stick an F-450 Dana 60 under my front end, (mine has the 50) get the F-450 rear hubs and brakes all around and run 19.5 tires and I should be good. A 7 speed would sure be nice though. :thumbsup: Unloaded I am always looking for that next gear.

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep he has that one on Truckpaper for 16k. It would cost me a grand in fuel to get it home probably. Not an allison fan but it is just about perfect in every other way. I think if I deal with brakes and wheel/tire with my truck it is adaquate for the times it would haul it all.

http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/6/2/82546162.htm
Strange to need an inframe at 50k, probably a typo and it is 500k. Need to cover that paintjob.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online