Switch to IH Crew cab questions

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a coworker offer my 24k for my 2k converted dually today. Probably as much as I could want for it if it were for sale. What I am thinking as a replacement is a mid/late 90's crew cab International with a DT-466 and a manual trans. I have a 3500lb Alpenlite truck camper and a 28 foot Pace Pursuit car trailer. That is quite a bit to put on a 1 ton dually but within spec. The Internationals I have seen would handle that with ease. What should I expect to spend? What years to look for and ones to avoid. I am interested in any information that might help guide me to a good purchase. For example I found an early 90's model with about 100k on it, a 10 speed OD, air brakes and air ride for about 19k. Has 3.70's and 22.5 tires. Can this truck cruise at 65-75? What is cruising RPM for the 466. I would think about 2000 rpm but having never driven one I don't know. I figure i will add a tow bed or modify one to raise the camper high enough to clear the cab. I want to not be spending more then I get from my truck so that keeps me in the used catagory.
Kevin

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kblackav8or said:
I had a coworker offer my 24k for my 2k converted dually today. Probably as much as I could want for it if it were for sale. What I am thinking as a replacement is a mid/late 90's crew cab International with a DT-466 and a manual trans. I have a 3500lb Alpenlite truck camper and a 28 foot Pace Pursuit car trailer. That is quite a bit to put on a 1 ton dually but within spec. The Internationals I have seen would handle that with ease. What should I expect to spend? What years to look for and ones to avoid. I am interested in any information that might help guide me to a good purchase. For example I found an early 90's model with about 100k on it, a 10 speed OD, air brakes and air ride for about 19k. Has 3.70's and 22.5 tires. Can this truck cruise at 65-75? What is cruising RPM for the 466. I would think about 2000 rpm but having never driven one I don't know. I figure i will add a tow bed or modify one to raise the camper high enough to clear the cab. I want to not be spending more then I get from my truck so that keeps me in the used catagory.
Kevin

Kevin,

The early 90's model you looked at with O/D, 3.70's and 22.5's might be able to go more like 85 MPH! Mine has a .74 O/D with 5.38's and 12R22.5's and will go ~68-70MPH at ~2500RPM, so the one you looked at would have a much higher top speed. If the truck is set up that way, I'd bet you'll cruise 70MPH at ~2000 RPM. Make sure the 10 speed is an O/D, to be sure. I assume it's a 5 speed with a 2 speed rear ??
The early 90's models are excellent mechanical diesels so long as you're OK with the HP level. There's not a lot you can do with them except turn up the pump, tighten the gov springs or advance the timing to get another ~30HP, so be sure to check the top of the DT for the HP rating label. I would think anything over 195HP would be plenty for what you're doing. If you want to go higher, you have to buy a new pump, turbo and injectors to get a lot more power. In ~'95, they switched to electronic so there's a few weak modules out there that will plug in and give you ~50HP & 100 ft lbs. Mark Craig sells a module for the electronic DT466.

I've seen decked-out mid 90's crewcabs with a hauler bed on back sell for low-mid 20's, so i think you'll be able to afford a truck like you want, but it might have 100-200K on it.

There's another member here Markinter that has a crewcab 4900 with a camper on it and he really seems to like it. I thought he was thinking about selling it, so you might want to get ahold of him and ask him how he likes his, too.

On edit: I know it's 10 grand more than you want to spend, but this would be a dream ride and would easily pull the load you have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...613545336QQcategoryZ86878QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's an even better option, you could easily add very comfy seats to this truck and customize it!http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...613616062QQcategoryZ84151QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed he said it tachs about "1700RPM at 55". That sounds just about right for 70MPH at 2000-2100RPM. The rev limiter is usually 2500-2700.

If that's what you're looking for and the cost to add the camper isn't too high, that looks like the right truck for ya. Seems like a pretty decent deal. Since it's a '93, it might have a "P Pump" like a 12V Dodge. It's easier to turn up than a Robby Bosch pump, like I have in my '92 if that's important to you.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Ironically, that's the exact truck I wanted to buy. It has everything a person could want for hauling almost anything. The Ppump is still a Bosch, just better than the older ones.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nevrenufhp said:
Ironically, that's the exact truck I wanted to buy. It has everything a person could want for hauling almost anything. The Ppump is still a Bosch, just better than the older ones.

Yeah, I have the MWM.

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I found out it was already sold today. SWIMBO likes our current truck and is opposed to the idea of switching out though I can't imagine getting 24k for my truck ever again. I think I could turn around and buy a 4700 and add the appropriate bits to haul my Alpenlite and still have some change left over. I am still looking.

Add a crew cab and sell the utility bits and this one would be perfect.
http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...1057443&guid=F66E34FC4FFB4D7D844B6D5DADC2A20A

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kblackav8or said:
Or this one - PA rust concerns me though. I hate working under rusty things.
http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...1052432&guid=F66E34FC4FFB4D7D844B6D5DADC2A20A

That place & truck is 30 miles from me. Let me tell you something about that truck. it's great for work, but miserable for highway driving. I should know. Punishing ride quality and no A/C. Take that sucker on more than a 50 mile trip is like riding a horse ********. Probably has 5.38's in it like mine, so top speed with a direct trans is ~57MPH.

What about this? Very clean, 7 speed, crewcab, Cummins low mileage:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...613616062QQcategoryZ84151QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I think I'm confused. I thought you were looking for a comfy crewcab truck to haul several people with a manual tranny & under CDL limit. LOL Most trucks you're showing (except the first one) are definately "work dogs", like mine that you can't wait to stop driving. LOL

So you definately want a 4700? Just remember, F650/750's are made by IH, too.

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is about getting a DT 466 as much as anything. They sound impressive. I would also be fine with the CAT and probably the Cummins as well so a F-650 would also work as well. I kind of like the IH crew cab design with the amount of space, the doors and the fact they haven't made any huge changes for long periods of time. I realize the new ones look much different but for a long time that cab remained basically the same. Does IH make the entire truck for Ford to just make the frame/drivetrain and assemble the rest?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
kblackav8or said:
I think it is about getting a DT 466 as much as anything. They sound impressive.....
Have you heard one straight piped? My work truck is, and it's freakin kooool! ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online