Switch to IH Crew cab questions

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main requirements would be a 6 or more speed manual and a DT-466. Put that in a F-650 and I would be very happy. Or we could stretch my current Superduty with a custom frame and some creative body work and do it that way...

I guess I am trying to do this on the cheap. I also sort of like projects. My Mustang will be done in a year or so. I put a V8 EFI 5.0 in a Volvo station wagon before. ;Sweet

Last edited:

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
I haven't seen a non-school bus, non-trash truck IH MDT without A/C in years.

For cab comfort, I rate a 2004 F-650 XLT only slightly better than a 1979 International S1700. The 650, in addition to being a total, complete dog, just feels cheap. It has several glaringly obvious (as in, you get in the truck and immediately think, "what idiot designed THIS abortion?") design flaws.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
kblackav8or said:
Stop teasing me...Probably sell my low miles PSD for close to what it would cost to do.

466 would fit in this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4616034314&fromMakeTrack=true
It's not a tease, I read a post this morning about a 466 that went in a 93 F250. He said it wasn't as bad as one might expect. :love:
Also, it would indeed fit in that F650 a little easier. :D

Here's what he said:
[3-04-05]What do you guys think of one of my ongoing projects. A DT466 in a 1993 F250 as of now it looks like it will fit and i thiink the trany will bolt to the 466!!! and one thing i just found out my brother-in-law has a 3 stage jacobs eng. brake for my 466!!!! I think it has the potential to be one of the coolest trucks around and it already has 6" of lift spinning 16/38.5.16.5 TSL I will try to post picks as soon as i can!!!

[2-24-06]All went well with my project just make your self eng mounts and take the fan off the 466 (use an eletric one)and your in!! it's not as bad to do as you might think. (from BDpower forums)

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need a mid-90's something being parted out. Looking at the F-650 again, a 429 gasser, that thing is only worth about 10k I would think. Probably find the right motor/trans for under 10k though. Maybe a ratio change in the rear to get the speed up where it needs to be. Gotta be able to do 70 on I-5.

Any pics of that conversion?

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jarlaxle said:
I haven't seen a non-school bus, non-trash truck IH MDT without A/C in years.

For cab comfort, I rate a 2004 F-650 XLT only slightly better than a 1979 International S1700. The 650, in addition to being a total, complete dog, just feels cheap. It has several glaringly obvious (as in, you get in the truck and immediately think, "what idiot designed THIS abortion?") design flaws.

I have just the opposite out here. Rarely does an IH work truck have A/C.

All 3 of the IH trucks I've owned over the last 20 years have the most god-awful bench seats, the design of which hasn't changed since the 60's. You spend all day trying to "adjust yourself" to a more comfortable position. I had no choice but to get air-rides in mine. The Fords I've seen at least have a contoured bench seat same as an F-250, tilt wheel, some sort of map pockets or a glove compartment. A/C is standard in the 650/750-it's optional as with IH.

I agree the inside materials in the 650 are cheaper. The F650/750 is laid out just like a '99 or newer F-250 inside, in fact, most of the interior & dash pieces are interchangeable, so you can buy a set of really nice seats, back seat, headliner, map pockets, etc. from a wrecked XLT or lariat and throw them in the F650 and they fit perfect. I was thinking if he got a 650 crewcab, he would have thousands of well equipedF-250/350's to get really nice interior parts from.

As far as being a "dog", it all depends on what powertrain you order. The F-650's with 250 CATs & allisons will crush my IH DT466 7 speed in a race. Now a 190 Cummins or CAT might be kinda slow. LOL

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Tart up the 650 all you want, you still have a gutless truck with the steering wheel in your lap, an obscured air gauge, obstructed (and unlit) cruise control switches (doubly so with the coulmn-shift slushpump), half-baked "gauges" with no numbers (and the oil "gauge" is an idiot light with a needle), seat belts that get tighter and tighter with every bump, a weak heater that nonetheless roars like a subway train on high, and a (non-adjustable) shoulder belt that cuts neatly across the throat. Again, I rank the 65,000-mile 2004 650 I drive at my new job only slightly better than the million-plus-mile 1979 International S1700 wrecker (if the IH had integrated A/C, rather than a Sears add-on under the dash, I'd rate them as equal). Also, with steel springs all around, the IH doesn't ride any rougher than the Ford, despite the 650's rear air suspension & much-longer wheelbase. The Ford has an air-ride seat, but it isn't much of one: the travel is much too short, leaving me with the choice of slamming down against the floor or slamming up against the lap belt. I prefer the IH's vinyl bench. At least it doesn't try to compress my spine on every expansion joint.

The C7 ACERT (3126?) is a total dog, barely able to hold highway speeds when empty, bordering on dangerously-underpowered when loaded. It's also much tougher to start cold than the IH's well-worn DT466.

I'd rather call up Vintage Air to retrofit an International than try to turn a sow's a** into a silk purse by tarting up a gutless F-650.

Edit: The C7 ACERT is absolutely pathetic. The 650 is as underpowered as the 1972 F-800 with a gas 361FT. It tops out about 10MPH faster (another driver swears the 650 will run 75 empty), but isn't any better than the 800 (governed at 67) otherwise. I'd rather have a 5.9 Cummins...at least getting more power out of that is easy.

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new GMC's look ..interesting. I do like the short turning radius, other then that it is just a Gay Mans Chevy. They are starting show up here in SOCAL. From the numbers an F-550 still looks like it has it matched in that range.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
kblackav8or said:

Any pics of that conversion?
None yet, all I have is one of a 466 in a 2WD 89 F350.

Attachments

• 466f350photo1.jpeg
    466f350photo1.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 466f350photo2.jpeg
    466f350photo2.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 466f350photo3.jpeg
    466f350photo3.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 466f350photo4.jpeg
    466f350photo4.jpeg
    14.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 466f350photo5.jpeg
    466f350photo5.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 7

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thing looks well...like ass but it probably tows great. What about the front axle? Seems like replacing an engine with one that weighs 400-500 lbs more is going to cause problems. The F-650 pickup guys run a Marmon Herrington. I imagine if you could find a military axle that had readily available gear ratios in lower numbers that might be an option. A Dana 80 front axle would be an option if they made one. I think the frame might be doomed with 800 or more foot pounds of torque. My real problem with my truck is tires and brakes. I haven't had a problem yet but with a 20k package, I am right at the limit. Actually if I max the trailer and have my camper on, that is over 21k. 7900 for the truck roughly, 3300 for the camper and 10k for the trailer. Sure a 7.3 can pull that around but a 250/350 doesn't have the brakes and tires to do it with much margin. The Class 6 trucks do and with something to spare.

The 2 engines -
444E dimensions L=35.7 in. x W=29.4 in. x H=36.6 Weight approx 1000

466E dimensions L=45.1 in x W=29.3 in x H=40.8 in Weight approx 1500

The delta there is 10" in length and 4 inches in height. 500 more pounds distributed differently.

I really would like to move up to a crew cab just for some more interior space. 8 feet of bed/frame is all I need.

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Those dimensions aren't exactly the ones to go by. Mainly the height, they measure from the bolt on the drain pan to the highest point on the valve cover. It's not as tall as you think. The length they use is from the bellhousing to the fan. To put in a pickup, the flywheel will be slightly under the cab. I measured my '94, and I took measurements off of it. I measured from the back of the head to the front of the water pump, and came up with 41". Also did from the oil pan mounting flange to the top of the valve cover, and got 29".

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The second one looks a lot closer to what you're looking for. The 7.8L Ford diesel is pretty tough, but at the 190 ratings, it's really turned-down and probably slow as molasses.

Be nice if you could find a Ford crewcab with a 5.9L. As long as you're not towing HUGE loads with it, you could turn that sucker up to 500HP and really have some fun.

The IH DT466 is a bigger tougher diesel than a 5.9L, but difficult to find aftermarket accessories to turn it up for more power. To do it properly and get BIG power results requires pulling the pump and having it sent out for work and customizing a turbo & injectors to match the pump. The one you see in the pulling video belongs to a guy who lives in PA that I've talked to several times. He had the motor pulled and sent out to be completely customized by a professional engine builder. You can get small power increases (10-70HP) by turning up your pump and messing with the gov springs & timing, as Dale has shown us, but you'll never turn up a DT466 like you can a 5.9L in your garage on your own or as cheaply.

I'm not sure if you're going to want to turn up your motor for say 350+ HP, but if you think you'll do it with a DT466 and a tight budget, forget it. You'll be much better off with a 5.9L in your application.

If you want to keep it conservative with minimal motor work, then I'd say a DT466 would be a better choice than a 5.9L

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online