stupid question

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd day of owning my first diesel. 89 F350 7.3 5spd 4x4 crew srw
And so far I have chopped of the stock exhuast in favor of 3" tubing and curious as to what muffler ( if a muffler) I should run. Also had the joys of replacing the broke in half Right side exhuast manifold, rear tank rubber section of the filler neck. Still lots to do, oil change and trans fluid change coming later today.

I replaced my air filter yesterday (it was so black and dirty it appeared to be getting disformed and sucking in). On the back of the housnig is a rubber breather? tube that was rotted apart. Really couldn't seem to find where it went.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my air filter yesterday (it was so black and dirty it appeared to be getting disformed and sucking in). On the back of the housnig is a rubber breather? tube that was rotted apart. Really couldn't seem to find where it went.
the rotted tube is the dust, dirt and small animal ejector. it's not supposed to go anywhere but down the backside of the trans.;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Welcome to OB, and another Michgander!:thumbsup:

I ran a Dynomax pro flo on the trucks before going turbo'ed. Good big block sound minus the higher rpm cackle.

There's a few brands out there that will work and to some it's more of a preferential thing. Any flow thru, non gasser, muffler will do ya good.

Good call on changing the filter, should help it breath easier.;Sweet

The rubber breather on the bottom back side of the filter is a water drain as these trucks are prone to getting water on top of the air cleaner as the hood seal deteriorates over time.

Sounds like ya got a handle on it. Can't wait to see some pics of the beast. Gotta bring it to the fall meet since ya live sooooo close.;Sweet

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

by flow thru you mean like I can pick it up and see through it right? I could care less about the sound, hell the 3" straight pipe right now sounds pretty damn good to me lol. Just want whats best for the motor/ and fuel mileage.

I have a 92 F250 351 e4od 4x4 std cab that I use to tow my trail rig. but i recently purchased a slide in camper for the pick-up box. Took a trip with it fully loaded and it did not like it at all. No power, couldn't pull hills unless in 2nd gear and damn near redlined. So I decided I needed a one ton diesel.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Sweet, another C/C bricknose.:thumbsup:

Yup, looking thru it.
They still have some sound deadener in the baffels but it won't restrict air flow since these motors like to breath. The less restrictions for the air ogoing in and out will make for better performance and economy.;Sweet

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
So then if I can live with the sound should I even worry about a muffler? And thanks for taking the time to answer my noob questions.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
So then if I can live with the sound should I even worry about a muffler? And thanks for taking the time to answer my noob questions.

They do get loud and obnoxious after awhile, but if ya like the sound, run with it.To each their own ;Sweet

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
the ZF in this 89 takes dexronIII right ? cause what came out doesn't look like dexron. Tag says "type H"

Last edited:

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a 3.5 inch straight pipe on my truck and i love the sound of it. nice and deep at low rpms and you get that nice cackle at the higher rpms

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So then if I can live with the sound should I even worry about a muffler?
On a diesel, the less restriction it has in the exhaust, the better. If you're okay with the sound of a straight pipe and don't have legal issues to worry about, by all means, keep it straight-piped. ;Sweet

By the way, welcome aboard!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Welcome. If You put a straight through muffler like a dinomax is just as good as a straight pipe but You won't go deaf after a long drive nor have a rock fall in Your head when You drive near a mountain. Dinomax will still be plenty loud.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would go one step further and recommend not only a flow through, but I would also use a welded muffler (if you choose to muffle it). I have a welded summit unit, was about $30 IIRC and it sounds really good. Nice tone through all RPM ranges, and it will make some noise when you want it too, but does not cackle. I can't stand the cackle though, hence my muffler choice.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's, I'll most likely look into a muffler per the wife's sake on long trips. Today I hope to get the rear brakes replaced and new brake lines run to the rear. As well as test the coolant and replace if need be.

but I did find my trans crossmember to be scary bad, had a huge crack along the drivers side where it makes the 90 degree bend.