stupid question

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
I can't believe how small thse rear brakes are I mean 12x3 drums....My 92 3/4 tons are much larger then that.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear brakes do practically nothing on these trucks running empty. They are mostly usefull for the parking brake. LOL

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Well regardless it got new shoes, hardware, wheel cyl's, axle seals, and new brake lines from the master to the axle hose then from the hose to the cyl's. Also changed the mud out of the diff and refilled with some gear oil lol.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
okay one more, I bought the truck and the dipstick tube was broken so was unable to check oil level. All my shop books say 10 quarts at oil change with replacement of filter. Drove the truck approx 250 miles after purchase, Then I drained all the old oil out and drained as much of the old filter as i could and came out with about 8.5-9 quarts. I put ten quarts back in. Drove 150 miles, got the dipstick installed and the stick reads I am 2 quarts low.

Last edited:

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
also is there suppose to be some type of bracket that helps support the dipstick tube further up. The old one was all bent and routed under the manifold. The new one would only fit if I snaked it between the block and the exhuast manifold which I would assume would have been the factory routeing.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe how small thse rear brakes are I mean 12x3 drums....My 92 3/4 tons are much larger then that.

12x3 drums is no small by any means, and they can stop the truck just fine on their own if you're running for the most part empty. If the '92 3/4 ton is a Ford too, then its rear brakes are no larger at all, actually they are just the same.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, the dip stick tube routes thru the exhaust manifold and there is a bracket the fits on the valve cover bolts. Look for it in a wrecking yard...

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Just drove around the lake ( I live near Gun Lake in Michigan) to get a for sale sign for the F250, on the way back my clutch pedal stayed on the floor. Lifted it back up with my foot, made a few more shifts, and now it doesn't work and the slave ****'d all its fluid out . Had to start it in 2nd and drive the last mile home at 15 mph. Atleast I was close to home and its an external slave cyl. Oh and it only costs me $30 for another one.

But I did manage to get the new muffler on it so just need to get a tail pipe bent for it, put a chrome stock rear bumper on it. Installed a class 5 hitch from a 04 Super Duty, replaced the rear shocks with some coil overs for the extra weight when I travel with the camper in the box and the truggy on the trailer.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just drove around the lake ( I live near Gun Lake in Michigan) to get a for sale sign for the F250, on the way back my clutch pedal stayed on the floor. Lifted it back up with my foot, made a few more shifts, and now it doesn't work and the slave ****'d all its fluid out . Had to start it in 2nd and drive the last mile home at 15 mph. Atleast I was close to home and its an external slave cyl. Oh and it only costs me $30 for another one.

But I did manage to get the new muffler on it so just need to get a tail pipe bent for it, put a chrome stock rear bumper on it. Installed a class 5 hitch from a 04 Super Duty, replaced the rear shocks with some coil overs for the extra weight when I travel with the camper in the box and the truggy on the trailer.

12x3 is a pretty good sized brake drum, the standard 8,000lb trailer axle only has 12x2 drums on it and it is rated for 8,000lbs, where the truck doesn't even weigh that much and it has front brakes as well. I think you are underestimating the size of the brakes. My trailer is a 16,000lb gvw trailer and it has 2 axles with 12x2 brake drums, and it will stop over 20,000lbs just fine.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Just seemed small considering I had just changed brakes on a 3/4 ton chevy and those were larger. Guess I expected the one ton fords to be larger then the 3/4 ton chevy's.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just drove around the lake ( I live near Gun Lake in Michigan)
I know exactly where Gun Lake is :D Do you know the Huisman family? They live very close to the lake, dad used to be a long-haul driver but now only runs short trips for I believe Schneider, don't think he ever brings the truck home tho... Good folks they are, I used to be classmates and co-workers with one of the daughters.

As for the brakes, I don't think the 14-bolt ones are any bigger that what our Sterlings use, which model year was the 3/4-ton you worked on?

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Nope don't know em..........LOTTA houses around the lake, I'm on the North East side about a mile away. Not as many houses on that side of the lake, mostly just state land.

I have state land on three of the four sides of my property.

The 14 bolt has 13x2.50..............I guess that extra inch makes them seem that much bigger, well atleast that is what my wife tells me :rotflmao

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're a bit further away from the lake than they are then, they ain't right at the water but like the second row. Which side of the lake - heck if I know, them roads there are so messed up there it ain't funny.

13x2.5 will actually give you less friction surface area of the pads so in that case larger ain't necessarily better... may wanna ask the wife about it too ;)

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
yeah the pretty much the other three sides of the lake are stupid crazy with all the tiny roads that weave in/out. I am on the corner of the lake the state park/campground is on, down the road from the shell gas station on Cheifnoonday (West M-179).