Stuck injector

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
hey guys i have a problem i have two injectors that are stuck and i cant get them loose at all. One of them i have all the way loosened up but it wont come out. The problem is it wont thread back in either? The other one just wont budge even an 8th of a turn or anything and i have been soaking them in pb blaster for the last three days. I need to know what i can do to get these out cuz i cant drive it the way it is now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the only thing left to do is add some heat. Finish what you are doing with the other injectors. Then run the engine till its warmed up. With all the heat in the head you will be able to remove the stuck injectors. The PB Blaster will work into the threads because of the heat. Are you using a deep socket to remove the injectors or something else. Are the injector bores filled with carbon...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
For the injector that gets stuck @ the top grab a pair of channel locks and twist and pull on the injector. that is what i had to do to get one of my injectors out. You will be amazed w/ the amt. of carbon that builds up down in those injector bores.

Last edited:

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
yea im using a socket to remove and install them. Most of the injector bores had some carbon in them but they came out after only soaking for a day. if i run the motor with that injector loose wouldnt i have a chance of shooting it right out of the motor cuz that prolly wouldnt be good.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I am not sure about the injector shooting out. I guess it is a possibility. but if that injector is in there loose then you will have fuel spraying all over the place. that doesn't matter though in the long run if you can get that injector out.

Good luck!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do not run the engine with a loose injector. The compression will blow it out like a bullet. Place a piece of wood and some rags over the loose stuck injector. Crank the engine over but don't start it. Pull the shutoff solenoid wire on the injection pump. Post back what happens. Be sure to stand clear of the loose injector. $50 to 500 lbs of cranking pressure will move it. Have the injection pump bolted in also. Don't crank the engine without the pump bolted to the gear.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is important to get a clarification here. Is the entire injector stuck, or did you unscrew the body from the nozzle, and now only the nozzle is stuck? If the entire injector is stuck, your just not turning it hard enough. :dunno

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
It turns freely in the bore but all of the threads are out of the head. It just seems like the nozzle is stuck in the hole, but the body wont separate from the nozzle otherwise i would grind the threads on the body and use a slide hammer. Thanks for clarifying gary i thought it would be bad to try and run it like that. So i will pull the fuel shutoff solenoid and crank it over a few times and hope it pops out. Then you said to finish the rest of the injectors and run the truck till its warm. That should make that one thats stuck completely move if i understood you right.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The common fix for this is to just unscrew the body from the nozzle, grind of all the threads on the body, and screw it back into the nozzle, turning it clockwise further to break the nozzle free. Sounds like your nozzle is rotating which is why it won't seperate. That's a good thing, but somewhere there is a ledge that has a hold of it. A slide hammer, if you could rig one up, would probably do the trick.

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
Thanks Mel i will see if i can locate one in around here. It doesnt help im doing this in my dorm room parking lot and dont have everything im used to.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mike... I am refering to the injector that wont turn in the head as the one thats stuck... Can't loosen it up... When all the other injectors are replaced and you still have the one that wont turn in the head just warm up the engine. then try to loosen it. All the penatrating oil used on it will crep down the threads and loosen it up..

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
Thanks Gary i just got that one out by doing what you told me my roommate had a slide hammer thank god for the other stuck one. So they are all replaced and she seems to run smoother now. It still has the white smoke at higher rpms. Im thinking its a worn injection pump. I have a new one here but i dont know if im comfortable doing it in the parking lot. So will it get me back over the mountains so i can work in a garage in about a month. When this semester is over. O and the drive over the mountains has quite a few steep grades i will be going over Vail pass on I-70.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Run some fuel treatment like many members here run. Howes, statadyne are a couple that work great. even a quart of automatic tran fluid in a tank full of fuel will clean up a pump thts not working up to par.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle