Strange noises

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
Hello guys,

This is my first post to this forum, or any forum for that matter. I have been eavesdropping for some time and really enjoy reading all the dialog.

I pull a 30’ travel trailer in North Carolina, so some mountain pulling and some flatland pulling. I seem to get a lot of air noise from the turbo when under load, a loud whooshing or fluttering sound which basically sounds like air leaving the compressor the wrong way. How harmful is this to the turbo and will the compressor wheel and larger turbine housing offered by Banks correct this problem? I am also experiencing another noise which I cannot easily describe. This also only happens when towing and basically sounds like the engine is turning more RPMs than it really is, even when not under power and braking. Mine is automatic and a downshift usually eliminates the sound but I would like to know what is causing it. I have 49k miles and have not experienced any slippage or anything out of the ordinary with the trans. Thoughts?

I have some other questions about different power options; I will get to those another time.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
For starters, from one North Carolinian to another...WELCOME to Oilburners :cheers:

Now on to your questions....

How long have you had the aftermarket air filter on?
Have you towed with it before you noticed the sounds?
Have you ever had a "flat spot" when accelerating and a noticed difference in exh sound?....some have had problems with the exh back press valve closing...a simple wire disconnect will eliminate that possibility.

Sometimes if the air is crisp and you have the window cracked, it can sound like a flutter.....just from the wind passing the mirror.

Some have experienced true turbo flutter in the stooper doopys, sadly I'm not familiar with it:confused: :sorry:

Is the Banks exh complete from downpipe back?

Others with more exp in your model year will chime in;Sweet

My OBS is loud from the open 4" exh but I can still hear the turbo sing after about 9 psi :D

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
I have had the aftermarket air filter since the truck was basically new and have always noticed some turbo air noise. It has been much more pronounced since I have been towing the TT which I have only had since Sept. The sound I hear is not the cool whine of the turbo spooling up, it is a whooshing, fluttering, sound that occurs when you let off the gas or are reducing throttle input.

The exhaust is Banks from the turbo back, the remnants of a “Stinger-Plus” system I installed when the truck had only 15K miles on the clock. I broke the turbo about 6 months after I installed the kit. I was attempting to get the turbo replaced under warranty and was unable to, but during the process I lost the larger turbine housing and compressor wheel to the core. I was not able to get that resolved with the dealership before I moved to NC. The thing is that I never noticed the air noise with the banks stuff on the turbo to the extent that I do without it.

The electronics that came with the Banks kit were less than optimal. It did not make near the power nor shift as well with the Banks electronics as it did with the SuperChips tuner installed. I broke the turbo with the Banks turbo mods and the SuperChips electronics, but it ran like a ***** ape. Now that I am towing, would it be beneficial for me to re-install the Banks turbine housing and compressor wheel, if I am watching the EGT more closely?

I know this is long, I am sorry. But there is a story behind this and maybe someone will get a chuckle at my expense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel