strang sound

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My work truck started making some strange sounds. I can only say that it sounded like a very high pitched noise....almost like fingernails on chalkboard. It still ran great 36K and it's never been to the shop till now. I couldn't stand to have it puke on me in God knows where.

The Ford tech said that it had no codes at all. Runs great....yes, I know that. Later calls and said the turbo impeller has too much play and that must be the problem. Impeller rubbing against the housing.

Replaced the turbo and still has the noise. So now it's been a few days and I need my truck back badly. So I call and tell them to button it back up and I'm going to come and pick it up. They say that they have it fixed???? I ask what was the problem, and they were very unspecific and say that they made some electrical changes to the ECM which made me very nervous because it was running so good. So to make a long story longer, drove the truck today about 600mi and it did not make the noise at all, had ok power, but I'm still nervous because the dealer wants me to call them in a few days to let them know if the sound comes back because they have another truck thats doing the same thing. I guess I'm their guinnea pig.

Ran fine today.....I guess I shouldn't complain. Just seems odd.