STEERING STABILIZER?? NEED SOME ASSISTANCE

7.3 Sloth

Reaction score
Hey fellas so just wana see if anyone has a good stabilizer or dual stabilizer on their truck. I have a 1988 F350 crewcab and i dont even have one on there now. I put my buddies 36s on to pull and i have the worst death wobble in America. I have yet to find a side by side setup for the stabilizer on the front axle so if anyone knows of a good one or brand Id appreciate the input. Thanks

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck 2wd or 4wd? gotta know cause it makes a difference.

If 4x

Could be worn suspension components, the dampner is NOT and end all cure all for death wobble, cure the problem not the symptom.

Worn track bar bushings, worn spring bushings, is it lifted or stock? Caster can play an large part King pins? check caster angle and wear of king pins..

How are the TRE's

As for 2x again worn radius arm bushings and worn I beam bushings can play havock, same TRE's here too???

Bent rims or poorly balanced tyres can make an impact on death wobble too.

As suggested, cure the problem causing the issue DO NOT mask the symptom.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had severe death wobble on my 93 after a new tire install. It was suggested by the local "4x4" shop to slap on a steering stabilizer and it would fix it. Instead took it home and replaced all ball joints, tre, drag link, and Trac bar bushings and now have zero death wobble. A steering stabilizer will mask your problem but not fix it.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a dual stabilizer kit for my bronco from broncograveyard.com
They have 3/4 and 1 ton parts also.

I liked it the most because it put a stabilizer on each side instead of 2 on one side

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember those steering stabilizers that were self centering using coil springs? Are they still available?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
First make sure nothing is worn and everything is tight. Trac bar bushings every year or two is not ridiculous. Worn king pins (typically uppper bushing) or weak spring can cause it, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, tire balance, etc... Alignment as well. After everything else is 100% you probably won't have death wobble anymore. I still run a stabilizer but my truck won't DW without it... Though rarely at the right speed over the right type of bump or pothole it'll shimmy just a hair for a second like it wants to DW, but never gets set off. The stabilizer prevents even that. I consider it cheap insurance for a properly set up truck, but it is not a fix for a truck that wobbles if you give it a dirty look. The bigger the tire the easier it'll want to DW, but 36" shouldn't be setting it off real easy unless they're out of balance or you have other issues.