Steering box shaft seal....

noddaz

Reaction score
Ok, the steering box shaft seal is leaking all over the place. (And what a mess it makes... :shocked:)
To replace this do I remove the pitman arm, remove lower snap ring, remove 4 nuts on top cover, remove shaft replace seal and reverse to assemble?
Or do I remove pitman arm and snap ring and fight the seal out past the shaft...?
Thanks,

Noddaz

sassyrel

Reaction score
well, may be late now. nut,pitman arm,snap ring. then start truck, and jamb the wheel to the left or right,repeatably, with someone watching. when the seal blows out the bottom,yeehah!!! then remove the shaft from the top of box to get the new seal in, and clean the rust out of the place where the seal rides. grease that area when clean, drop shafty back in, then push the new seal up as far as can by hand, then tap the rest of the way in with a good pin punch, going around the seal till seated--. then snap ring back, arm and nut--and tighten it real tight, yet dont strip the nut--

noddaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. But the job is done. After removing the pitman arm and snap ring I took off the top cover and removed the sector shaft. Carefully drove the seal out.
Carefully drove new seal in. Lubed edge of seal, re-installed sector shaft and cover.
Installed snap ring and pitman arm.
Filled with fluid, jacked up nose of truck to take weight off wheels. started engine worked wheels back and forth and topped off P/S tank. Good to go.

sassyrel

Reaction score
keep eye on fluid level--bubbles disappear--add more fluid-----