Steering gearbox

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know up to a 96 will be a direct replacement. Is there a newer gearbox that will bolt to the frame and column and only require a pitman arm change? If so what combination? I will also look at ford based motor homes at salvage yard as they should have a lot lower mileage. Another option is rebuild mine with new input and output shafts. Any area where to buy the parts? Trying to look at all my options. If I go with red or blue top I will also be about the core as mine does not appear to be OEM.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The one I got from AutoZone in '21 has been good. No slop, as some people report from rebuilt units.

RockAuto sells rebuild kits with seals and bearings.

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with the playin the rebuild units won’t be solved by bearings and seals. The actual gears are worn.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a used box that had a easy life, get one from a ranger pickup. Yes, they are the exact same box. Steering that little truck around is a lot easier than a full size f250/350 pickup. There may be a cut-off year, but I am sure 96 down ranger will have the same box.

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Will also be easier to find. The salvage yard I go to has a ton of rangers

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If you are looking for a used box that had a easy life, get one from a ranger pickup. Yes, they are the exact same box. Steering that little truck around is a lot easier than a full size f250/350 pickup. There may be a cut-off year, but I am sure 96 down ranger will have the same box.

Yep I put one from a 94ish Ranger in my F250 in 2017 that was leaking. It was just as worn out slop wise, but at least it didn't leak constantly. you do have to swap the pitman arm, of course.

You must be registered for see images attach

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I was talking to blind ambition where he said he was trying to adapt one off a super duty

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to get my front axle sorted out before I swap it over. 2005+ steering gear is a bolt on swap if you're doing an axle swap. Might need to modify pitman arm if you're not doing axle swap. May require a bit of hose work, I can tell you when I'm done.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was checking PNP price on a Steering Box.
551 Steering Box W/Pitman Arm Car $50.99 Core $9.99
There is the Enviromental fee plus Tax. Usually Tax and
enviro are close to the same price.

Probably looking at $80 or so. + -.

Goat

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pro charges $50. It is in a 96 f150. Looks real clean.

Attachments

• Photo - Google Photos.png
    Photo - Google Photos.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the truth in this, but I heard that the "blue top" was supposed to be better. Supposedly the blue top is built by a group of people from red head after some sort of dispute. Zero confirmation on any of this information.

James

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the truth in this, but I heard that the "blue top" was supposed to be better. Supposedly the blue top is built by a group of people from red head after some sort of dispute. Zero confirmation on any of this information.

James

That is what I had heard as well. It's also possible we both read it from the same place and we're both wrong so idk LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online