Steel vs rubber fuel lines

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Im fixing a fuel leak in my truck. The steel fuel lines have sprung a leak. Im thinking I like Gary's idea of replacing them with rubber. Is there a special rubber fuel line that I should use? I seem to remember that you shouldn't use regular gas fuel line for some reason.

John

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are refering to an injector line, I have no idea what hose to use - those lines would need to be rated for more than 2000 psi.

If you are talking about the low pressure lines from the tank to the injection pump, I am using Gates Barricade carburetion hose. The Barricade carburetion line of hose is rated for 50 psi working pressure with DIESEL, BIODIESEL, gasoline, ethanol, gas/eth blends including E85, and 100% methanol. Temp rated with diesel/biodiesel for -40 F to 212 F.
The Gates Barricade fuel injection hose is similar to the carburetion hose but is rated for 225 psi working pressure.
Regular gas hose will work, but diesel and especially biodiesel will eat it much quicker than the Barricade hose.

At my local parts store, regular Gates gas hose 3/8" costs ~ $1.25 per foot. The Gates Barricade carburetion hose in 3/8" costs about $1.90 per foot. Not much difference for a much better hose. The fuel injection hose jumps to about $4 to 5 per foot.

The Barricade hose is also CARB approved.

The Gates part numbers for the carburetion hose on a 25' spool pack (what most parts stores around here keep on the shelf and sell be the foot) are:

3/16" 27312
1/4" 27313
5/16" 27314
3/8" 27315
1/2" 27316

http://www.gates.com/downloads/BarricadeBrochure.pdf

Hope this helps,
Ronnie

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Ronnie, thanks for your input. The steel line thats leaking is from the rear tank to the selector valve. I will look for the Gates Barricade. Thanks again.

John

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see an issue with using rubber lines for most of these fuel systems...except the injection lines of course.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
due to safety. you shouldn't use rubber fuel hose where steel line was. you would be better off if you used steel line.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john-
i have oem nylon lines in my trucks. rubber isn't that big of an issue with our trucks. our fuel is combustible not flammable.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My rig is an 89 and the lines are plastic along the frame rails but steel across the engine cross member. Then rubber to the lift pump location.