speeds while towing

built4tq1

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what some of the members speeds are while pulling trailers up say 6% + grades. Include trailer weight,gears,boosted or n/a,egt's ect. The rest i can pick from your signature. Would like to here from ICANFIXALL (Gary) HESUTTON (Heath) and other members with a mild build. Iv'e got a line on a 1st gen cummins and i must say I'm not in hurry to pull my trailer most places with my 7.3 idi but sometime hell id at least like to do highway speeds. So I guess what im getting at is to here from some members with a better setup than i so i may perhaps justify stayin with the binder and maybe add some mister's a moose pump and get rid of my h1c cummins turbo and go with an hx35. I know this may sound like a loaded question to some however I'm leaning towards the 5.9. Thanks;Sweet

Black dawg

Reaction score
6-6.5% if I hit it at 70 at the bottom I can hold 65-70 till the first (2-3? miles) corner. On the next long straight toward the top of the pass I can get back up into D, but cant hold OD. This is at 15k+. This is at 10-11psi max and 1200max. We wont talk about coolant temp. 4.11 gear and 235/85-16

That is running it all out, it will pull this hill at 45 without working too hard.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just towed a 7K lb. trailer about a thousand miles. On one pass in eastern Oregon that's about 5 miles long and an 8% grade (heading east on I-84 going into the Blue Mountains, also known as Cabbage Hill, just east of Pendleton), I managed a whopping 25 mph. For the entire five mile grade. :mad:

My truck wasn't timed properly, however. That is something I still need to do.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1993 stock 7.3 IDI / 4.10 / E4OD towing a 7,000 lb. travel trailer will do 80 on flat ground with no headwind. Grades are another story; usually about 40-45. The grade west of Buffalo Wyoming, maybe 25mph.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I just towed a 7K lb. trailer about a thousand miles. On one pass in eastern Oregon that's about 5 miles long and an 8% grade (heading east on I-84 going into the Blue Mountains, also known as Cabbage Hill, just east of Pendleton), I managed a whopping 25 mph. For the entire five mile grade. :mad:

In October, I pulled Cabage Hill on I-84 with a 6,500 lb 16' flatbed. I got down to 29mph for a spell near the top. I was hoping to atleast keep 30 mph goin up it, but the corners are a killer on that hill. My father with a stock '02 crew cab Duramax pulled that hill at will with a 20 foot 12,500 lb cargo trailer, literally could've ran circles around me.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Pulling about 7500 lbs up a 6-8% grade my '86 CC will only do about 40-45 mph. Any faster and the EGTs get too high. I am hoping to put a **** injection on and see how much it drops the EGTs- there is plenty of pedal left, just not willing to melt a piston!

An intercooler would help also...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
size of the trailer you are pulling effects it as much if not more than the weight. Strap a flatbed trailer with cement blocks for a total weight of 12000lbs will pull much easier than a 10k lbs travel trailer or 5th wheel camper.... The wind that the camper grabs is a killer.... trust me... I pulled a 30ft 5ver that you could stand up in the bed room with my 5.9 cummins and she wouldn't lose speed on the hills (highly modded) but doing the same with a flatbed trailer with a truck on it she didn't break a sweat at all - felt lighter. Now I pulled a 30 ft 5ver with my current ride (7.3 IDI NA E4OD) and if she even heard the word hill we lose speed.... Heck overpasses make me cringe....

Pulled with E1 (water injection, turbo, hot pump - correct timing - E4OD) a 31 ft travel trailer (she was tall one - almost as tall as most 5vers) and she would lose speed on the grades - hit a 6% at 70 at the bottom and held foot to floor and topped at around 50ish if memory serves - I was trying to overheat her at the time as I had a custom rad made and wanted to see if we got the water temp problem solved - which I did... but pulling same trailer with the 5.9 Cummins on the same mountain grade was child's play.... I actually gained speed going up that grade.... Had to back out because we were approaching triple digits speeds.... Oh and that trip with the Cummins I stopped at the bottom of the mountain grade just so that I could play..... sorry.... but If I was posed with the question of pulling with a IDI or Cummins... I would pick the Cummins any day of the week - the tq numbers are better.... Yes I love my IDI and I always will but if performance is what you are after and towing at highway speeds even up mountain grades is something you are looking for then an IDI is not going to get you what you want. But the IDI will get you to the destination and back - yes a little slower but HECK you're on vacation - ENJOY THE RIDE! So you spend a little more time on the road (maybe an hour extra from here to Florida).....

Titojeep

Reaction score
My stock 93 F350 CC DW 4.10, E40D, and 222K will pull 40 - 45 with 5-7K like Greenie listed above in a 5-6% grade, however on flat highway I'll stay at 62-65 (2100-2300rpm) since these trucks were built and geared when the national hwy speed was 55. I do have a question for Greenie, at 80mph does your cooling fan clutch come on and off frequently? I ask because I notice mine roaring up from time to time as the temp goes up maybe more often than I think? My thought is that since it's designed to tow up to 12,5K why would it be going up and down so often (temperature wise) with only half a load at 65mph?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Grossing a bit over 18k with my 5er I can keep up with the big trucks, pass a few of them, get passed by some of the lighter ones, what more can you ask for? If I'm pulling my enclosed gooseneck carhauler, it weighs more loaded, but it has a wedge front and is lower and it pulls easier.
Get it in shape and your IDI will pull whatever you need it to
On a recent trip, I came up over a 10000 ft pass in the rockies into Leadville CO that is scary steep and I ran up that thing at 25mph, which is as fast as the curves are marked anyway. I couldn't ask it to do anything more.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
loaded down like this:

14,060lbs total weight.
You must be registered for see images attach

I pulled 6-8% grades in 5th gear effortlessly holding 65mph. When I went WOT just to see how fast I could get it up hills like that, I was able to get up into the 85mph range, EGT's still under 1200*.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Motorhome in my sig, 6% grade will go up in 2nd gear (C6) at around 40-45mph.

Water temp never gets higher than 210* on my real gauge. Never did get hotter than that on any hill i've been on!

EGT's I have no idea, no gauge (yet) but I always keep my foot on the pedal just before seing any ********* smoke, just enough to see a light little haze of clear black, telling me I have full power, and not melting anything down. My EGT gauge has been my right side mirror for a while lol.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what some of the members speeds are while pulling trailers up say 6% + grades. Include trailer weight,gears,boosted or n/a,egt's ect. The rest i can pick from your signature. Would like to here from ICANFIXALL (Gary) HESUTTON (Heath) and other members with a mild build. Iv'e got a line on a 1st gen cummins and i must say I'm not in hurry to pull my trailer most places with my 7.3 idi but sometime hell id at least like to do highway speeds. So I guess what im getting at is to here from some members with a better setup than i so i may perhaps justify stayin with the binder and maybe add some mister's a moose pump and get rid of my h1c cummins turbo and go with an hx35. I know this may sound like a loaded question to some however I'm leaning towards the 5.9. Thanks;Sweet
I own a cummins with a H1C and the performance is underwhelming at best.
I also own a cummins with a HX35.......yeeee hhhhaaaawwwww now we're talking;Sweet
it's amazing how one item with tuning makes a night and day difference for a vehicle.