speeds while towing

DragRag

Reaction score
32000??? was that a typo or were you hooked up to a goosneck triple wedge or something ? I thought 22k was a load, :eek:

Towcat 3.55 gears, not real happy with them now that I do a lot of towing with this truck. I like the 3.55 for mpg's, but if you do a lot of towing go 4.10 for sure.

Not a typo there, three axle trailer total length about 32 feet, steel flat bed. Loaded with a 55hp new Holland loader/scraper and a big rider ditch witch trencher with back hoe attached. Ya that was a fun one, I really wondered which way I should take with that load. I opted for the less patrolled route. I don't plan on making that kind of load again, especially since the weight on the truck went up about another 1000lbs recently on the bed. I am installing Firestone airbags on it though this week from my parts truck, yee haw. Getting it going out of the hole is tough with that kind of weight on it, even with the 5 speed. A low first gear would compensate for the lack of gears outback, tough ***** I guess.

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I used to think a moose pump and an intercooler was what I needed to pull a combined 15000 lbs up a 6% grade a highway speeds. After reading this I guess I'm wrong? Someone talk me out of the cummins conversion quick! I've owned both and gotta say I love the cummins! However I LOVE my current truck but want to keep it all Ford if I can. However, I don't think it's too much to ask for to do the speed limit while towing a combined 15000lbs up a 6% grade without overheating!!! Got the money to go either way, just need convincing to stay IDI!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes