Sources for parts

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this has been happening more and more lately.
I quote a job of any type, then the person asks me where I get my stuff from and /or where should i look for parts.
Presumably to do it themselves or because they are cheap.

I am not compelled to give up my sources I have spent countless hours and years researching.

Or to put it another way, call Coca Cola and ask for the recipe.

That is all.

Mods ,move this if needed.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fully agree. Been on both sides of that fence, but if you don't want to give up your sources that is your prerogative. Been where I didn't have the resources to pay the labor part of the bill, but that is my problem. I should have to do the leg work and form the relationships myself.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I occasionally ask to make sure or request that I get domestically-sourced parts and not inferior overseas-made ones. If I’ve already made the trip to a shop for a quote, they’re going to get my business and I want to make sure I’m getting quality parts installed.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve run into this issue as well, usually if I get a hunch someone is going to take my work and run with it I won’t give them much help. But if it’s someone who is in a pinch and can’t afford to pay someone to fix their truck and they are trying to fix it themselves I will call up some of my sources and try and give them a good deal to help them out.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that a lot too. Had one lady asked me for a price on a radiator then she asked me where I get it from. I really like the Facebook mechanics that advertise an ac recharge with a can full of stop leak for some stupid low price and tell people that shops with a $4000 ac machine are a rip off.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having worked with gov't procurement for years and having to follow their rules, I have developed a menu to balance out for my time and how much or how little support the customer wants.
Here's my boilerplate for non-gov't customers. I don't have too many of these people left due to closing my shop to the general public and concerntrating to small and medium private and gov't fleets.

"
Now for the boilerplate. After doing this for 30 years, I have gained some insight on how to keep everyone reasonably happy.
How do I handle warranties? At minimum, any warranty claim must be handled by my shop. I do not reimburse for any work done at another shop. If towing is required, please contact me first, I do not pay out for towing not authorized by me. Warranty only covers workmanship. Warranty period is for 90 days. Warranty does not cover labor due to defective parts. That is between you and the parts seller.
Also, due to the fact I am willing to install customer supplied parts, I will reserve the right to refuse to install parts I deem unsafe or questionable. I will always suggest OEM new or comparable parts for all work done.
Any questions? Please ask ahead of time.
thank you for allowing me the privilege to work up the quote for you.
call me if you have any questions."

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find myself like @Mulochico. I would love to hand more money to those like @typ4 and someday when I have it, so it will be spent. I just hope there is enough to keep the small independents going until I get to support them financially. Otherwise I don't know how I can keep an old vehicle alive if those who know them fade away.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of my things are priced fairly with pretty low labor involved.
Believe me this is not a high profit market.
If it was I would do it full time.
And if you find it cheap online, it's likely made offshore.
And my pump guy said stanadyne may be selling out to an offshore country.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sad news about Stanadyne might be selling out.We will just fall on that grenade when it happens I guess.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it seems they are just doing common rail stuff in China.
Stanadyne opens R&D center in Suzhou, China

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I'd like to see more domestic manufacturing, we lost that battle long ago. China takes the worlds best ideas and makes them cheaper. Japan takes the worlds best ideas and makes them better...and even they outsource to China when cost is a factor.

I don't even blame Asia for doing this. We did it to ourselves.

Its not all bad news though. Prices from online Chinese wholesalers have crept up in the last 5 years so it is still possible to compete.