Source for new injector nozzles?

danda

Reaction score
In my experience I wouldnt lap a new nozzle,
yeah, I wasn't thinking to lap a new nozzle, but rather old ones that are leaky. I just don't know how to actually do it, and wondering if you or anyone here has done it and can share about the experience.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
The Ford manual discusses this procedure, someone (I think TNBrett) posted some parts of the manual and that part was in it. Let me see if I can find the link.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ok dug a little and here you go. I have not tried myself but have thought I might one day. So let us know what happens if you do.

Go to section 9 page 33 (Try starting at page 218) and read the next few pages that discuss injectors as a whole. Lapping is discussed there.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that manual, got it off e-bay a while back in paper version. Here is one listed.

It is also listed on a CD

here is a used paper copy that`s cheaper

Goat

danda

Reaction score
thx for the manual link. I took a look and it talks about lapping using a (flat) wetstone and then a dry stone. I'm having great difficulty understanding how this works. Because when I think of lapping an engine valve for example, you put the lapping compound on the valve and then twist the valve rapidly against the mating surface in the head. So the two surfaces polish against eachother and become "best friends". It seems to me that we have the same situation going on with the injector nozzle valve and nozzle body, where they need to become best friends. And the valve is round and conical. So how one can accomplish this with a flat stone is beyond me. I guess I would need to see a demonstration of someone actually doing it.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Seemed overly complicated to me. Figured I would just buy those parts and use the rest of the injector. I was not able to find just those parts online and put that project on hold.

Black dawg

Reaction score
yeah, I wasn't thinking to lap a new nozzle, but rather old ones that are leaky. I just don't know how to actually do it, and wondering if you or anyone here has done it and can share about the experience.
I have done it with well used nozzles, using fine lapping compound on the end of the pintle being carefull not to get it on the sides. Takes almost nothing to get the pintle stuck in the nozzle if stuff gets in between
Never really found it to be worth the work, unless it was just one injector that had not sealed good and got carbon in the seat.

busman1978

Reaction score
R&D IDI Performance sells new injectors. You just have to call when he has stock. A rebuilt pump and all-new stock injectors brought my 89 F-Super Duty back from the dead.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OP was looking for nozzles to rebuild old injectors, like R&D IDI Performance does.
I believe new injectors are as rare as hen's teeth any more.

danda

Reaction score
Want new Fuel Injectors?
no. this thread is about buying new *nozzles*.

In other words, just the tips of the injectors that actually wear. With a source of new nozzles and a pop tester, one could rebuild old injectors easily.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no. this thread is about buying new *nozzles*.

In other words, just the tips of the injectors that actually wear. With a source of new nozzles and a pop tester, one could rebuild old injectors easily.

YES I know. but Brian VT said:
"I believe new injectors are as rare as hen's teeth any more."

I did a quick search to see what is out there and came across what I posted.
I see now Brian posted out of stock, so he is right and again I am wrong. I apologize for butting in.

Goat