So what did you do with your truck today?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Hey @Jesus Freak , so I got another filter to replace my existing one and also figured to verify if my filter head has the 1/4" hole like you said yours had before you drilled it larger. To be honest, I can't see a point in drilling any larger since the hole in the rubber at the center of the filter is only about 1/8" diameter. Unless I'm missing something. :dunno
True, but I'd probably widdle that hole bigger too. I don't remember a thingy like that in my last filter. I got to get another one sometimes soon, if no one chimes in with a reason not to make that hole bigger and the filter I get has that tiny hole, I'll make it a bigger hole. But that's just me.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but I'd probably widdle that hole bigger too. I don't remember a thingy like that in my last filter. I got to get another one sometimes soon, if no one chimes in with a reason not to make that hole bigger and the filter I get has that tiny hole, I'll make it a bigger hole. But that's just me.
Yeah, I'm curious to hear some other "been there, done that" stories before I drill anything out. All I keep thinking is some joker who's potentially smarter than me designed these filters that way for a reason. I plumbed my filter into the inlet and outlet lines to the heater core using tee fittings because I read it somewhere (possibly in instructions that came with the filter head) and that also concerned me that it didn't force all the coolant through the filter. Kinda like it gave it a choice for a path of least resistance. Maybe I'm just overthinking it. I'm going to carve open the old filter just to see how much schmutz it trapped.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most engineers won't win any personality contests but in general we do know what we're doing...
Years ago I was in school to be an engineer... that was until I made the mistake of taking two math courses during one semester. I thought my head was going to explode. I decided that maybe I'll just stay a dumb electrician instead. I'm already equipped with rugged good looks and a charming personality.... humble too. :rotflmao

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but in general we do know what we're doing...
I will agree with you in theory and design....the problem is the ones that muck with your design to make it more profitable...and the other problem I have is with the ones in charge of the packaging...

Now THOSE are the little basturds that I would all like to line up and give them all a general-purposes bit(h-slap....them is the perps that make it difficult to work on things without having to constantly buy new tools and also have to visit the chiropractor on a regular basis...

There...I said it...

That had to be worth more than just .02...I give it a $ .045...

Oh...and the hominids that suppose everything needs to go through a wind tunnel and look all the same...them, too....

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK....we have it working good, now let`s see if we can make it next to impossible to work on.

Goat
That's German engineers. I've been driving and working on my BMWs and Mercedes since 1988 and that absolutely seems to be a core tenet of their design philosophy...

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engineers work for the OEM, not the service center. If it makes sense (cents) to do something that saves 2 minutes of assembly time on the line, but adds 2 hours to the service time, they (we) will do it every single time.

That said, I had fun this weekend. Walked out of the house Saturday morning, hopped in the truck to head up to the shop, and cranked it over. Crank over it sure did, but would not fire. Cycled the glow plugs a couple of times, tried cranking again, nothing. Not even a puff of smoke. So I start cussing about the */$%^&* glow plugs, but in the back of my mind I am thinking, "It's 48 degs out, it should have at least tried to fire up". Grab the can of ether, pop the hood, and get out to give it a squirt. Opened the hood to find a big fat grey squirrel sitting behind the passenger battery, staring back at me. Chase the little ******* off, and see he has been using the wiring harness as a dental hygiene tool. He cut the fuel solenoid wire, hence why the truck wouldn't start, along with about a half dozen more. Spent Saturday afternoon soldiering stuff back together again. A pellet gun is getting purchased this evening....

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 22 Bird Shot to shoot the Squirrels.
It`s good for maybe 15 ft.
Getting too many people out here for 22 hollow point.
410 or 20 gauge work good, just make sure the car trailer or something else isn`t part of the back drop....
We throw out Bird Seed for the critters and of course it brings in the Squirrels. They vacuum up the seed. Usually shoot about 35 of them ea year.

Have the kangaroo Rat`s out here, in one month a couple years ago shot 61 running around in the yard.

I open up the kitchen Window, and stelthly sneek up, and when it`s front end is looking at me, shoot him between the eyes.
They are pretty skitish, detect any movement and they are gone.

Have more problems with the Mice out here. They chew up the wires and Hood Pad, and get into the cars and create a mess.
This winter so far think we have caught 40 or more of the damned things, between the garage and getting in the house, and probably 25 out in the shop. The #`s have slowed down quite a bit.

These Victor traps work good, nice thing is ya pull back on the bale/handle and give it a flip and the Mouse goes flying out in the Sage brush. Don`t have to touch the critter.
Where the catch is below the red "V", I whittle the plastic back a bit to make it a hare trigger.
Be careful not to cut too much off. Some of the smaller mice won`t set it off.
they make these in the Rat traps also.
I have adjusted these also so the Mice set them off.
Caught a Snake in one, sure pizzed him off.

This is the best price I have seen on these. Just bought 4.....IE 16.

Goat

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engineers work for the OEM, not the service center. If it makes sense (cents) to do something that saves 2 minutes of assembly time on the line, but adds 2 hours to the service time, they (we) will do it every single time.

That said, I had fun this weekend. Walked out of the house Saturday morning, hopped in the truck to head up to the shop, and cranked it over. Crank over it sure did, but would not fire. Cycled the glow plugs a couple of times, tried cranking again, nothing. Not even a puff of smoke. So I start cussing about the */$%^&* glow plugs, but in the back of my mind I am thinking, "It's 48 degs out, it should have at least tried to fire up". Grab the can of ether, pop the hood, and get out to give it a squirt. Opened the hood to find a big fat grey squirrel sitting behind the passenger battery, staring back at me. Chase the little ******* off, and see he has been using the wiring harness as a dental hygiene tool. He cut the fuel solenoid wire, hence why the truck wouldn't start, along with about a half dozen more. Spent Saturday afternoon soldiering stuff back together again. A pellet gun is getting purchased this evening....
Dang! That sucks! My 16yr old is the squirrel slayer around here. He's got o decent break barrel pellet rifle. We decided that one with a cocking mechanism under the barrel would be better, but the break barrel is very accurate for 6-8 shots before you have to resight it. The cats also kill squirrels, but they specialize in mice and rats. We did have a female cat years ago named "Baby Daniel", she's almost legendary, but she would chase squirrels at full speed to the top of trees. We've seen her at the very top of 60-70ft pine trees in much distress because she had over done it. That was 11-12yrs ago that she disappeared on us, but we still have cats that we can trace back to her. We call it "the baby Daniel line", like it's a big deal to someone other than us.

Good luck getting rid of them, @FrozenMerc . And remember!, squirrels aren't cute, they're rats with hair on their tails....... that's all they are RATS WITH HAIR ON THEIR TAILS.......

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 22 Bird Shot to shoot the Squirrels.
It`s good for maybe 15 ft.
Getting too many people out here for 22 hollow point.
410 or 20 gauge work good, just make sure the car trailer or something else isn`t part of the back drop....
We throw out Bird Seed for the critters and of course it brings in the Squirrels. They vacuum up the seed. Usually shoot about 35 of them ea year.

Have the kangaroo Rat`s out here, in one month a couple years ago shot 61 running around in the yard.

I open up the kitchen Window, and stelthly sneek up, and when it`s front end is looking at me, shoot him between the eyes.
They are pretty skitish, detect any movement and they are gone.

Have more problems with the Mice out here. They chew up the wires and Hood Pad, and get into the cars and create a mess.
This winter so far think we have caught 40 or more of the damned things, between the garage and getting in the house, and probably 25 out in the shop. The #`s have slowed down quite a bit.

These Victor traps work good, nice thing is ya pull back on the bale/handle and give it a flip and the Mouse goes flying out in the Sage brush. Don`t have to touch the critter.
Where the catch is below the red "V", I whittle the plastic back a bit to make it a hare trigger.
Be careful not to cut too much off. Some of the smaller mice won`t set it off.
they make these in the Rat traps also.
I have adjusted these also so the Mice set them off.
Caught a Snake in one, sure pizzed him off.

This is the best price I have seen on these. Just bought 4.....IE 16.

Goat
Huh, talk about a better mousetrap. Not like the old plank with the trap mechanism like I'm used to. It's rare I see mice around here, squirrels and stray cats are the nuisance. I have a couple of cats but they don't **** on my stuff like the strays do.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sounds like you need some cats around.
These Victor traps work good,
Those also work great for cat trainers too. I just bought 10 the other day for the little black monster that I drug home 4 or 5 weeks back. Several years ago, there was one black cat around that liked to hop up onto the window ledge in mu living room that's about 2' off the ground to stare at my younger (now my oldest) house cat. He would get excited about it, start meowing, and pawing on the window. That wouldn't have been so bed except it liked to come around about midnight. I hated being woken up like that so I sat a few cat trainers on the outside of the window ledge and once was enough. No more midnight callers.
I have a couple of cats but they don't **** on my stuff like the strays do.
Oh that is SO F'ing annoying! It's about time that I get my live trap back out and hauling some cats out to the country. When it was so cold a few weeks back, I had some cat tracks on the roof of my house in the snow.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh that is SO F'ing annoying! It's about time that I get my live trap back out and hauling some cats out to the country. When it was so cold a few weeks back, I had some cat tracks on the roof of my house in the snow.
It's been a few months since I've relocated strays but the live trap is now sitting by the door of the shop, all I have to do is be certain I have my outside cat locked in the shop for the night so I don't make her mad by trapping her instead. I'll never hear the end of it.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's German engineers. I've been driving and working on my BMWs and Mercedes since 1988 and that absolutely seems to be a core tenet of their design philosophy...
I know a genuine fairly-fresh-off-the-boat german that will fess up and agree with you 100% on that one...and not bat an eye in embarrassment...

that's all they are RATS WITH HAIR ON THEIR TAILS.......
I had a welding instuctor that had a problem with tree rats in his garden...he fabbed up a squirrel launcher out of an old clay target thrower and a snow shovel...

The first time it worked...he had the spring setting adjusted WAY too tight and it absolutely slammed the little tree rat straight into the ground...

It was comical as hell the way he described it...

If you want a visual and to be on board with the situation...stretch your right arm out level with the ground (parallel)...and then swing your arm over your head and down to your left side and be sure to go more than 180 degrees from the starting point and shout WHAM !!!

(.....)....!!!! I can't help it....it gets me every time....hahahaha....

The little effer bounced and then settled....tried to stand up and toppled...shook himself and then zig zagged outta there...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7