So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I bought and installed a couple of birthday presents for the truck. It sounded like the starter was turning over faster, but since I had driven 5 or 6 blocks to pick them up at work and go back home, the engine started before I could hear the starter. I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow. The best part was the cost. I only paid $6.02 for them. The rest was paid with Monopoly money that the boss likes to give as part of our Christmas bonus.

Attachments

• 102_4452.JPG
    102_4452.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 10

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it was yesterday actually but I gotta share because it's important for those that don't know.

But I retorqued my heads. After 9-10mths of zero issues on my overhaul/rering/regasket my truck pressurized the cooling system on the way to work, and I'm pretty sure it started happening just before I got there because my temp looked fine. Anyway, on the way home I left the radiator cap vented so as to keep any extra pressure out of the cooling system and made it home (30mile trip)with no issues except it was running just a tindge warm but not hot. That was Wednesday. Thursday morning I pulled the right valve cover first and loosened everything about a 1/4 turn and retourqued 65/85/105/105. The bolts seemed loose but I didn't check them on that head, but I decided to check their torque on the other head.

When I did the left head I set the torque wrench to 85lb and it took almost a 1/4 turn to make 3 different bolts to click! I wasn't interested in studying it too much but I'd guess they were 50-60lbs. Crazy!

Drove to work this morning, no issues. I'm sure it's fine.

But I do want to say: RETORQUEING IS LEGIT!!! If you've pulled your heads and regasketed then retorque your head bolts after a few months! I thought y'all were crazy, I mean, come on, I'm not building a hot rod! But 21-1 compression wants a little more effort!

My issue now is my coolant has carbon in it from exhaust gas, I'll change my coolant filter in a couple weeks and hopefully it'll clean it up.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak did you use stock bolts, or ARP head studs? I was under the impression with head studs you don't need to re torque them, but head bolts sometimes you have to.
Head bolts. I'm not building a hot rod, just a truck that can move me and water bottles in my cupholders around......and hay once a month while being powered by used oil and whatever else I find to put in the tank. I don't ask much of it, just to stay together!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably 3 years ago or so I made a set of Side Boards for the 86 to haul home a few cords of Fire Wood.
Basically a sheet of 3/8" ply Wood ripped down the middle, and some HD 2 x 2" for the Stake pockets, and bolted together with 1/4" bolts, Fender Washers and Nylock nuts. later I painted it with Rustolium Black Oil based paint.
When not in use, kept it under the Car Port roof off the side of the shop.

Once in a while my BIL borrowed them, and finally one day told him to just keep them and I would make another set. Got the Ply Wood cut and painted and that`s as far as I got.

So last Tues had him bring them over, swapped them over to my truck. Well noticed being out in the weather, and signs paint was coming loose as Ply Wood does, gave them a good coat of Rustolium. Tip edge where the layers of wood are exposed, layed the paint good there so it would soak in. Later used some POR Seam Sealer across the edge, and really sealed it up.

Thursday headed up north of Reno 70+ miles and loaded up a Cord of mixed soft and hard wood from a guy I found on CL.
Aired up the tires to 75lbs and Air bags to 20, and truck rode pretty good.
Traffic was nuts being in the afternoon rush hour. Stopped at In N Out for a burger and coffee. Finally got home at 7PM, and unloaded the next morning.

I usually have my wood stacked and ready for winter by Oct. But this year my local wood guy flaked out on me.
Wanted to get a load today but the CL guy wasn`t available.
Tomorrow is sunny and 41 best day, then the big storms hitting Commiefornia, are coming over the mountain and hitting us, 2 -4" snow, tomorrow night and same Sunday. Then rest of week is rain/snow and crappy.

Goat

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your set up looks great and new. Looks like you made the blue bracket but where did you get the filter housing and filter. I need to do that to mine also. Looks like you been tinkering also new rad, new alt, and possible a new sidewinder set up.
The best thing I did to mine was a factory turbo setup. Sure makes it haul better.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you mind showing us how you have your coolant filter set up?

You must be registered for see images attach

For what it's worth, here's a couple of pics on how I currently have mine set up. It was quick and dirty.
This is mine, nothing spectacular. But hey, @tbowker if the filter head you have is the same as mine it only has a 1/4in hole through the brass that the filter screws on. Someone pointed that out in a thread one time and @Nero responded that it was for something or other and to drill it out bigger, so the last time I changed the filter I drilled it out to a size bigger than 3/8 for better flow........ just sayin'.

And for the diehard that likes to watch for air bubbles, because air intrusion is the bane of our existence, note the glass sight glass before my factory filter head. Obviously mine is black from wmo but I can watch for air while most people guess. There's no filter element in it, it's just for viewing perposes.

Attachments

• IMG_20240203_095308.jpg
    IMG_20240203_095308.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 12

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I bought and installed a couple of birthday presents for the truck. It sounded like the starter was turning over faster, but since I had driven 5 or 6 blocks to pick them up at work and go back home, the engine started before I could hear the starter. I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow.
Yesterday was interesting, to put it mildly. The weather forecast called for a 20% chance of rain. Rain all weekend, but not too much all together. I decided to go to Wal-Mart since the weather was supposed to be ok. I got to test out the Power Master starter with food batteries. As it was turning over the engine, all I could think about the speed was "Holy Expletive"! There was a few light sprinkles on the way to Wal-Mart. As I was at the check out at Wal-Mart, it started raining hard enough that it could be heard hitting the roof inside the building. So I got wet putting most of the stuff inside the cab. Then it rained almost all of the way home. We've been in a drought for over 2 1/2 years and I was definitely out of practice at driving in the rain after dark. About 20 miles east of home, I thought I was out of the rain because the road was dry. WRONG! It started raining again just a couple of miles west. About 15 miles east of home, it was raining hard enough that I had the wipers on high, I slowed down to 50 MPH, and I still could barely see the road. I have no idea how much rain we got, but it was a lot more than the 1/2"-3/4" that the forecast called for.
I was under the impression with head studs you don't need to re torque them,
I'm not sure about that either way, but I am planning to retorque mine this summer. One, just to be sure. Two, because I'm running Justin's studs and the instructions said to torque to factory specs while ARP's say to torque to 105 from what I've seen on here.
Tomorrow is sunny and 41 best day, then the big storms hitting Commiefornia, are coming over the mountain and hitting us, 2 -4" snow, tomorrow night and same Sunday. Then rest of week is rain/snow and crappy.
That's crazy. Here, it's been so warm that I haven't burned any wood for almost two weeks now. In fact, it was 70* on Wednesday. O knew that it was going to be warm, and since it was already 65 when I went to lunch, I turned down the thermostat and opened a couple of windows in my living room.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was interesting, to put it mildly. The weather forecast called for a 20% chance of rain. Rain all weekend, but not too much all together. I decided to go to Wal-Mart since the weather was supposed to be ok. I got to test out the Power Master starter with food batteries. As it was turning over the engine, all I could think about the speed was "Holy Expletive"! There was a few light sprinkles on the way to Wal-Mart. As I was at the check out at Wal-Mart, it started raining hard enough that it could be heard hitting the roof inside the building. So I got wet putting most of the stuff inside the cab. Then it rained almost all of the way home. We've been in a drought for over 2 1/2 years and I was definitely out of practice at driving in the rain after dark. About 20 miles east of home, I thought I was out of the rain because the road was dry. WRONG! It started raining again just a couple of miles west. About 15 miles east of home, it was raining hard enough that I had the wipers on high, I slowed down to 50 MPH, and I still could barely see the road. I have no idea how much rain we got, but it was a lot more than the 1/2"-3/4" that the forecast called for.

I'm not sure about that either way, but I am planning to retorque mine this summer. One, just to be sure. Two, because I'm running Justin's studs and the instructions said to torque to factory specs while ARP's say to torque to 105 from what I've seen on here.

That's crazy. Here, it's been so warm that I haven't burned any wood for almost two weeks now. In fact, it was 70* on Wednesday. O knew that it was going to be warm, and since it was already 65 when I went to lunch, I turned down the thermostat and opened a couple of windows in my living room.
I live in the rain, we've certainly had some dry spells, but it's like in Forrest Gump "one day it just started raining". Most people drive like "regular" when it rains, but I slow way down.

As far retorqueing?..... after my experience? I'll be retorqueing everything in the future, on rainy days I'm liable to just run over the head bolts just in case.......it's unnerving!

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you made the blue bracket but where did you get the filter housing and filter.

I did make the bracket, I should have taken my time and put a bit more of an angle on it because it doesn't sit exactly parallel to the ground and it bugs me every time I look at it. The filter I got from Napa but next time I'll get it online, much cheaper that way.

But hey, @tbowker if the filter head you have is the same as mine it only has a 1/4in hole through the brass that the filter screws on. Someone pointed that out in a thread one time and @Nero responded that it was for something or other and to drill it out bigger, so the last time I changed the filter I drilled it out to a size bigger than 3/8 for better flow........ just sayin'.
Now you have me wondering. The next time I have the filter off I'll take a look. Thanks for that info. That Nero character, he might be a youngster but he's slap full of experience. Impressive. Oh yeah, and no cupholders were created during the fabrication of that coolant filter mount.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you been tinkering also new rad, new alt, and possible a new sidewinder set up.
I bought a reman engine from Jasper and they won't warranty the engine without a new radiator. I figured since I was throwing money around like I had it to spend I might as well toss some more towards the banks turbo. Got the alternator simply to show that after the first two big ticket items that I might have been on the financial ropes but it didn't knock me out. :shoot:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online