So what did you do with your truck today?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like where the 19 gallon f series tank is sitting now with the bronco. Frame support move seems like it was meant to be. I then took 5 pieces of scrap metal from the pile and started making the tank shield. Ran out of welding wire. To be continued tomorrow.
You should be able to pass everything but a gas station with that little tank.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
To finish up my radio/amplifier saga, both of my old amps are still good. I now have some clean up details to do. I also have to order some bigger power wire, but for now, I have good (enough for me) sounding music again.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today started out, I was going to drop the front tank and see what is leaking from the top.
I have pulled the bed about 4 times, but read easier to just drop the tank. OK, I`ll try that.
Park the truck in front of the garage on the concrete, go out back crank up the tractor, load up the transmission jack, drop it off at the truck. Thought about a 2 x 6 to support the tank and take the pressure, but the straps are in the way, measure about 31" between them. Go out to the big shop and find a piece of scrap ply wood, drag out the saw and extension cord. cut wood put things back away.

Under the truck threw a couple ratchet straps around the tank, then start to remove one of the strap bolts. Used the Dewalt drill impact thing, no way it`s even trying to move.
Back out to the little shop grab the HF Earthquake 3/8 impact gun. All my tools are Dewalt, don`t know why I bought this stupid HF gun.

Da Da Da Da Da, moved nut maybe 1/4". OK this ain`t workin.
Tighten things back up, and put things away... Pullin the bed is easier, could have had it 1/2 way off.

So today was the tank, and tomorrow was to be install the new Carpet. Bought the Carpet 2 years ago, but held off because of a water leak on the drivers. Not the Windshield, had it replaced a few years ago.

So yesterday decide to dig into the leak. Wife helps me pull the Hood, throw up a dented/tweaked old hood to crawl around on. Remove the Cowell plate to see what is going on in the drainage area. There is a deep cavern on the drivers side (both sides actually) that dumps the water on the ground through a little rubber duck bill thingy, that lets debris build up behind it. Pulled it off years ago, fell apart and deep 6`d it.

Looking down the cavern notice a seam where body panels come together, maybe that is the problem, don`t look to sealed up.
head down to Wally World to get a spray can of under seal, that should do the trick.
Mostly Bed Liner Spray, Flex Seal, Gorilla spray, Rustolium etc...
Get the Rustolium. Use one of the red spray straws, stuck it in the nozzel thinking it would shoot down the crevases of the cavern.
Stuff is more like thick/thin paint, and not thick like I thought it would be. Must have shot 15 times in there.
In the end put a rubber glove on and smeared POR Seam sealer in the seam. Maybe it will work...IDK...yet, we`ll see.

This morning threw on the Hood and buttoned things up.

So after the fuel tank failure, decide to throw in the new carpet.
I laid it out on the car Trailer all day in the hot sun to soften it after being jambed in the shipping box.
Pulled all the k-rap from under and behind the seat, remove seat with my Wife`s help. Blow out the cab, and wipe it down. Throw in the new carpet. Iam sure I ordered it for a truck with a 4-spd. Thought there would be a cut out or something. Felt for the edges of the hole in the hump. Figured to just cut a X across the hole, fold back the Carpet and trim to size.
But what ever the synthetic insulation stuff it, dang near impossible to cut through. Seemed like 3 hrs to finally get the Shift Boot bolted in. After I got done, looked like a cat fight went on in the cab.
Vacuum wouldn`t take all the stuff off the carpet, had to use $ Store roller things to pick up the fuz and masking tape.

Been reading through Lazor Jock`s long build thread from back in 2013, long 4 yr build.
He mentioned when trying to find the holes for the bolts, (seat, Seat Belts) use an Awl to poke around, and then heat up a rod/bolt cherry red, and poke it into the hole, I burns/melts the carpet away to expose the hole.

I replaced the bathroom Facet for the sink, and kept the pull up rod for the stopper for some reason. Used it and some Mapp gas, and worked perfect to open up the holes.
Seat is in and looks like a million bucks.
Dynamatted the whole cab summer before last, that and the Pass side Door panel replaced and insulated, this cab will be really quiet.

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night i come crawling in 7:30 after working on the Carpet project, and have dinner. Roasted Brussel Sprouts and wild caught broiled Salmon.
Turn on the computer to see what you guys are up to, then watch YT vids.
Wife hits the sack at 10:30, ok I`ll see you in a bit, I wake up 2am in my computer chair. Kill the computer, hit the Rain locker and sack out.3am or so get woke up with this huge flash, thought someone was in the yard with a search light. ....Thunder... more huge flashes, this is serious lightening.

Turn on the computer and check the weather, 20% and 40% today after 11am. Wasn`t predicted, but here it is, way it is in the high Desert.
Run out to the truck, and all the stuff that was in the truck is in the bed along with tools, so quickly move it under cover.

Get up this morning and everything is soaked.
Lift the carpet on the driver side...and... just as wet as before.

The water runs down from high under the Dash in the corner where the side wall and Firewall meet. Runs down where the Dimmer switch is and and wets the carpet.....great.

All that work pulling hood and Cowell for nothing, at least I got that out of my system. :frustrate

Goat

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They probably could since they still sell parts for the first gen turbos for trucks. I'm sure that they could at least give you a part number if not sell you a filter.
This is from a different thread, just didn’t wanna hijack Cubey. This may be the wrong place to discuss this, but at least seems to me like the general discussion thread (or is that cup holders?) LOL

I have heard parts for the Banks turbos themselves are rather hard to find? Not real sure as I’ve heard much contradictory info on all the turbo kits… have another friend with a Hypermax 7.3 who says their customer service is terrible, I wholeheartedly disagree, the only thing I dislike, is their N a z i prices on parts… and ATS kits are obsolete??? by their company anyway, as people are restoring the kits, some with upgrades, and selling.

My overall understanding of the different turbo kits is lacking, feel free to ignore this speculation of mine as I am probably wrong.

Would like to know more about them though… what the ups and downs of each one are. My limited experience with them had been evenly divided between Hypermax and ATS kits only, till I got a Hypermax, they really are very simple. Perhaps a write up should be made explaining the complications and differences between the kits, would help people who are curious like myself, or others who are wanting to know which one to buy, unless this write up I described is already a thing? If so, I would appreciate it if someone showed me such a thread, I’d enjoy the read.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have heard parts for the Banks turbos themselves are rather hard to find?
I don't know. I do know that both Russ and CDD offer upgrades to them plus regular "stock" rebuilds so I don't know that those parts are that hard to find. Maybe they don't use "stock" parts, but parts from other brands that will work.
and ATS kits are obsolete??? by their company anyway,
Basically. ATS doesn't offer any turbo parts for IDI engines. I feel that's pretty sad since Ford used their 093 kits for the Factory Turbos.
Perhaps a write up should be made explaining the complications and differences between the kits, would help people who are curious like myself, or others who are wanting to know which one to buy, unless this write up I described is already a thing? If so, I would appreciate it if someone showed me such a thread, I’d enjoy the read.
This would be way too long of a task for me to attempt. Not to mention that I don't have enough information to be the one to start a thread. If someone did this, I feel that it should be a stickie. Then again, it could be a very deep rabbit hole if you wanted to include some of the offerings from the smaller companies like Turbo Engineering (if I got that name right).

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things getting drug out, so lip stick on a pig just to do something...

It starts with a partial clean up and acid, to maybe stop the rust...

You must be registered for see images

Then primer, that might stick...

Then some engine enamel, that lays way to thin...

This lot got done with more care for out come than that, and yes there two color black here.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crossing things off the list...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a reward for continued loyal service I decided to get the old girl something pretty.

Just the red lense for the tailgate trim piece and don't look to close at that tailgate, its not exactly mint. I think it looks a lot nicer than it did before with the old one sitting in the bumper there.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well be sure to spend more the $10 when you buy a cupholder for it or else it will break upon install for a picture. I also wouldn't mount the cupholder to the shifter. It may be hard to reach it all the way up there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online